Proposal: Vegas - Van

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Feb 19, 2018
I’ve been looking at “stud Dmen” as JR has been rumoured to be after, and also teams that might have one with Cap issues. I saw a report today with Boudreau going off on how JT Miller is the true leader all things Canucks, I can see things getting awkward with the current Captain Bo Horvat.

VAN: Shea Theodore + 2nd round pick

VEGAS: Horvat + Hoglander + Rathbone

Vegas saves Cap space for when Stone comes off LTIR. They add a all around 2-way Center who is the Captain of his current team, proven playoff performer as well. They get a stud in Hoglander on a ELC for the rest of this year and next. Rathbone has the potential to play the game similar to Theodore if all things click, he’s redundant once the Canucks add Theodore.

Van adds a hometown “stud Dman” who can do it all! I know people are going to say he’s not RHS, but those guys who play RHD and are a stud, aren’t going anywhere. Vancouver looks to build the RSD through another trade or through the draft, these guys that are good and young, just aren’t available. The second round pick let’s Vancouver take a shot in the draft at a lottery pick, they don’t have one this year. The pick could also be deferred to 2023 as well if needed.

Feb 19, 2018
This should be good.

why would Vegas do this? They have strong C depth already and Shea is their best blueliner
It’s for all around depth and cap space. Vegas will probably have to pay through the teeth in order to shed $10 million in cap space and other teams knowing this. They are going to have to lose a good piece that makes a decent amount of money. Eichel they just traded for and they signed/traded for Stone and Petriangelo just signed as a UFA. That leaves Theodore as the 4th highest paid player on the team.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
This trade makes zero sense for Vegas. As a Canucks fan I get us wanting a Theodore-like D… but this isn’t it (not that I wouldn’t like shea). They are deep down the middle. If they want to shed salary it likely won’t be Theodore going either.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It’s for all around depth and cap space. Vegas will probably have to pay through the teeth in order to shed $10 million in cap space and other teams knowing this. They are going to have to lose a good piece that makes a decent amount of money. Eichel they just traded for and they signed/traded for Stone and Petriangelo just signed as a UFA. That leaves Theodore as the 4th highest paid player on the team.

They are not trading their best d man signed to a great contract for 1 season of Horvat!
C'mon, man. They can trade Dadanov or f*** waive him. And if there pushed to make a desperate move, then they can move Reilly Smith.

And I love it how Vegas is also sending a 2nd too.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It’s not “so bad for Vegas”. They shouldn’t trade Theodore but value wise this is more than fair
No, it's BAD.

3 years of Theodore > Horvat (1 year before being a UFA)

what else is being added to offset the years and quality of player that Van is getting? Hoglander?
IMO, Not enough. And then the 2nd and tack on of Rathbone - c'mon.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No, it's BAD.

3 years of Theodore > Horvat (1 year before being a UFA)

what else is being added to offset the years and quality of player that Van is getting? Hoglander?
IMO, Not enough. And then the 2nd and tack on of Rathbone - c'mon.
Sigh I hate that argument so much. Just because their contract is over doesn’t mean you only have them for one year. 99% of key players re-sign with the team that acquires them. Mark Stone for example. Horvat isn’t that far off in value from Theodore. He’s the captain of the team and good for 25 goals and 50-60 points per year while being one of the best in the league at faceoffs. He’s also only 26 years old. Adding a top 9 and future top line/top 6 young winger in Hoglander plus a solid defensive prospect isn’t “so bad”. Vegas doesn’t do this though they can clear cap in other ways.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sigh I hate that argument so much. Just because their contract is over doesn’t mean you only have them for one year. 99% of key players re-sign with the team that acquires them. Mark Stone for example. Horvat isn’t that far off in value from Theodore. He’s the captain of the team and good for 25 goals and 50-60 points per year while being one of the best in the league at faceoffs. He’s also only 26 years old. Adding a top 9 and future top line/top 6 young winger in Hoglander plus a solid defensive prospect isn’t “so bad”. Vegas doesn’t do this though they can clear cap in other ways.

Except Vegas can’t afford Horvat and Karlsson is a comparable player signed for years to a cheaper deal than Horvat will likely command not to even mention Stephenson.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Except Vegas can’t afford Horvat and Karlsson is a comparable player signed for years to a cheaper deal than Horvat will likely command not to even mention Stephenson.
Which is why I said Vegas doesn’t do this nor should trade Theodore for a forward. But like I said this isn’t a bad trade value wise unlike the other poster said

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

Right. The whole point is that Vegas has no need for Horvat. Eichel-Karlsson-Stephenson-Patrick/Howden/Roy is about as deep as you can get at the C position.

How would they replace Theodore in the lineup? How could they replace his skating on the blue line and for under 5 million a year at that?

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Yea, I really don't think Vegas clears cap by trading their highly affordable dman for redundant pieces :dunno:

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Micheal Ferland & Tucker Poolman are available if Vegas needs players on LTIR

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Easy no for the canucks. We should be in a retool mode, by the time we are competitive we might only have a year or two of his prime left. What we need to do is to trade horvat for future pieces.

Feb 19, 2018
Yea, I really don't think Vegas clears cap by trading their highly affordable dman for redundant pieces :dunno:
I was actually under the impression he was making $7.5 a year. If he is making under $5 million a year no way we are getting him. Provorov was the other guy I had interest in a Horvat trade.

Feb 19, 2018
Easy no for the canucks. We should be in a retool mode, by the time we are competitive we might only have a year or two of his prime left. What we need to do is to trade horvat for future pieces.
Then we risk loosing out on Demko’s prime years. Our focus as of right now should be rebuilding the defence around him.

Ledge And Dairy

They don't need to shed 10M

Reactions: mundyc3

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

So to clear cap space, Vegas trades away one of their star defensemen on a $5.2m AAV...for a center on a $5.5m AAV. Is this what you're trying to convey? Not to mention Horvat is signed for less term, and when re-signed will be coming in at a raise.

And for "all-around depth", you've traded away, again, a top young defenseman for a center...when Vegas already has Eichel, Karlsson, and Stephenson in the hold. Hmm, yeah about that.

Did you actually think about this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad