Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Let me twist what you are talking about. 99% of fans believe he was healthy enough to come back a lot earlier than he did, but couldn't cause the Knights would have has to move an equal contract out.

No one is saying he was not injured. He was kept on the LTIR longer due to cap reasons.

I don't know the poster I quoted said exactly that.

WHO WAS VERY CLEARLY NEVER INJURED AND VERY CLEARLY LIED ABOUT IT.

That said there is so much grey area with injuries between too injured to play and on the flipside playing when injured. Arguably after watching the Dallas series to me I'd say Stone was clearly still playing injured, he was probably 50% of a healthy stone. Yes he gotten injured roughly the same time 3 years in row, and yes three years in a row he was playing game 1 of the playoffs. What everyone seems to forget or ignore is that first year he was back a week or two before the regular season ended. I can accept that it looks dodgy, I could accept their could be truth to the moans, I just don't believe it to be the case.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Wouldn’t be surprised if Vegas is up to shenanigans on the date of his physical.

For example, did they learn he’s on a safari with limited phone/WiFi access and then schedule a physical in two days? Not sure how much notice they’re obligated to provide.

But also wouldn’t be surprised if Vegas made it seem like an optional meeting and then it turned out to be a mandatory physical.

Reactions: Fatass

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
The narrative that "why didn't he just report, anyone could do that" is severely underestimating actual mental health issues. It doesn't really take all that much to make a person unable to get up from the bed, for example, or be aware of what day of the week it is, or buy plane tickets etc. I wouldn't rule out somebody in his shoes just being completely oblivious to what's going on in the world, or care at all about the NHL season, or remember that there's some medicals that he'd need to attend if his mind is set on "I'm done playing".

Vegas probably didn't try very hard to remind him that he needs to attend the medical.

In a lot of cases the only way a person could make this kind of an appointment, no matter the financial benefit, is to have somebody else walk them to the appointment holding their hand. Lehner probably doesn't have that person around him. Could easily explain everything without any schemes.

I'm 100% in support of mental health and raising awareness around it, and I've been a massive supporter or Lehner and cheered for him to recover and succeed.

But for the bolded, he does have an agent whose salary is dependent on Lehner being paid and should understand the severity of the situation. IMO even if Lehner can't keep track of his obligations or doesn't have the mental bandwidth to do that at the moment, the agent should be taking just as much blame for not handling the situation and ensuring that his client shows up for the one task required of him. Even if that means physically going to Lehner's location and literally holding his hand to lead him there.

In this case the agent is Craig Oster, who has 7 players signed with Vegas, his top team. https://puckpedia.com/agent/craig-oster

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Wouldn’t be surprised if Vegas is up to shenanigans on the date of his physical.

For example, did they learn he’s on a safari with limited phone/WiFi access and then schedule a physical in two days? Not sure how much notice they’re obligated to provide.

But also wouldn’t be surprised if Vegas made it seem like an optional meeting and then it turned out to be a mandatory physical.
Yeah because any of that wouldn't result in Lehner & the NHLPA filing any grievances. :laugh:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I'm 100% in support of mental health and raising awareness around it, and I've been a massive supporter or Lehner and cheered for him to recover and succeed.

But for the bolded, he does have an agent whose salary is dependent on Lehner being paid and should understand the severity of the situation. IMO even if Lehner can't keep track of his obligations or doesn't have the mental bandwidth to do that at the moment, the agent should be taking just as much blame for not handling the situation and ensuring that his client shows up for the one task required of him. Even if that means physically going to Lehner's location and literally holding his hand to lead him there.

In this case the agent is Craig Oster, who has 7 players signed with Vegas, his top team. https://puckpedia.com/agent/craig-oster
Good point and fully agree. The agent, who I assume would be getting a cut from the season salary, should make sure Lehner makes the appointment. An agency should know how to handle this and should have the personnel to make sure it happens.

Since that clearly didn't happen, the story goes back to a mystery and speculation. I hope we get to hear the full extent someday.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

While you are correct we've also learned over the years that alot of these agents aren't worth the pen the contract was signed with. Not to mention if he has that many players signed with Vegas he may be more than willing to have a sacrificial lamb so that maybe he gets better deals with them later on. Agents aren't exactly known to be the most honorable guys in the world.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

This is a pretty serious reach. Training camps are starting, and every player has to report for physicals. If they had expected him to report 2 weeks ago, maybe you'd have a point, but they didn't. They expected him to report at the same time as everyone else.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
This is a pretty serious reach. Training camps are starting, and every player has to report for physicals. If they had expected him to report 2 weeks ago, maybe you'd have a point, but they didn't. They expected him to report at the same time as everyone else.

What plausible theory do you have for him possibly intentionally forfeiting money?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
While you are correct we've also learned over the years that alot of these agents aren't worth the pen the contract was signed with. Not to mention if he has that many players signed with Vegas he may be more than willing to have a sacrificial lamb so that maybe he gets better deals with them later on. Agents aren't exactly known to be the most honorable guys in the world.
Agents clearly look forward to being sued.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
oh-no-planet-of-the-apes.gif

I feel sooo bad for Vegas.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I have no idea, but not knowing doesn't give any credence to ridiculous conspiracy theories.

It’s more ridiculous than forfeiting millions of dollars, especially knowing how cut throat Vegas can be? Has Lehner ever forfeited millions of dollars before?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It’s more ridiculous than forfeiting millions of dollars, especially knowing how cut throat Vegas can be? Has Lehner ever forfeited millions of dollars before?
Yes, it is, for the very reason I already laid out. Lehner was expected to report for a physical at the same time as every other player. If your ridiculous theory were remotely credible, they would have required him to report at a different time.

We know Lehner has a history of mental health issues. He also has ongoing bankruptcy hearings. It's possible that either one or both of those things contributed to him not showing up, but I have no idea and will not speculate on it.

Just because you can't think of a good reason why Lehner would do this doesn't mean the terrible reason you came up with is plausible.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like a pretty harsh penalty for missing a medical exam. Ya, Lehner should probably get fined, but fined 5M? C'mon. I mean, the medical exam is only a formality. Does anyone think that he will all of a sudden be declared fit to play by Vegas? Does anyone think that Vegas actually wants him declared fit to play?

Vegas is starting to become one of my least favorite franchises, now that the clown in ARI is out of the league.

• Haha
Reactions: Rafafouille

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Seems like a pretty harsh penalty for missing a medical exam. Ya, Lehner should probably get fined, but fined 5M? C'mon. I mean, the medical exam is only a formality. Does anyone think that he will all of a sudden be declared fit to play by Vegas? Does anyone think that Vegas actually wants him declared fit to play?

Vegas is starting to become one of my least favorite franchises, now that the clown in ARI is out of the league.
No and No, but I would say to put him back on LTIR for this season he would still have be declared unfit at said medical. I imagine this more about making sure his cap hit isn't on the books than it is about the $5mil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad