Various rookie tournament discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Successful rebuilds will have missed with top picks and then (the key) is that miss is covered by a later pick that’s a hit. Yes, Reinbacher looks like a miss at 5OA but that miss is covered by the hit at 62OA of Hutson. He looks like a player.
It’s also just 1 game so there’s that.

Based on a rookie scrimmage in September. :laugh:
Yeah. A rookie scrimmage in which a top 5 drafted player should be shining.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just reminds me of the Hawks taking Barker top five but that miss was covered by Keith at mid fifties. All rebuilds have high pick misses, even ones that end up with Cup winning cores.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
More or less meaningless scrimmages but you should see some individual skill shine through for individual players. They aren’t exactly high competition games.

(I didn’t watch Reinbacher so this isn’t me saying he did poorly)

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If the hat doesn't fit, don't wear it, but someone in here literally called him a miss and compared him to Cam Barker.
He definitely is trending towards a miss at #5. He hasn’t shown much to prove otherwise. That doesn’t mean he’s a bust. I’m not sure why people always conflate the two 🤷‍♂️

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
No real stand out last night between the Flames and Jets. Flames best player arguably was a 25 year old they got from the NCAA last year in Sam Morton.

Pretty much 0 structure out there so it's hard to get a good read on the players.

If we want to play the bust card, Honzek doesn't impress me at all. Wasn't a top 10 pick so I am not that disappointed, but still sucks to see a 1st rounder seemingly push to bust territory. Really hope he turns it around this year and shows something.

Reactions: Nevins

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No real stand out last night between the Flames and Jets. Flames best player arguably was a 25 year old they got from the NCAA last year in Sam Morton.

Pretty much 0 structure out there so it's hard to get a good read on the players.
Looking forward to the game tonight between Calgary and Edmonton

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He aint a bust, simply a very boring player that a team should not pick so high.
A team like the leafs would love to have a 25 years old Reinbacher in their lineup to help them win in the playoffs right now. No highlights flashes but stability and good break out passes and transition.

Reactions: Top cheese Gaz

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Just reminds me of the Hawks taking Barker top five but that miss was covered by Keith at mid fifties. All rebuilds have high pick misses, even ones that end up with Cup winning cores.
Brett Connolly and Jonathan drouin covered by Point and Kucherov. Doesn’t matter how you find great players all that matters is you find them .

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hutson looked good but then again he was facing worse competition then he faced in the NCAA
for sure, I mean right now its really just about seeing how advanced his skill and agility is against his competition... will be fun to see him grow in the NHL, and see if he really can adapt in all facets of the game

that quickness, hes really going to stand out this year. He wont be perfect, but I foresee some highlight reel plays ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad