Value of: Vasili Podkolzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It only makes sense if they think there is a real possibility he wont make the team in a month. Waiting until it's time to put him on waivers will only sap any leverage they have.

I just don't think the Canucks waivers situation is as dire as it's made out to be.

-Pete.
-Miller.
-Brock.
-DeBrusk.
-Garland.
-Dakota.
-Heinen.
-Bluegers.
-Suter.
-Sherwood.
-Hoglander.
-Podkolzin.
-Sprong.
-Aman.

-Hughes.
-Hronek.
-Soucy.
-Giraffe.
-Forbort.
-Vinny.
-Juulsen.

Plus Demko + Silovs.

That's a full roster but it works easily.

If it comes down to the point where Podkolzin lays a complete egg and needs to be ditched, there will still be teams that'll send over something to acquire him before he gets anywhere near waivers. Heck, Kravtsov fetched...well mostly nothing, but a kinda sorta prospect, and he was nowhere near as proven as a useful NHL player as Podkolzin. Who is really at worst...a super unremarkable 4th line checker. I really doubt it gets to that point.

He's also a guy who has scored ~30pts in the NHL as a complementary winger with size, and he's relatively physical sometimes, plus he's got wing versatility and some defensive upside, plus puck possession upside and some actual pedigree. He's the opposite of a "Top-6 or bust" type prospect.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I just don’t see how he doesn’t contribute at least 15 goals and 15 assists as a complimentary player alongside Miller or Pettersson. He’s kind of wasted on the 4th line as he resorts to 4th line dump and chase with no sort of structure but even in saying that there’s value that he brings even just as physical/fast depth piece for the bottom lines.

Canucks have 2 openings in the top 6 for a winger that will be in contention with the likes of Hoglander, Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood, and Podkolzin himself. If Tocchet wants more speed and physicality up there he won’t have a problem giving Podkolzin a shot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks won't lose him on waivers for nothing......if he can't make it in Vancouver, a 'hockey trade' is more likely for another young player struggling to establish himself.

How about Podkiolzin for Kaliyev straight up?

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
The Canucks won't lose him on waivers for nothing......if he can't make it in Vancouver, a 'hockey trade' is more likely for another young player struggling to establish himself.

Van adds in that deal - Kaliyev has proven more to this point.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I just don't think the Canucks waivers situation is as dire as it's made out to be.

-Pete.
-Miller.
-Brock.
-DeBrusk.
-Garland.
-Dakota.
-Heinen.
-Bluegers.
-Suter.
-Sherwood.
-Hoglander.
-Podkolzin.
-Sprong.
-Aman.

-Hughes.
-Hronek.
-Soucy.
-Giraffe.
-Forbort.
-Vinny.
-Juulsen.

Plus Demko + Silovs.

That's a full roster but it works easily.

If it comes down to the point where Podkolzin lays a complete egg and needs to be ditched, there will still be teams that'll send over something to acquire him before he gets anywhere near waivers. Heck, Kravtsov fetched...well mostly nothing, but a kinda sorta prospect, and he was nowhere near as proven as a useful NHL player as Podkolzin. Who is really at worst...a super unremarkable 4th line checker. I really doubt it gets to that point.

He's also a guy who has scored ~30pts in the NHL as a complementary winger with size, and he's relatively physical sometimes, plus he's got wing versatility and some defensive upside, plus puck possession upside and some actual pedigree. He's the opposite of a "Top-6 or bust" type prospect.
PDG?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think he's probably the guy most likely to be sent down. And he very likely clears. He's a good footsoldier and Tocchet obviously likes and trusts him, but he's a journeyman depth forward who has cleared waivers a dozen times before, and aside from one very brief little period to start last season, has never really scored much at the NHL level. He's also older, and very clearly "at his ceiling"...which also serves to make him easier to slip through waivers.

But there's always the chance that Sprong just straight up stinks and gets waived instead. Or if Podkolzin really just doesn't look ready at all, he does end up traded for something. But i doubt it. They seem to really believe that Podkolzin is gonna come ready.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

If you want a forward for D swap Montreal will have to move one of barron, Harris, or maybe struble. I believe struble is still waiver exempt, but the other 2 are in a similar spot as podkolzin. Too good to clear waivers, but not guaranteed an NHL spot.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If you want a forward for D swap Montreal will have to move one of barron, Harris, or maybe struble. I believe struble is still waiver exempt, but the other 2 are in a similar spot as podkolzin. Too good to clear waivers, but not guaranteed an NHL spot.
Harris, Barron and Struble are all nhlers. I'm not sure the same can be said for Podkolzin. Harris is tge only one I'd consider moving for Podkolzin, and even then I'd be reluctant

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Harris, Barron and Struble are all nhlers. I'm not sure the same can be said for Podkolzin. Harris is tge only one I'd consider moving for Podkolzin, and even then I'd be reluctant
If you mean Harris, Barron, and Struble are all NHLers on a bottom 5 NHL team with no defensive depth but you're not sure if Podkolzin is a NHLer on a top 10 NHL team with one of the best winger depths, then you'd be semi correct. 1 and maybe even 2 of those 3 will be consistent healthy scratches for the Habs next year.

Now if you're talking average NHL team, Podkolzin is more likely to be a NHLer than those 3 just off of one fact alone; teams can shelter a winger and live with them playing 5 min a night, but they cant shelter a d-man in the same way. NHL talent wise all are in the same boat,

Reactions: wetcoast and McJedi

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Before Free Agency, i thought Barron might be a decent target for the Canucks to go after. But now, i think it's looking like they're keen to just roll with Hronek-Myers-Desharnais at RHD. And they've already got Juulsen as a serviceable spare RHD that fits the mold of what Tocchet/Foote seem to like (big and tall and physical). So a LHD would actually probably be a better fit (with Soucy being a brbit injury prone, and Forbort kind of sucking outside the PK)...but i'm not sure Harris fits what they like at all. So it'd probably have to be Struble, which also probably makes it less appealing on Montreal's end.

But i think the hope is really that Podkolzin just has his head screwed on right and that mental game and confidence is back on the rails, because they really could use his size, forechecking, and puck protection "complementary winger" sort of game, in a few different places in the lineup. Even with adding DeBrusk and managing to also retain Joshua...they do still lack a bit of that element overall.

Reactions: byrath

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I still have time for him. He's the kind of player that will take a big step forward, if he can put things together. Won't return much as is, so I'd just hang onto him and hope he figures it out.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

IMG_6505.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00