Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Teddy Blueger signs extension with the Canucks (2 years, $1.8M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s a really good deal…yes he’s probably best defined as a terrific defensive 4th line center but let’s be honest - his usage last year was more in line with a 3rd liner at ES with #1 PK duties.

I’d say that makes him more of a “bottom six center” than a pure 4th liner and that makes this deal very excellent value.

It’s actually kinda astonishing he took a pay cut after his season…maybe that bodes well for Vancouver luring much of the band back together at under market value.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Took a paycut. Good man!

Very reliable and smart player.

There was a good stretch of run last season where Joshua-Bleuger-Garland was the best 3rd line in hockey.

I suspect that the Canucks will look to upgrade at 3C again during the season so they can have Bleuger as their 4C instead of their 3C but its perfectly fine to start the season with Bleuger as 3C.
I could see them moving on from Suter 1.6 million and targeting Chandler Stevenson. Having Blueger is a great insurance policy if they aren't able to upgrade.
They identified last year they they wanted a stronger 3c so I think they stick to that

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This is a fantastic deal. Better than I could have hoped for. I assumed there was a good chance he would be offered like 2.5x3 or something and so we would have to offer at least 2.3.

1.8 with no risk on term is just tidy tidy work. Love what we're building here.

Blueger is a fantastic bottom 6 center. Wins tons (and I mean tons) of battles. Is a serious puck hound. Really good defensive IQ. And for those who say 'zero offense' that's not even true. He's not a creator, but put him with smart offensive players (like Garland and Joshua) and he will provide smart touches to give them the puck in space, so he's an underrated facilitator. Has a pretty good and paralyzing backhand move where he opens the goalie up and slides it five hole on breakaways.

I could see them moving on from Suter 1.6 million and targeting Chandler Stevenson. Having Blueger is a great insurance policy if they aren't able to upgrade.
They identified last year they they wanted a stronger 3c so I think they stick to that
I really don't see us trading Suter. He's a swiss army knife whom you can play anywhere and he makes 1.6. If we dealt him, we would just be looking for a worse and more expensive version of him.

If he's essential to a deal to land a bigger fish like Nikolaj Ehlers (hypothetically) then I could see it, but we're not going to be looking to get rid of him by any stretch.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
This is a fantastic deal. Better than I could have hoped for. I assumed there was a good chance he would be offered like 2.5x3 or something and so we would have to offer at least 2.3.

Blueger is a fantastic bottom 6 center. Wins tons (and I mean tons) of battles. Is a serious puck hound. Really good defensive IQ. And for those who say 'zero offense' that's not even true. He's not a creator, but put him with smart offensive players (like Garland and Joshua) and he will provide smart touches to give them the puck in space, so he's an underrated facilitator. Has a pretty good and paralyzing backhand move where he opens the goalie up and slides it five hole on breakaways.

I really don't see us trading Suter. He's a swiss army knife whom you can play anywhere and he makes 1.6. If we dealt him, we would just be looking for a worse and more expensive version of him.

If he's essential to a deal to land a bigger fish like Nikolaj Ehlers (hypothetically) then I could see it, but we're not going to be looking to get rid of him by any stretch.
He fits the Tochett system to a tee.
The thing I loved most about the Canucks last year was their ability to shut shit down. I can't recall a version of the Canucks who were just as capable of winning 8-1 or 2-1 and when needed if having an off game or missing Demko they would simply fall back on the structure instilled in them.
The playoffs were a great example, without Demko they played low event almost mistake free hockey, Teddy was a big part of that.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Great deal. Has a great season and takes a paycut, while also signing for 2 years? Awesome. This signing also gives Canucks flexibility to maybe move Suter if they're looking at signing a Stephenson or Wennberg in UFA. Suter was good in his role and cheap though so may not be much point trading him.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Benning used to get destroyed signing guys like this

He would compete against himself to make the ask even higher

good to see Vancouver not give out term
Alvin and JR are like gunslingers in trades which I love, have no problem paying their stars while paying players like Teddy fair but not egregiously.

In Bennings defense, much different time, nobody really wanted to be here at market value which he should have then passed on but foundational his favourite word got him every time.

Great deal. Has a great season and takes a paycut, while also signing for 2 years? Awesome. This signing also gives Canucks flexibility to maybe move Suter if they're looking at signing a Stephenson or Wennberg in UFA. Suter was good in his role and cheap though so may not be much point trading him.
I literally posted the same thing. Great minds think alike lol

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That guy has consistent L takes, it's kinda funny.

Bleuger is a solid 3C, a luxury as a 4C. Great contract and I honestly thought he was gonna get $2.5 million/2-3 years with another team.

I feel like Bluegers is actually more like a "solid 4C" and "serviceable as a 3C if you have the right wingers". He's like Maxim Lapierre but without the trollface or physicality.

But yeah...i'd figured some team would give him like $2.2M just for his defensive play, versatility, and especially PK ability.

But very pleasantly surprised he rings in at $1.8M. Every little bit matters when you're as tight to the cap as Canucks are.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

I wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him but let's say with our 21 million we land Jake at 9 and Zadorov at 5, that leaves us with 7 million. Let's say Tanev really does wanna come back, maybe we can get him at 3 by adding a year leaving us with 4 million maybe that's enough for a guy like Toffolli or Chandler Stephenson but if it wasn't then I would look to move him because both are clear upgrades.
Or if Tanev wanted 4 then we would need more cap. This was what I was able to get to by moving him and using expected contracts.

Guentzel - EP - Toffoli
Lekkerimakki - JT - Boeser
Hoglander - Blueger - Garland
Podz - Linus- Raty
Aman

Hughes- Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Zadorov - Juulson

Demko - Silovs.

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
I wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him but let's say with our 21 million we land Jake at 9 and Zadorov at 5, that leaves us with 7 million. Let's say Tanev really does wanna come back, maybe we can get him at 3 by adding a year leaving us with 4 million maybe that's enough for a guy like Toffolli or Chandler Stephenson but if it wasn't then I would look to move him because both are clear upgrades.
Or if Tanev wanted 4 then we would need more cap. This was what I was able to get to by moving him and using expected contracts.

Guentzel - EP - Toffoli
Lekkerimakki - JT - Boeser
Hoglander - Blueger - Garland
Podz - Linus- Raty
Aman

Hughes- Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Zadorov - Juulson

Demko - Silovs.
Much rather have Joshua than Toffoli

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Much rather have Joshua than Toffoli
Absolutely. No to Tanev and Zadorov for me too. Way rather have something like this:

Trade Hoglander for Marino

Guentzal (9.5 x 7) - EP - Joshua (3.5 x 4)
Suter - JT - Boeser
Amadio (2.75 x 3) - Blueger - Garland
Podz - Aman - PDG

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Marino
Dillon (2.5 x 3) - Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can't see or hear his name without thinking of Young Frankenstein.

f3a11a44c78b10cc7b2a2d4418fa39fa95456021.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad