Proposal: Vancouver - Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The Canucks' front office might consider this. Most fans of the team, who believe a rebuild of some kind is necessary, would not.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd really like to know what it is that has so many people so hopelessly, foolishly, wrongfully convinced that we'd be willing to move Gavrikov at all. "Look, here is a young blueline that's still developing and consists almost entirely of puckmovers and offensively-minded guys. I know who can be spared - the one and only primarily defensive guy in the whole group!" NO. Quit it. Whatever is making you think this is WRONG. Stop indulging it and give us a damn break already.

And no, trying to make the proposal value seemingly biased in our favor is not going to change that. All that does is create a proposal that everyone hates.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
What are Columbus' needs? If they want a top-flight center, the plus for Gavrikov would either be Roslovic (IMO) or a pretty high pick. Miller's a point per game scorer who can play center or wing, wins draws and is good on both #1 PP and PK units (he's the PP QB alongside Hughes, and you'd have another left shot one-timer threat opposite Laine). Getting a top-4 D and 3rd C for that doesn't seem too far fetched, or feel free to suggest an add from Vancouver to make this work.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
What are Columbus' needs? If they want a top-flight center, the plus for Gavrikov would either be Roslovic (IMO) or a pretty high pick. Miller's a point per game scorer who can play center or wing, wins draws and is good on both #1 PP and PK units (he's the PP QB alongside Hughes, and you'd have another left shot one-timer threat opposite Laine). Getting a top-4 D and 3rd C for that doesn't seem too far fetched, or feel free to suggest an add from Vancouver to make this work.
You mean a guy who is 28, a year away from FA and about to get paid? How about we keep Gav and Ros and keep getting better by adding another pretty high pick (which is going to be a lottery ticket) and keep developing the team we got. JT doesn't make us a Cup contender. It puts us into that make the playoffs maybe, and get bounced from the first round group. And if we really want him and he wants to be "back home" he can come via FA.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd really like to know what it is that has so many people so hopelessly, foolishly, wrongfully convinced that we'd be willing to move Gavrikov at all. "Look, here is a young blueline that's still developing and consists almost entirely of puckmovers and offensively-minded guys. I know who can be spared - the one and only primarily defensive guy in the whole group!" NO. Quit it. Whatever is making you think this is WRONG. Stop indulging it and give us a damn break already.

And no, trying to make the proposal value seemingly biased in our favor is not going to change that. All that does is create a proposal that everyone hates.
2-3 posts below this one another Columbus poster has shown you how you could have said basically the same thing without screaming at everyone.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Miller is from Ohio which is probably the driving motivator here, but if the Canucks are trading him I'd want Boqvist, Sillinger, or Johnson. None of those will be entertained by Columbus.

Columbus and Vancouver are probably bad trade partners because they're kind of in the same stage of development; not playoff teams, not bare bones strip it down to the ground rebuilding teams. They're both teams with good young players that need a combination of time and restructuring. Neither should be getting older, neither should be trading prospects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Miller is from Ohio which is probably the driving motivator here, but if the Canucks are trading him I'd want Boqvist, Sillinger, or Johnson. None of those will be entertained by Columbus.

Columbus and Vancouver are probably bad trade partners because they're kind of in the same stage of development; not playoff teams, not bare bones strip it down to the ground rebuilding teams. They're both teams with good young players that need a combination of time and restructuring. Neither should be getting older, neither should be trading prospects.

Eh, I'd at least consider trading Boqvist for Miller. But Boqvist doesn't seem like the type Vancouver needs for their D core. They need a Tanev replacement not a discount Quinn Hughes.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

In our case the restructuring might already potentially be bearing fruit (see: the really nice start to the season so far, which hopefully will continue, and which is probably why folks keep thinking we might be willing to buy), but otherwise, yeah, this is pretty accurate.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As for those who want to accuse me of having a short fuse... this is how my reply progression tends to go in these discussions.

Thread #1 OP: "<player> for <other asset>"
My reply: "It's fair in a vacuum, but we'd nonetheless decline; <player>'s a bit too important to our team because <situation>."

Thread #2 OP: "<player> for <other asset>"
My reply: "No thanks. <situation> applies so we kind of don't want to move <player>, and <other asset> does not change or improve that situation."

Thread #3 OP: "<player> for <other asset>"
My reply: "We really aren't going to move <player> because of <situation>. We'd need a replacement for <player> immediately, and <other asset> won't do that. This has been reiterated before. Please stop asking. Thanks."

Thread #4 OP: "<player> for <whatever, don't care anymore>"
My reply: "Ugh. Quit asking about <player> already. <situation> still applies and will continue to apply, as plenty of Jackets fans including myself have kept pointing out. Stop it. Please. For the love of G-d."
Random whoever: "OMG what is wrong with you yelling at people like that"
Me: <quietly contemplates the many cleansing qualities of fire>

Reactions: SoupNazi

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
As for those who want to accuse me of having a short fuse... this is how my reply progression tends to go in these discussions.

Thread #1 OP: "<player> for <other asset>"
My reply: "It's fair in a vacuum, but we'd nonetheless decline; <player>'s a bit too important to our team because <situation>."

Thread #2 OP: "<player> for <other asset>"
My reply: "No thanks. <situation> applies so we kind of don't want to move <player>, and <other asset> does not change or improve that situation."

Thread #3 OP: "<player> for <other asset>"
My reply: "We really aren't going to move <player> because of <situation>. We'd need a replacement for <player> immediately, and <other asset> won't do that. This has been reiterated before. Please stop asking. Thanks."

Thread #4 OP: "<player> for <whatever, don't care anymore>"
My reply: "Ugh. Quit asking about <player> already. <situation> still applies and will continue to apply, as plenty of Jackets fans including myself have kept pointing out. Stop it. Please. For the love of G-d."
Random whoever: "OMG what is wrong with you yelling at people like that"
Me: <quietly contemplates the many cleansing qualities of fire>

"You're going to take Girard for Pettersson and thank us for the opportunity"

"Ryder. Halak and a third"

"Dermott, Engvall and a third"

I get it.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think Gavrikov would be available for the right offer. He is UFA after next season and will want to be paid. I dont think the Jackets will blow him away with an offer that will keep him from testing free agency like his buddies Panarin and Bob. I am for trading him when he has max value and that might be now.

I don’t know that JT Miller is the right guy for the Jackets rebuild / retool. But I’d probably make that trade. And flip Miller at the deadline next season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jackets have 500 forwards, 87 of which can line up at center. Jackets have maybe 2 guys who can play shutdown d. And the 1 guy who for sure can play shut down d is also 2-8-10 in 17 games and +13.

I mean, of course I like JT Miller. He’d be a benefit to pretty much any lineup. But I’m not at all interested in giving up quality assets, potentially foundational assets, to acquire him.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He's not nearly enough of a return for Miller and we'd prefer a RHD I would think.
I’m curious which RHD types does Vancouver have on their radar? Some names? Getting a top 4 RHD seems like a hard spot to fill via trade.

that would help in construction of a trade.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I’m curious which RHD types does Vancouver have on their radar? Some names? Getting a top 4 RHD seems like a hard spot to fill via trade.

that would help in construction of a trade.

Schnieder
Lundquist
Dobson
Carrier
Fabbro
Barron
Seversson

We could also do with some more C's

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Schnieder
Lundquist
Dobson
Carrier
Fabbro
Barron
Seversson

We could also do with some more C's
Nashville seems like a decent trade partner for this. What’s a Carrier or Fabbro proposal look like to you?

Same question. what about Schneider?

I really doubt NYI trade Dobson for Miller. That’s bad value for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad