Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Canucks acquire F Sam Lafferty for 2024 5th Round Pick

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i went back to look at his trade history

i swear he did have some bad ones, which he did but my god, its like night and day compared to benning
Just look at his FA signings, he signed a bunch of guys at super low cap hits that exceeded expectations.
Santo, Richardson, Weber and etc

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
To be fair to Jim Benning, the scouting (amateur & pro) has always been mixed at best throughout the entire existance of the franchise prior to his arrival.
Gillis was all in on making a good team a great team. I honestly don’t think he cared about the draft and it showed. He made several trades/signings that turned a team that already had the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa etc into a team that was a Stanley cup favourite and should have had a multi year run. What happen after that is the stuff of legends.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I can’t believe we got this guy for a 5th. Guy has wheels.

Just a really smart trade by Allvin , I am now also really starting to love and open up to the Hronek trade as well now . You gotta give up something to get something .

But the Lafferty trade has gotta be one of Allvin’s best trades . And having the two 4th round picks really alleviates the loss of the 5th

Reactions: MarkMM

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
A Leafs fan on the trade board trying to claim that Kampf is better than Lafferty because he scored 22 pts last season

Bitch Kampf makes 2.4m for 4 years

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I can’t believe we got this guy for a 5th. Guy has wheels.
It’s a fair trade and I think he has been a good addition. Oddly, some of Lafferty’s underlying stats are worse on the team type bad currently and he continues to struggle with faceoffs.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I have no idea what the leafs were thinking

The way he skates, and the size alone makes him worth more than what they gave up

Weird weird trade

They needed cap space to ice a team and Gregor had a good camp. The problem was putting themselves in that position by signing a bunch of junk.

I tuned in to yesterday’s Leafs vs Sabres games and it was right after Buffalo scored their third goal. Talk was how bad their 4th line has been. Bleeding goals and nearly unplayable. Couldn’t help but have a hearty chuckle.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Benning acquired Cracknell for free at league minimum.

Also acquired PDG, at league minimum.

Hopefully Ruthervin can do as well as Benning next time*.

For the future's sake.

* oh wait, they already did with Friedman. I guess the bar Benning left buried in the ground was not that high of a hurdle
Remember when an entire cohort of fans on here defended and supported previous management, only for 90% of them to disappear post-firing? I’m grateful we’ve moved past those years of bad faith posters, hopefully they moved and stay in their Corner of Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks pro scouting staff are on a 'win-streak'. Yep, as hard as it is to believe, it seems every guy they bring in here immediately makes a contribution.

Even Pius Suter, who got off to a bit of tough start, is back on track with goals in back-to-back games--and is diligent defensively.

Everybody talks about 'coaching' , 'team culture' or the evolution of Hughes and Pettersson into superstars--but the reality is, it starts in the front office.

Tocchet is the top early candidate for the Jack Adams; and Allvin for the GM of the year.

Reactions: TruKnyte and arttk

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Canucks pro scouting staff are on a 'win-streak'. Yep, as hard as it is to believe, it seems every guy they bring in here immediately makes a contribution.

Even Pius Suter, who got off to a bit of tough start, is back on track with goals in back-to-back games--and is diligent defensively.

Did he tho?

He was a big part of our improved PK.
Everybody talks about 'coaching' , 'team culture' or the evolution of Hughes and Pettersson into superstars--but the reality is, it starts in the front office.

Tocchet is the top early candidate for the Jack Adams; and Allvin for the GM of the year.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I usually whine every time we trade a pick. But this pick appears to be great. In fact pretty much every trade post banning has been ok.

I don't mind trading picks, I hate trading picks badly.

Lafferty appears to be a very worthwhile 3 - 4 liner. And those are really valuable, particularly at $1.15M, which is pretty much a minimum payment for a legit NHLer.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
They needed cap space to ice a team and Gregor had a good camp. The problem was putting themselves in that position by signing a bunch of junk.

I tuned in to yesterday’s Leafs vs Sabres games and it was right after Buffalo scored their third goal. Talk was how bad their 4th line has been. Bleeding goals and nearly unplayable. Couldn’t help but have a hearty chuckle.

I still can’t believe in 2023 and some GMs haven’t figured out that
1) Having Ryan Reaves types on the ice to bleed goals and maybe punch a face every once in a while isn’t a good idea. There is a reason teams don’t have enforcers anymore.
2) They don’t prevent their players from getting injured.
3) That Ryan Reaves is not a good hockey player. He’s been a minus player on every team he has been on. I know +/- is a flawed stat, but he has literally only played for contenders/yearly playoff teams. St Louis and Vegas would even go on to win cups shortly after he left.

On Lafferty, this is looking like a great trade. You just have to Laff at the Laffs for losing Lafferty.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I still can’t believe in 2023 and some GMs haven’t figured out that
1) Having Ryan Reaves types on the ice to bleed goals and maybe punch a face every once in a while isn’t a good idea. There is a reason teams don’t have enforcers anymore.
2) They don’t prevent their players from getting injured.
3) That Ryan Reaves is not a good hockey player. He’s been a minus player on every team he has been on. I know +/- is a flawed stat, but he has literally only played for contenders/yearly playoff teams. St Louis and Vegas would even go on to win cups shortly after he left.

On Lafferty, this is looking like a great trade. You just have to Laff at the Laffs for losing Lafferty.

Its really strange because Lafferty is the new-age version of Ryan Reaves - he's got puck skills, plays a straight-line, heavy game, and isn't afraid of the rough stuff. He might not be quite as big as Reaves, but he does the whole "play hockey" thing infinitely better.

Plus, as we saw from the whole Marchand debacle, it doesn't really matter if you have one guy who does this stuff - you need the kind of team toughness identity that Tocchet has instilled into this team rather than relying on 1-2 dedicated guys to get it done.

Reaves was saying how Marchand was lucky he didn't get on the ice at the same time as him after - if anything the Leaf's are counting their lucky stars that that didn't happen as they would've lost in regulation instead of a shootout.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
1699214150204.png

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Its really strange because Lafferty is the new-age version of Ryan Reaves - he's got puck skills, plays a straight-line, heavy game, and isn't afraid of the rough stuff. He might not be quite as big as Reaves, but he does the whole "play hockey" thing infinitely better.

Plus, as we saw from the whole Marchand debacle, it doesn't really matter if you have one guy who does this stuff - you need the kind of team toughness identity that Tocchet has instilled into this team rather than relying on 1-2 dedicated guys to get it done.

Reaves was saying how Marchand was lucky he didn't get on the ice at the same time as him after - if anything the Leaf's are counting their lucky stars that that didn't happen as they would've lost in regulation instead of a shootout.

Because Reaves has played for contenders his whole career and fits the “need these type of guys to win in the playoffs” archetype, GMs get fooled into thinking he was an important part of those teams winning. When in reality he dragged these teams down. He was younger then as well, and somehow got a 3 year contract at 36.

And yes having 1-2 players to keep teams in check doesn’t work. I remember these talks about that when we brought in Gudbranson and Prust.

Lafferty, and a lot of our bottom of the roster acquisitions have been great this year. I feel like they are the types of players Tampa would acquire at the deadline. It’s nice to have management that can find these types of players and for the right price.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

It must be repeated that Lucic in his prime was on the ice when Cooke took out Savard with a cheap shot

Reactions: vanuck

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Because Reaves has played for contenders his whole career and fits the “need these type of guys to win in the playoffs” archetype, GMs get fooled into thinking he was an important part of those teams winning. When in reality he dragged these teams down. He was younger then as well, and somehow got a 3 year contract at 36.

And yes having 1-2 players to keep teams in check doesn’t work. I remember these talks about that when we brought in Gudbranson and Prust.

Lafferty, and a lot of our bottom of the roster acquisitions have been great this year. I feel like they are the types of players Tampa would acquire at the deadline. It’s nice to have management that can find these types of players and for the right price.

Yeah, he who must not be named acquired a ton of these guys who "know how to win" for 5x the price we were paying equally talented players. Most of these bottom of the rosters just end up taking up absorpant amounts of cap space on the 4th line rather than showing anything helpful, as we've seen firsthand in Vancouver.

Cole to me is the kind of veteran who actually helps on this front, as he's played a decent-sized role on contending teams that have both won & gone deep. The fact that he and Beagle had the same AAV during their time as Canucks is absolutely wild to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad