Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Filip Hronek signs extension with the Canucks (8 years, $7.25M AAV)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is a very fair deal. Pretty much on market, with Hanifin setting the terms a couple months ago.

I'd probably lean moreso as a slight win for VAN and Allvin, as it is a bit less than I expected. Hronek could have got more by waiting out the season and then going to UFA next summer. Good work. They retained a legit top-four RD and one that has some chemistry with Quinn.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Fair deal given his overall profile last season. You can make it seem like a bargain and also seem like a risky over-commitment depending on what group of games you isolate. I tend to think that it was a bit concerning that his relative play dropped off as the year wore on and usage dipping into the playoffs where he doesn’t have the most robust physical game. But…for the larger chunk of the season, he was excellent with Quinn. Whether that was mostly due to Quinn is not really an issue seeing as Hughes will be on the team as long as Hronek’s contract runs and if you can keep them paired through their primes…I don’t think you mess with it.

I do think there was absolutely a chance the Nucks looked at keeping Z and liquidating Hronek but the higher the apparent cost got for Z, the less appetizing that became. The juice was only worth the squeeze there if you saved several million in cap moving forward and there’s a chance Z will end up with a deal under $1 million less AAV than Hronek’s.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Not really. It's pretty much perfectly aligned with the market and all the reasonable contract projecting entities.
Oh okk. Permanent partner for Hughes too. So everyone is happy then. I thought he was average but general consensus in van seems like they love it so can't really hate.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
This is like when you buy cheese at a shoppers drug mart. Like ideally you would just go somewhere else and get it, but is it unreasonably priced in comparison? Not so much.

Sure I'd like it to be lower, but I'd rather have him than not, and if it means he can settle into first half form not thinking about a new contract? It's far from bad

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Oh okk. Permanent partner for Hughes too. So everyone is happy then. I thought he was average but general consensus in van seems like they love it so can't really hate.
Montour is probably going to get this much or more and is vastly inferior.

Again, it's not really a "good or bad" deal. It's pretty fair. Pretty much on the market value exactly.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Seems like a lot of bonuses, will make it a little tougher to buyout later on, if it comes to that.

I hope he plays more like the first half of 23-24 than the 2nd half/playoff. First half Hronek was well worth the contract, 2nd half...not so much. Let's hope he was only held back by injuries.

Still think it's within the range of a fair deal, although obviously prefer a slightly lower number.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
From what Allvin has said multiple times, he doesn't want Hronek playing with Hughes. They want him carrying his own pairing. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

I can't imagine management wants 15 million tied up in one pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad