PTO: [VAN] F Sammy Blais signs PTO (and AHL deal) with the Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Canucks are sitting at 47/50 contracts and need room for Willander/TDL acquisitions later on. Good player but I don’t think he signs an NHL deal with us barring an exceptional camp. Good chance to showcase his stuff for another team though, he is a mean SOB!

Feb 19, 2018
Canucks are sitting at 47/50 contracts and need room for Willander/TDL acquisitions later on. Good player but I don’t think he signs an NHL deal with us barring an exceptional camp. Good chance to showcase his stuff for another team though, he is a mean SOB!
Him and Sherwood on the 4th line would be menacing in a playoff series. I think he has more intangibles than PDG because of his heavy game. No risk with some reward here.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Probably doesn't amount to much, but competition in camp is never a bad thing. He will bring some nasty compete to his tryout.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Contracts really only matter to fans. I can recall one time in the last 20 years that it became an issue.

When Bryzgalov was waived I think the Oilers had 50 contracts and couldn't grab him. Other than that it's been a non-factor.

TDL you just trade one of your D level prospects to even shit out.

Reactions: Insidefi and Taytro

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
What does him signing an AHL deal mean in the context of him potentially in the NHL this year?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Great spot for him. I could see him outproducing his contract in a similar role to Joshua. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up as a complimentary piece in the top 6.

I thought for sure he'd follow Berube to Toronto

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Low risk signing for the Canucks. if I recall he was a solid skater for a 4th line player; and that knee injury really derailed him for a couple seasons. He is still a big boy that is an NHL calibre skater and can rub people against the boards and punish them; but it's hard to say he'll ever be the mobile kind of 4th line energy guy he was.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Big Play Sammy Blais! I have no idea what happened to him last season as he looked really good when he first came back from NYR the year before. Hopefully he can rebound and carve out a niche as a bottom 6 guy, he is big and will throw his body around, usually led the team in hits. Also has a sneaky shot, there is potential there to score some goals but last year he just looked lost all season. Either way a low risk move for Van, hopefully it works out for him.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Him and Sherwood on the 4th line would be menacing in a playoff series. I think he has more intangibles than PDG because of his heavy game. No risk with some reward here.
Sami Blais and Sherwood would make life miserable for Bouchard. Both have speed and hit hard. Canucks will have 2 big, gritty and fast lines for a bottom 6

Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Blais-Suter-Sherwood

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
What does him signing an AHL deal mean in the context of him potentially in the NHL this year?
Basically just insurance for him as if he doesn't make the team he is already guaranteed a deal with the AHL squad instead of basically becoming a UFA again and starting from scratch.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Basically just insurance for him as if he doesn't make the team he is already guaranteed a deal with the AHL squad instead of basically becoming a UFA again and starting from scratch.

Gotcha but he would need to sign an NHL deal to play for Vancouver?

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yes, in order to play in the NHL he would then need to sign a deal with that NHL team.

Worth noting that any NHL team could potentially sign him and I believe it would supersede his AHL contract.

Reactions: barriers

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

It’s kind of a nice deal for both sides. If he doesn’t make the team, the Canucks don’t have to waive him to get him down to the farm club, and he gets the security of knowing that he’ll be living in Vancouver all year either way.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I thought a player on a PTO had the option to sign with any NHL team that offered him a contract. How's that work if he has an AHL deal with a team already?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I have low expectations. If he works hard, finishes checks and is not a complete liability in his own zone, he might make the Canucks team.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
man blais would have massively benefited going to an expansion team. he will do what it takes to be useful in whatever role he can get.

he went from drafted as an undersized skill player to being one of the most consistent hitters per 60 in the league and did thrive when given opportunity on hisbreturn to st louis.

I still believe a team can get real value out of sammy if they can get him in a proper spot for an extended period of time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad