Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] G Ilya Samsonov signs with the Golden Knights (1 year, $1.8M)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Burke has been a good goalie coach and he sees something he can work with in Samsonov, I trust him to be able to turn him into a good backup.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He is wildly inconsistent and in his head a lot. If he lets a goal in early he usually struggles to rebound the game

Moreover, he’s a bit scrambley and technically off because of that, sometimes goals will go through him or it looks like he moves out of the way or backs up from a shot

However, he does have strong stretches where he tracks the puck well and when he doesn’t overplay pucks is when he’s at his best. During these moments he looks like a fake fleury where he makes athletic saves and stops shots that you would never expect, because he doesn’t overreact or force himself out of position

He can be a good backup or even 1B, but he’s gonna need some good mentoring and constant reminders that he isn’t guarding a soccer net so big adjustments aren’t needed

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
So funny watching leafs fans trash this guy after acting like he was great the year before lmao. Then after his horrid early season woes they acted like he was a beast again :laugh:

He's inconsistent - was never a doubt. When he's on his game he did look great, but he's not the type of goalie to lead you to a cup. He's way too emotional and gets in his own way mentally

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He is wildly inconsistent and in his head a lot. If he lets a goal in early he usually struggles to rebound the game

Moreover, he’s a bit scrambley and technically off because of that, sometimes goals will go through him or it looks like he moves out of the way or backs up from a shot

However, he does have strong stretches where he tracks the puck well and when he doesn’t overplay pucks is when he’s at his best. During these moments he looks like a fake fleury where he makes athletic saves and stops shots that you would never expect, because he doesn’t overreact or force himself out of position

He can be a good backup or even 1B, but he’s gonna need some good mentoring and constant reminders that he isn’t guarding a soccer net so big adjustments aren’t needed

Vegas has a veteran team who has done well staying calm in tough situations. Especially on defense. And Sean Burke has been raved about while he's here and how he was able to get Hill to stop scrambling and play a big man style deep in the net and develop Thompson's game as well.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Dude is only 27. This is completely fine for a backup goalie and he'll have a chance to grow and work with Vegas, if he bounces back and works with them on his flaws this could easily turn into a steal of a longer contract for the guy.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think Vegas split the games between evenly Sammy and Hill. Cassidy's system will make Sammy look better than he really is. Hill hasn't proved yet that he can be a starter who logs 55+ games.

Vegas should have traded Hill, not Thompson.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Burke has been a good goalie coach and he sees something he can work with in Samsonov, I trust him to be able to turn him into a good backup.
I think this sorts of in the Middleton and between years is a sign of a rebound. Me thinks this will be a good signing. Burke is an ace as a goaliecoach.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Having talent helps but I'd say most of the intangibles are in the aspects you can't quantify - the sense of perseverance, ability to overcoming challenges - having that mental toughness. I look at Stuart Skinner and while he would never be Veniza level performance, I would take him and his psychological maturity and ability to ride out trials and obstacles over a talented goalie who struggles mentally when the going gets tough. Samsonov I would consider in the latter camp and perhaps ultimately it is a personality thing but his inability to control his emotions and let the situation discourage him, affecting his performance, is to, me a liability.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So funny watching leafs fans trash this guy after acting like he was great the year before lmao. Then after his horrid early season woes they acted like he was a beast again :laugh:

So the outrageous part is *checks post* fans being happy when a guy is playing well and not when he isn't?

Every board on this site is guilty of that

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad