Lehner will get paid, but is not counting against the cap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
serious answer: I think Vegas obviously get perks but I don't really see it here? Players are required under the CBA to take physicals. By missing his, Lehner violated the CBA. If anything this is just a win for Lehner who still gets paid despite Vegas having a strong argument to terminate his contract? Or rather a win for his numerous creditors.

joke answer: League also announces Vegas gets Ottawa's 2027 1st round pick

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I'm a bit too out of the loop to fully know what's truly up.

I was under the assumption that Lehner was hurt to the point of never playing again. There are plenty of guys that fall in that camp, but they all still get paid. What was to gain for him by not taking the physical? Mental health reasons?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
serious answer: I think Vegas obviously get perks but I don't really see it here? Players are required under the CBA to take physicals. By missing his, Lehner violated the CBA. If anything this is just a win for Lehner who still gets paid despite Vegas having a strong argument to terminate his contract? Or rather a win for his numerous creditors.
Because if this was allowed, there would be no bad contracts in the league because every team would just tell their bad, overpaid players to stay the f*** away, shut up and collect their pay cheque. And the majority of players would probably be fine with it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

So Lehner is basically inactive/suspended and thus Vegas doesn't have to LTIR him, but Lehner still somehow gets his money?

You don't think Vegas would've just preferred to terminate his contract? The dude is on the run from creditors after the snake farm debacle (and other financial mistakes/irresponsibility), I think the VGK and NHL are perfectly reasonable I'm concluding that Lehner will be making no attempts to contribute to the hockey club in any fashion and the result is he's still going to get paid millions of dollars for doing nothing and violating the terms of his contract. Granted, Vegas knew he wouldn't appear, but the point remains.

It's a little different with LTIRetired guys because officially they're presented as guys who could play per the terms of their contract but for their long term injury. Lehner didn't bother to appear for a physical to check off the formalities needed to retain that status. The real "benefit" would be if Vegas was allowed to terminate the contract for breach of the player contract. If he had appeared for the physical, he'd probably fail it, and he'd still be on LTIR with the salary earnings not counting towards the cap. If anything this helps Lehner more than it helps the Knights.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I was under the assumption that Lehner was hurt to the point of never playing again. There are plenty of guys that fall in that camp, but they all still get paid. What was to gain for him by not taking the physical? Mental health reasons?

To my understanding there was just miscommunication on whether he had to do it or not. He coulda also assumed, but I think I heard that it was just 3-way miscommunication, which would not shock me with the parties involved. Now Lehner technically breached his contract, but instead of making it all legally contentious or a drawn out conflict they just did this instead.

So I get the motivation, but like- does the CBA allow this? The other owners? How does that work? Seems fine in a one-off, but sets a really weird precedent.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I'm not sure if anyone knows why Lehner didn't take the physical. I'm sure if it was just him being stubborn about it, they would have simply terminated without any push back, so mental health reasons is probably the best guess.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Because Bettman doesn't want another desert based team to fail.
You might be right but the blatant actions the league let's them get away with are ridiculous. I know the owners don't really care as all of them are about the bottom line and he makes them money. However the fans get screwed. Oh well rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad