Proposal: VAN-MTL moving money

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
To Vancouver:
Carey Price's LTIR Contract (2 more years @ 10.5)
Jesse Ylonen RFA rights
2025 7th

To Montreal:
Ilya Mikheyev (2x4.75)
Tucker Poolman LTIR Contract (1 more year @ 2.5)
2025 2nd

Rationale:
Vancouver seems to still be trying to find a way to keep Zadorov and/or Joshua and also trying to improve the roster, Mikheyev is easily the worst deal they have and Price is LTIRetired so won't affect the payroll in season, they're a team I'd think will spend right to the cap and can't really afford to waste money on Mikheyev. Ylonen couldn't stick this year but has shown upside at times, Vancouver can add him to their stable of youngish, smallish, skilled but unspectacular Scandinavian forwards.

For Montreal, I don't expect them to spend right to the cap this year, and moving Price's money allows them to make other additions and come in under the cap so they can accrue space. Picks are also nice and while paid twice what he's worth there's worse things to have on the fourth line than a speedy winger like Mikheyev.

Trade would be made basically the second after Montreal pays the $5.5 million bonus on July 1

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I’d consider it from a Canucks pov.

We have no need for Ylonen though. Take him out and change the 7th to a 6th?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
As a Habs fan I will say that they are still rebuilding and can see them taking on a contract for a draft pick like they did with Monahan.

That being said management has said that they want to start to get competitive sooner rather than later. I suspect another Dach or Newhook like trade this summer from them.

I don’t mind them picking up a dead cap contract but only for someone who is on a one year term. If they picked up Mikheyev then they would have two more years of Price and Mikheyev and three more years of Gallagher and Anderson.

For just acquiring a 2nd round pick that doesn’t sound too enticing to tell you the truth.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Bad for Montreal. Price isn't hurting them at all, hes on perma LTIR. Mikheyev is a significant year cap dump. Easy pass

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Bad for Montreal. Price isn't hurting them at all, hes on perma LTIR. Mikheyev is a significant year cap dump. Easy pass
As we saw with moving the Weber deal for Dadonov, they do clearly value the in season cap flexibility and not having to rely on LTIR. There's definitely been a lot more noise this offseason around moving his deal than previous years

Mikheyev and a 2nd for Ylonen's RFA rights alone seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't think Price or Poolman need to be included here.
Eliminates half the reason for Montreal to do the trade

Reactions: malcb33

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As a Habs fan I will say that they are still rebuilding and can see them taking on a contract for a draft pick like they did with Monahan.

That being said management has said that they want to start to get competitive sooner rather than later. I suspect another Dach or Newhook like trade this summer from them.

I don’t mind them picking up a dead cap contract but only for someone who is on a one year term. If they picked up Mikheyev then they would have two more years of Price and Mikheyev and three more years of Gallagher and Anderson.

For just acquiring a 2nd round pick that doesn’t sound too enticing to tell you the truth.
Believe you are missing a significant piece of the trade

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
the Canucks don't want to be in LTIR becuase they can't accrue cap space over the season, so it'll never happen

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
the Canucks don't want to be in LTIR becuase they can't accrue cap space over the season, so it'll never happen
They are almost undoubtedly going to be in LTIR this season whether they make this trade or not. They have so much roster filling left to do

Reactions: viceroy

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
They are almost undoubtedly going to be in LTIR this season whether they make this trade or not. They have so much roster filling left to do
They do not want to be in LTIR, and adding Price's 10.5M in exchange for Poolman's 2.5M is going to make it impossible for them to not be in LTIR. It's a non-starter. This isn't happening.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
They do not want to be in LTIR, and adding Price's 10.5M in exchange for Poolman's 2.5M is going to make it impossible for them to not be in LTIR. It's a non-starter. This isn't happening.
They can not want to all they want, they are going to be in LTIR just as they were this season and that was before a near 5 million raise for Pettersson and the buyout for OEL increasing

Reactions: viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To Vancouver:
Carey Price's LTIR Contract (2 more years @ 10.5)
Jesse Ylonen RFA rights
2025 7th

To Montreal:
Ilya Mikheyev (2x4.75)
Tucker Poolman LTIR Contract (1 more year @ 2.5)
2025 2nd

Rationale:
Vancouver seems to still be trying to find a way to keep Zadorov and/or Joshua and also trying to improve the roster, Mikheyev is easily the worst deal they have and Price is LTIRetired so won't affect the payroll in season, they're a team I'd think will spend right to the cap and can't really afford to waste money on Mikheyev. Ylonen couldn't stick this year but has shown upside at times, Vancouver can add him to their stable of youngish, smallish, skilled but unspectacular Scandinavian forwards.

For Montreal, I don't expect them to spend right to the cap this year, and moving Price's money allows them to make other additions and come in under the cap so they can accrue space. Picks are also nice and while paid twice what he's worth there's worse things to have on the fourth line than a speedy winger like Mikheyev.

Trade would be made basically the second after Montreal pays the $5.5 million bonus on July 1
Price contract will kill Canucks this off season. But if you willing to do Habs probably would

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
As we saw with moving the Weber deal for Dadonov, they do clearly value the in season cap flexibility and not having to rely on LTIR.

I thought that was because Weber + Price on LTIR triggered the max allowed something-or-other rule? I remember there was a reason we had to unload a contract.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I thought that was because Weber + Price on LTIR triggered the max allowed something-or-other rule? I remember there was a reason we had to unload a contract.
Yeah I'm not sure, I just looked and actually can't find a hard number cut off listed. For some reason $18 million sticks out to me, and I think Habs had Byron's $3.4 as well so if that's the upper limit they would have been over it. Nonetheless, even this season not having to put Price on LTIR in the offseason was of importance and sounds like it will be again

Price contract will kill Canucks this off season. But if you willing to do Habs probably would
Disagree, they can go 10% above the cap in the offseason (the only reason I included Poolman as well). This clears up $4.75 of actual cap in season and only adds about $3 million during the summer. I think making serious improvements without moving Mikheyev is near impossible

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah I'm not sure, I just looked and actually can't find a hard number cut off listed. For some reason $18 million sticks out to me, and I think Habs had Byron's $3.4 as well so if that's the upper limit they would have been over it. Nonetheless, even this season not having to put Price on LTIR in the offseason was of importance and sounds like it will be again

Disagree, they can go 10% above the cap in the offseason (the only reason I included Poolman as well). This clears up $4.75 of actual cap in season and only adds about $3 million during the summer. I think making serious improvements without moving Mikheyev is near impossible
You have to be cap compliance end of camp though. Before Price goes on LTIR.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

A 2nd really isn't enough incentive for Montreal to do this. Price is t a problem for Montreal, Mikheyev is a 2 year cap dump that would take away a roster spit from someone who may actually help the tram.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Mikheyev is overpaid but the term cap dump is as annoying as goalies are voodoo.
It's hard to tell how much of last season was related to his recovery from his ACL, bad luck or just a sudden regression, maybe all three.
He still put up 30 points and is excellent on the pk and defense.

The nucks need to clear his cap that's no secret but there is incentive for a team like the habs because he could very well get back to a 20/20+ guy and have some value at one of the next two deadlines or at the very least be a depth veteran piece that can provide the young guys some stability.
I get it tho he's not gonna move the needle for a bad team still rebuilding but a 2nd can still turn into the next Hutson or Aho

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Mikheyev is overpaid but the term cap dump is as annoying as goalies are voodoo.
It's hard to tell how much of last season was related to his recovery from his ACL, bad luck or just a sudden regression, maybe all three.
He still put up 30 points and is excellent on the pk and defense.

The nucks need to clear his cap that's no secret but there is incentive for a team like the habs because he could very well get back to a 20/20+ guy and have some value at one of the next two deadlines or at the very least be a depth veteran piece that can provide the young guys some stability.
I get it tho he's not gonna move the needle for a bad team still rebuilding but a 2nd can still turn into the next Hutson or Aho
It cost Calgary a 1st to get rid of 1 year of Monahan. Mikheyev is a pure 2 year cap dump and Ylonen is a decent bottom 6 player.theres just not enough value for Montreal. This favours Vancouver by a wise margin. I just dont see why Montreal would do it when they're already flush with prospects and pucks. They're looking to start improving. The cap space they have can be better utilized

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It cost Calgary ax1stvtobgetbrid of 1 year of Monahan. Mikheyev is a pure 2 year cap dump and Ylonen is a decent bottom 6 player.theres just not enough value for Montreal. This favours Vancouver by a wise margin. I just dont see why Montreal would do it when they're already flush with prospects and pucks. They're looking to start improving. The cap space they have can be better utilized
Ylonen is waiver fodder, he does not have value. The Monahan situation was pretty unique, and the cap has risen significantly and is expected to continue to do so. Short term cap dumps are not going to cost as much to be rid of as they were with flat cap. Montreal is flush with prospects and picks but they're not anywhere near flush with high end talent, so package additional picks with the Winnipeg 1st to move up in the draft

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You have to be cap compliance end of camp though. Before Price goes on LTIR.
To accrue cap yes, but no you don't have to be cap compliant prior to making LTIR moves. I don't think Vancouver has the potential to accrue cap this season looking at their payroll, so they would place Price on offseason LTIR

On the Habs end, everyone is correct the Price contract isn't an issue, but they'll only have $9.4 to spend before they have to go into LTIR unless they move Price. I don't think that's quite enough space to make the additions I'd like to see from them + also accrue cap which they've shown has value to them

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Ylonen is waiver fodder, he does not have value. The Monahan situation was pretty unique, and the cap has risen significantly and is expected to continue to do so. Short term cap dumps are not going to cost as much to be rid of as they were with flat cap. Montreal is flush with prospects and picks but they're not anywhere near flush with high end talent, so package additional picks with the Winnipeg 1st to move up in the draft
Or..... don't take on Mikheyev's cap dump for 2 years and use that cap space on a better player instead of an unknown magic bean.

Plus 2 years is not a short term cap dump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad