Vegas gets a 48 hour window before the expansion draft to sign players

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
http://www.tsn.ca/lebrun-vegas-to-get-head-start-on-free-agency-1.594178

So Vegas gets essentially a two day head start on signing players before the expansion draft from teams unprotected lists. Does this change your teams protection list with this in mind?

I think its a huge advantage being given to Las Vegas, and just put a smile on every pending RFA in the league. They just got a lot of leverage over their current teams as they can just say the word Vegas and have their GM's start to sweat.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
They need to stop adding things so GMs can prepare themselves. I think Bob McKenzie retweeted something like this before but I didn't think they confirmed it

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Its the first Ive heard of it, and I am (or will be) a Vegas fan. And TSN just now heard about it unless Lebrun has been in the dark, which is certainly possible haha.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

So Vegas gets essentially a two day head start on signing players before the expansion draft from teams unprotected lists. Does this change your teams protection list with this in mind?

I think its a huge advantage being given to Las Vegas, and just put a smile on every pending RFA in the league. They just got a lot of leverage over their current teams as they can just say the word Vegas and have their GM's start to sweat.

Why? Most of the good ones will be protected, they won't get any extra leverage, Las Vegas can't sign other teams RFA's unless they're unprotected in which case Vegas can talk to them agree to a contract and then take them and sign that contract.

Same for UFA's. If a team wants to protect a pending UFA, Vegas can talk to them all they want they can't take the players UFA rights if they're protected.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Hasn't every expansion team been able to sign players before the expansion draft? I know the Preds had a player or two under contract already before their draft (Marian Cisar for sure).

I don't think it's going to be a huge deal, but you never know.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
It makes a lot of sense for Vegas

1. All unprotected UFA's and RFA's can sign with Vegas 48 hours before the draft. This way they know exactly who wants to play for them. Those that don't, they wont be wasting a pick on.

So lets say Oilers do not protect Russell.
a) he signs with vegas and Oilers can no longer lose any more players.
b) Vegas wants to sign him but Russell does not want to sign in Vegas, Vegas now chooses someone different from the oilers.
c) Oilers can resign Russell after draft but before everyone else can talk to him.
d) Oilers let Russell walk or he does not want to sign with oilers

I think that makes it a good deal for Vegas

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
No top or even middle end UFAs are going to sign with an expansion team. As much as the rules are better than they used to be this team is still going to be brutal their first couple of years.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They need to stop adding things so GMs can prepare themselves. I think Bob McKenzie retweeted something like this before but I didn't think they confirmed it

8 months isn't enough warning? How much more warning do they need?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No top or even middle end UFAs are going to sign with an expansion team. As much as the rules are better than they used to be this team is still going to be brutal their first couple of years.

Maybe top, but middle tier free agents I could see taking a little extra cash to play for LV

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Maybe top, but middle tier free agents I could see taking a little extra cash to play for LV

For sure. A million or so extra for guys in 3-5m range is a big enticement. They also get to be key players at the start of a new team, nice to be wanted and it might pay off for them after their playing careers are over if they move into off ice roles with the vegas team.

One thing in Vegas' favour is they can negotiate a deal with a UFA but not sign them allowing them to take an RFA and circle back for the UFA signing later.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
This strong market should does need a lot of extra help to create a roster.

Strong market.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
For now at least, no state income tax for Vegas.

Florida, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, and Vegas now.

Depending on the election results, a California player will pay 10-13% more for their home games
Than those teams.

Does give a little more buying power.
Especially for high paid players

Mad Brills*

Should add that if they sign a UFA/RFA in that period, they give up the right to select a player from that team.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I don't think LV is looking to spend more on players to entice them to come.

That is the worst possible way to start the franchise off - Behind the cap and contract 8-ball

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

How did they get any leverage? If they're left unprotected LV could just take them in the draft. If they're protected LV can't talk to them.

This really isn't much of a benefit to LV. If anything I think it's more of a benefit to current teams. They could potentially get a pending UFA taken by LV that they would be losing anyway, and save them from losing a roster player.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
How did they get any leverage? If they're left unprotected LV could just take them in the draft. If they're protected LV can't talk to them.

This really isn't much of a benefit to LV. If anything I think it's more of a benefit to current teams. They could potentially get a pending UFA taken by LV that they would be losing anyway, and save them from losing a roster player.

I think you may be right after reading it a second and third time. I was under the impression that Vegas was going to be able to talk to even protected RFA's at this time if they were still unsigned.

That wouldve been a huge bonus. The way you stated it, it does sound like a good thing for other teams.

Say Ottawa cant reach an agreement with Zack Smith and plan on letting him go. Vegas signs him instead of picking up Methot. Thats probably a better scenario for Ottawa than vice-versa.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
It makes a lot of sense for Vegas

1. All unprotected UFA's and RFA's can sign with Vegas 48 hours before the draft. This way they know exactly who wants to play for them. Those that don't, they wont be wasting a pick on.

So lets say Oilers do not protect Russell.
a) he signs with vegas and Oilers can no longer lose any more players.
b) Vegas wants to sign him but Russell does not want to sign in Vegas, Vegas now chooses someone different from the oilers.
c) Oilers can resign Russell after draft but before everyone else can talk to him.
d) Oilers let Russell walk or he does not want to sign with oilers

I think that makes it a good deal for Vegas

In the case you mentioned the Oilers would likely still lose another player.
They won't need to use a pick to grab a UFA. They would just sign after they became a FA.

As to those saying they need to stop changing the rules.
I'm sure GM's have known everything it's just the fans finding out piecemeal. And there has already been a time for teams to talk to pending UFA's so that is really nothing new. They just get a little earlier since they are trying to build a team from scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad