Proposal: VAN - TOR

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
This might be out of the frying pan into the fire for Pettersson. Not the crowd at the games. That's just rich guys who don't like hockey much. The media though...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pettersson has had a rough few months and the model itself has shown it is not that good for Toronto.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ewww no.

Pettersson is frustrating, but Marner is awful. He's got the regular season consistency that Petey lacks, but also consistently doesn't show up when it matters, and that's something deeply ingrained in the guy. That's not going to change. At least with Pettersson, there's a chance that one of this confident dominant hot streaks will line up with the playoffs at some point. Plus obviously the far more premium position, and just being a mopey sulky brat, rather than a little Mitch.

Reactions: Nuckles and Coffee

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
I don’t think they are on the same level to be honest, and major reason for that is the position they play.
Even during Petterssons worst hockey of his his career he’s still a responsible player in his own zone

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Wouldn't take Pettersson for free with his play and that contract so keeping Marner as an own rental is a very easy choice. Pettersson is a headcase and the Toronto market would only exacerbate that. Would rather hope someone like Bennett or Rantanen hits free agency or the big guy next year and taking Pettersson would make those potential options impossible.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don’t think they are on the same level to be honest, and major reason for that is the position they play.
Even during Petterssons worst hockey of his his career he’s still a responsible player in his own zone
Marner is a great defensive player, he was nominated for the Selke two years ago. Not gonna knock anyone for choosing Pettersson but two way ability is not even arguably the deciding factor

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Marner is a great defensive player, he was nominated for the Selke two years ago. Not gonna knock anyone for choosing Pettersson but two way ability is not even arguably the deciding factor
I agree Marner is a great defensive player but I already stated my deciding factor for Pettersson.

Major reason for that is the position they play

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No matter how much Vancouver fans hate Petty right now they simply don’t have the depth at C to move on from him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As someone that thinks they're pretty much the same player, I'd much rather have the one who's contract expires in 9 months allowing for that $12m in cap space to be better utilized

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad