Vatrano cross-checks Kostin and gets knocked down with a left hook

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
If by "squaring up" you mean "facing someone", then sure. Facing someone doesn't mean you are fair game to be punched. And again: just because you don't know what a sucker punch is, doesn't mean nobody else does.
You can say the earth is flat all you want, don't make it true.

You don't need to announce you're going to punch someone for it to be fair game. I know you're a Ducks' fan, but that doesn't mean you can't think rationally in these instances.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
But Vatrano was elbowed first. So are you suggesting he could have sucker punched Kostin instead of a crosscheck and it would just be an example of defending himself? And the penalty would have thus been on Kostin?

Or are we just going to pretend the elbow that started it all did not happen?
I mean a real man would square off not use a weapon to defend himself, but players are becoming more and more gutless nowadays

Reactions: Nfumass

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
You can say the earth is flat all you want, don't make it true.

You don't need to announce you're going to punch someone for it to be fair game. I know you're a Ducks' fan, but that doesn't mean you can't think rationally in these instances.

And you can say what Kostin did isn't a sucker punch all you want, doesn't make it true.

I mean a real man would square off not use a weapon to defend himself, but players are becoming more and more gutless nowadays

A real man wouldn't throw an elbow then act pissy when he gets crosschecked either, but here we are.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
And you can say what Kostin did isn't a sucker punch all you want, doesn't make it true.
After all the reasons I gave, and you not providing one, I'm pretty sure it does.

Me: he was physically engaging with the another player, squaring up, and looking directly at him
You: the guy didn't say "I'm going to punch you" therefore he didn't know it was coming

By your definition, sucker punching happens all the time during scrums. Smarten up.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
After all the reasons I gave, and you not providing one, I'm pretty sure it does.

Me: he was physically engaging with the another player, squaring up, and looking directly at him
You: the guy didn't say "I'm going to punch you" therefore he didn't know it was coming

I don't need to provide a reason why it was a sucker punch, by definition, it was. I'm sorry you're upset about it, but it changes nothing. Kostin elbowed Vatrano (cheapshot). Vatrano crosschecked Kostin (cheapshot). Kostin sucker punches Vatrano. Again, you being upset about this changes nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Thread is hilarious.

The chicken wing was barely an elbow - he was digging for the puck. Even if it was an elbow, he was going about 2mph and didn't even connect. Let's not cry wolf here. Vatrano took offense anyway - fine - and put a lot of weight into a cross check. Fine. Kostin said f*** around and find out, and dropped him with a gloved punch. Might have been embellished, might have been a great punch, might have been unfair to punch but far better to have done it with glove and squared up from the front, not side or back.

Both got offsetting minors. Seems about right given the cross check was also dangerous.

Move on.

Reactions: druncan

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
I don't need to provide a reason why it was a sucker punch, by definition, it was. I'm sorry you're upset about it, but it changes nothing. Kostin elbowed Vatrano (cheapshot). Vatrano crosschecked Kostin (cheapshot). Kostin sucker punches Vatrano. Again, you being upset about this changes nothing.
Upset about what? (let me guess you don't need to provide an answer to that either, shocker) That a lot of people don't know what a sucker punch is? I think it's pathetic, but I'm not upset.

Let me guess, you don't Vatrano didn't dive either after getting hit.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Upset about what? (let me guess you don't need to provide an answer to that either, shocker) That a lot of people don't know what a sucker punch is? I think it's pathetic, but I'm not upset.

Let me guess, you don't Vatrano didn't dive either after getting hit.

You seem to be upset that Kostin sucker punched Vatrano, I'm not sure why. I absolutely think Vatrano dove after the sucker punch though.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
LOL You're trying way too hard. That "elbow" wasn't much of anything, give me a break.

A sucker punch is an unexpected punch. If you try to cheapshot someone by cross-checking them, the last thing you should be is unaware of any incoming retaliation. Maybe Frankie Vatrano is too stupid to understand this, or maybe he needs to stop cross-checking people if he doesn't expect any incoming retaliation...

Reactions: coooldude

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
LOL You're trying way too hard. That "elbow" wasn't much of anything, give me a break.

A sucker punch is an unexpected punch. If you try to cheapshot someone by cross-checking them, the last thing you should be is unaware of any incoming retaliation. Maybe Frankie Vatrano is too stupid to understand this, or maybe he needs to stop cross-checking people if he doesn't expect any incoming retaliation...

Don't elbow people, don't get cross checked. Easy math.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It wasn’t a sucker punch. He hoped to get punched. He was playing the rat and trying to get a call. It wasn’t even much of a punch. Imo the guy flopped.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Thread is hilarious.

The chicken wing was barely an elbow - he was digging for the puck. Even if it was an elbow, he was going about 2mph and didn't even connect. Let's not cry wolf here. Vatrano took offense anyway - fine - and put a lot of weight into a cross check. Fine. Kostin said f*** around and find out, and dropped him with a gloved punch. Might have been embellished, might have been a great punch, might have been unfair to punch but far better to have done it with glove and squared up from the front, not side or back.

Both got offsetting minors. Seems about right given the cross check was also dangerous.

Move on.
lmao. the puck was already gone when kostin elbowed vatrano and he was certainly not digging for it.

i wouldn't compare a crosscheck that you see happen every game to a pretty blatant sucker punch. kostin should've been thrown out of the game

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
lmao. the puck was already gone when kostin elbowed vatrano and he was certainly not digging for it.

i wouldn't compare a crosscheck that you see happen every game to a pretty blatant sucker punch. kostin should've been thrown out of the game
Stay mad, man!

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Lol calls a guy glass chin, brags about fight history and then tells me to lighten up, if that's not some classic shit posting....

I think you've completely missed my point, which was that this was not a fight. There's a big difference between eating a shot when you are squared up and ready for it, versus when you aren't. Hence why a boxer can stand in and eat shots for 12 rounds but will still get absolutely floored if sucker punched.

10/10 HFboards members would get put on their ass by that punch in that same scenario
He cross checked the guy. If he's not ready for retaliation that's his problem.

Reactions: coooldude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad