Friedman: Vancouver looking at Mikyehev buyout.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Tore his acl. Almost a repeat of Roussel who was good prior to his acl tear vs NYR in year 1 of his contract.

Yea and there’s some hope that he could get back I guess after more rehab time, though it’d be tough to go into next year with him and then he doesn’t improve. But that’s kind of what I mean by these players slipping. No doubt anyone would be worse with an injury like that, but for a better player they might still be pretty good without his speed. With this level of player, he goes from useful to replacement level.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Decent regular season guy, but just not very effective in the playoffs. 3/4 playoff performances with zero points.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The only way he's traded is for cap space. A buyout saves almost 4 million extra in cap giving them 28ish million in cap. Lindholm, a ufa winger plus Tanev are hopefully the priority along with Hronek. I'd let Joshua walk as well as Zadorov, since both will want big money and likely more minutes or role.

A buyout would only save 3.2.

That proposal actually wouldn’t be a bad deal as the team would be spending on a backup goalie anyway. Silovs would be cheaper if they wanted to make him backup, but it might be better to have another year as starter in the AHL, and if that’s the case then a backup is probably going to cost at least 1.5-2, so you’re not really adding much cap by taking Forsberg. Unless you get a backup for under 1.2, this deal would actually save cap over a buyout (2.7-1.5) next year and not have three more years of buyout cap after the fact.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You mean the same Bunting that was in and out of the Leafs lineup down the stretch? The same one that Carolina got rid of early in his contract?

Ya'll have seen it already, Dubas gets his guys especially when they're useless bottom 6ers. I could see a deal where he goes to PIT in a swap of middling picks

The same Bunting that had 55 points last year? That guy is a bottom-6 player?

Of course you can see Dubas making a stupid decision because literally every one of your posts on this site seems to be saying how bad Dubas is.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
You mean the same Bunting that was in and out of the Leafs lineup down the stretch? The same one that Carolina got rid of early in his contract?

Ya'll have seen it already, Dubas gets his guys especially when they're useless bottom 6ers. I could see a deal where he goes to PIT in a swap of middling picks
Bunting played 82 games in the 2022-23 regular season. The only games he missed were the 3 he was suspended for in the playoffs and then one extra one because keefe is a moron lol.

Also a JIm Rutherford type deal.
sick avatar

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The same Bunting that had 55 points last year? That guy is a bottom-6 player?

Of course you can see Dubas making a stupid decision because literally every one of your posts on this site seems to be saying how bad Dubas is.
If he's such a great player why would Carolina move him so soon? Surely that contract is reasonable for a top 6 forward!

I find it quite funny that Pens fans run down JR every chance they get despite him winning 2 cups for ya'll. Yet Dubas has 5 years of futility and suddenly I'm the bad guy for shit talking him?

And Oilers fans would certainly disagree that all my posts are about Dubas.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If he's such a great player why would Carolina move him so soon? Surely that contract is reasonable for a top 6 forward!

I find it quite funny that Pens fans run down JR every chance they get despite him winning 2 cups for ya'll.
Yet Dubas has 5 years of futility and suddenly I'm the bad guy for shit talking him?

It's almost like players can end up not being good fits on one team, but end up playing to their abilities in a new environment that fits them better. Such a crazy concept.

It's funny you mention JR as if JR never made Bunting type of acquisitions of good players in bad fits. Remember Trevor Daley? Remember Justin Schultz? Remember Carl Hagelin? Hell, in the Hagelin deal, you can also point out how good Perron was after leaving the Penguins. JR constantly targeted good players in bad situations and it more often than not worked out well. There are so many examples of good players struggling in bad fits that it's genuinely mind boggling that you can say something as stupid as the first 2 sentences.

It's not even relevant to this thread, you just can't help yourself when you get the chance to take a pot shot at Dubas. It's genuinely weird. Did Dubas bang your wife or something?

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
How about something like this from the sens (although i assume we're on his NTC list)?

Anton Forsberg, G (1 year $2.75M)

for

Ilya Mikheyev (4.75M 2 years)
Nikita Tolopilo, G (950k, 1 year, then RFA)
I think Vancouver would absolutely do this.

If they bought Forsberg out it'd be about 900k for two years (much better than 4 years at a higher amount).

They could also hold on to Forsberg and keep him as insurance that Silovs is ready to be a backup. If Silovs is ready and Forsberg is waived, his caphit is 1.6 against the cap for one year, if no one picks him up (unlikely anyone would).

In contrast the Mikheyev buyout is 1.15, 2.15, 1.55, and 1.55.

I'd be fine giving up Tolopilo for that.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think Vancouver would absolutely do this.

If they bought Forsberg out it'd be about 900k for two years (much better than 4 years at a higher amount).

They could also hold on to Forsberg and keep him as insurance that Silovs is ready to be a backup. If Silovs is ready and Forsberg is waived, his caphit is 1.6 against the cap for one year, if no one picks him up (unlikely anyone would).

In contrast the Mikheyev buyout is 1.15, 2.15, 1.55, and 1.55.

I'd be fine giving up Tolopilo for that.
Yeah for the sens it totally makes sense too. We 'd be effectively pushing forsberg's overpayment back by one year by replacing it with Mikheyev's, and filling a top 9 gap at the same time. Plus picking up Tolopilo in the process.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017

I find it quite funny that Pens fans run down JR every chance they get despite him winning 2 cups for ya'll. Yet Dubas has 5 years of futility and suddenly I'm the bad guy for shit talking him?

could it have something to do with them having to give up assets to acquire Jake Guentzal? Maybe?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Any interest in Vancouver Giants' legend Brendan Gallagher? Same amount of points playing on a way worse team. Heart and soul guy and was actually healthy this year.

We could even retain salary if the trade happens in July.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Any interest in Vancouver Giants' legend Brendan Gallagher? Same amount of points playing on a way worse team. Heart and soul guy and was actually healthy this year.

We could even retain salary if the trade happens in July.
Not sure they’ll want the extra year

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not sure they’ll want the extra year

Vancouver's window might be closed by then, depending on how they handle Demko/Boeser/Garland/Hoglander/Lindholm/Soucy/Hronek/the rest of their D.

But yeah, it's more hopeful thinking on my part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad