Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Alex Tuch signs extension with Vegas (7 years, $4.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Don’t mind this. Tuch is super fast, skilled, and has size. He has all the tools of a star player.

If he progresses, this is a steal. Otherwise, it’s at least even value.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That seems quite high for a guy who has 37 points at the NHL level.

He's probably worth it. But his agent did a good job to get that money, most guys with that resume get less. Just look at what Arvidsson got after a 61 point season. Same term, and 4.25.

And the season before that he had 16 points. Arvidsson's contract was worth 5.3% of the cap when it was signed. Tuch's is worth 5.9% - less actually when you consider that this doesn't kick in until next season when the cap will have gone up again. Age doesn't differ much, with Arvidsson's taking him from 24-31 and Tuch's taking him from 23-30. But the big difference is the size. Both of these guys have some skill and can skate, but Tuch isn't 5-9 and 180 like Arvidsson... he's 6-4 and 220.

Yeah, maybe they jumped the gun a little... but when you look around the league at what other big guys who can play get signed for (Kreider, etc), this isn't "quite high". He had 37 pts in his first NHL season, and has the size and skill to put up a lot more. So while it's possible that this is a little high in the next couple of seasons, long term this will end up being a very good contract.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
High risk, high reward kind of deal. If Tuch continues to develop it could be great, if he doesn’t it could be pretty bad. Regardless this is bad precedent to give a winger with 37 career points a $35 million nhl contract.

Reactions: Tripod and FVM

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I remember when these long term deals were exclusively for star players

Welcome to the salary cap world. Everyone wants long term contracts. Teams want them because they secure a player to a fixed cap hit while the cap keeps going up. I mean look at Crosby's cap hit compared to McDavid, Tavares, Eichel's, etc. And for roll players and young guys making even less... it's even more attractive.

And the players want these contracts because it guarantee's their financial future. They give up a little long term, but should something go wrong, they're millionaires with a nest egg to fall back on.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Great contract. 2-3 years from now, north of 4M will be veteran 3rd line winger money.

As long as there aren't egregious signing bonuses, any time a team can get a well under 26 player they believe in signed long term it's a huge strategic advantage since for the next few seasons these contracts can be bought out for 1/6th of the cap hit if things go badly.

Because there are no more back diving 13 year contracts, identifying these young stars and locking them down 7-8 years is going to be a huge part of building a contender. Yeah, anybody can tell MacKinnon is going to live up to a 7 year deal, but a Theodore and Tuch are on a level below the kind of players that typically get locked down. Or at least, they've proven less. Signing these guys to these kind of deals could provide a massive advantage of a team gets it right.

Not really... there's been lots of young players getting 6-8 yr deals. Several of which received theirs after a season or two.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Meh, I would have done a bridge, but Vegas has cap space to throw around.

And what does his 3rd contract look like? Lets say he improves a little and becomes a 25g/50pt player. What will that get him on a contract? Kreider after a pair of 21g/43+pt seasons received a 4x4.65m deal a few years ago. Wilson after a 35pt season received a 6x5.16m deal - and Tuch is absolutely the better player there.

So lets say he signs a 2 year contract at ~2.5m, and has a 20g/40pt season and a 25g/50pt season. What does 5 years for a 25yr old power forward who's 6-4, 220 and can skate cost? I would bet that it's a lot more than 5.16m. Especially if the cap goes up to 84-88m between now and when he would need that 3rd deal.

Is there risk there? Absolutely... but LV having cap space to throw around is exactly why they signed this deal. In the short term it's a little high. But long term this is going to end up being a favorable deal to LV - maybe more if Tuch develops better than expected.

Reactions: allevat

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I like Tuch. He’s a big guy with speed and he’s very good at making plays for himself. Good deal for VGK.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I remember when these long term deals were exclusively for star players
I remember when you had to actually earn what you get paid. All these GM's banking on players getting significantly better is not good for the league. Hopefully Dubas doesn't follow suit.

Reactions: shello

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Basically both sides are taking something of a gamble. Tuch less so though as he just guaranteed himself financial security for the rest of his life.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
This makes the 5.x dubas is trying to scam nylander with look much worse

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Basically both sides are taking something of a gamble. Tuch less so though as he just guaranteed himself financial security for the rest of his life.
I know exactly what you mean but I can not resist saying “he’s going to die in 7 years?!” :sarcasm:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Nothing against Tuch, but I can't help but think the team take a huge risk here. It could end up ok, but the risk looks unnecessary... for only 3 UFA years!

4,75 M/y x 7y a year for a player that has 1 full season of NHL experience is too much.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I like it. He has all the tools to turn into a legit top 6 winger scoring 50+ points consistently. I mean 3rd liners get that amount of money as ufa´s now so its not gonna be bad anyway longterm

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When explaining to your grandchildren when there were NHL lockouts, this will be one of the contracts mentioned.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
And the season before that he had 16 points. Arvidsson's contract was worth 5.3% of the cap when it was signed. Tuch's is worth 5.9% - less actually when you consider that this doesn't kick in until next season when the cap will have gone up again. Age doesn't differ much, with Arvidsson's taking him from 24-31 and Tuch's taking him from 23-30. But the big difference is the size. Both of these guys have some skill and can skate, but Tuch isn't 5-9 and 180 like Arvidsson... he's 6-4 and 220.

Yeah, maybe they jumped the gun a little... but when you look around the league at what other big guys who can play get signed for (Kreider, etc), this isn't "quite high". He had 37 pts in his first NHL season, and has the size and skill to put up a lot more. So while it's possible that this is a little high in the next couple of seasons, long term this will end up being a very good contract.

Not unrealistic to think he can have several 30+ Goal seasons during that contract .

Really excited to see what he can do in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Riptide

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
A lot of potential here. If he keeps his effort level consistent and plays engaged, he’s a 30-30 winger at the least.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

A guy with 37 career points signing a $33M deal is hardly taking a risk.

Even if he continues to grow his career he will hit UFA at 29 and sign another massive deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad