PTO: [VAN] F Sammy Blais signs PTO (and AHL deal) with the Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What does him signing an AHL deal mean in the context of him potentially in the NHL this year?
I believe all AHL deals have NHL out clauses by default. An AHL club can't prevent one of its contracted players from signing with an NHL team, though I'm sure any player agent would advise their client to give their AHL club's parent team last right of refusal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blais is a preseason superstar so he will probably make the team. It felt like he always scored a lot in preseason and then went cold when the real games began.

You just wish he could gain any form of consistency or steadiness. Sometimes he looks effective and other times he can be downright useless. I think his confidence fluctuates a lot, and he also has trouble staying healthy because of how much he hits.

Tocchet is a coach who might be able to get something out of him though.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I’ll always remember his slapper on a breakaway in the 2nd round of the Cup run:

“I scored a playoff goal on Ben Bishop…”

“Okay sure old man, let’s get you back to your room”

He ain’t making the Nucks. But I like competition at camp!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I’ll always remember his slapper on a breakaway in the 2nd round of the Cup run:

Me, a Ranger fan, digging in memory bank for something positive with him:

Bu-pRqU_tWZV7O3rJ5nV1P6NjqFnnAs8kVLC5VGz_Kf7ws0nDUXoGTc7pP87tyUCfu8VyXi0YviIm7CxAISDr2lJSwWwXQxxz98qxVfMcKTJfLPqbcfhn-QEeOowjrlwX1LYDFJN

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Rick Tocchet is getting the type of players he likes

Sherwood, Blais, Bluegar, Jt. Miller, Joshua , that's like five guys who will play exactly how Tocchet wants... if Demko returns healthy and Pettersson bounces back, Vancouver could be a lock for the playoffs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ehhh...not expecting much, but a PTO and minor league deal is just fine for a guy who is at least a fringe NHLer still.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he hits hard. if he can rediscover his game and his skating isnt like it used to be. if he makes a impression in camp could be a good underatted signing. sherwood/whoever is centering the 4th line+blais can do some damage. he was instrumental in the cup final with the blues in 2019.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
nice move from the canucks perspective, he is a tocchet style guy, it would not surprise me if he finds a roster spot in Van. I could see him in the top 9 being a workhouse for a line...call me crazy but I would like to see how he looks on the wing with either Petey or JT

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I came here to post this. Just after Bishop had been shaken by a Parayko shot (and Steen had put in the rebound while Bishop was down) Blais scores on a slap shot that made Bishop flinch.

Blais has more puck skill than people realize. Not sure his body can hold up much longer, but he’s a guy who can play however the team needs him too and not shy about contact. I hope he sticks with the Canucks. Could be a cheap vet depth player on a decent team, but you’d probably rather give those spots to young developing players on a team like the Blues now.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
“I scored a playoff goal on Ben Bishop…”

“Okay sure old man, let’s get you back to your room”

He ain’t making the Nucks. But I like competition at camp!
He also created the turnover off the forecheck that led to O’Reilly’s tip in first goal in Game 7 of the SCF. But t may have been the “third” assist, but it made that play possible.

The point is, he’s a veteran player who has valuable playoff experience and won’t be damaged developmentally with intermittent ice time. Good depth guy if he can still skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad