Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Dakota Joshua signs extension with the Canucks (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's a fair contract but steal? That's a big stretch.

This makes me think that Foegele could get something like 4x4.
Fair comment....If Foegele goes to UFA as a 20 plus goal scorer someone could give him that.

I dont know if you factor linemates that Foegele is that much better if at all but he does have more track record. Watching the 2 Foegele is faster better off the rush and good at disrupting with his speed he also has decent finishing ability and some PKing ability.

Joshua is more cerebral, a little better Pker better hands vision combo and is extremely strong and he's a big boy PF. He hits hard and is a load off the walls.

Speed is not great though so the biggest question will become can he gain a small step because if he does look out.

His trajectory is really fascinating and despite the SH% claims (which will regress somewhat) in a lot of ways DJ proved a lot to himself too and he showed that in the playoffs where he became an absolute handful and realizes what he's capable of.

But there is some risk he regresses too. With the chemistry him and Garland found i doubt its that much and could be a steeping point.

It's alright.
are you comfortable with it?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not bad. Hovering right around where my sort of "walk away" number would've been for him, but much better than a lot of the rumored numbers and fears of a deal up around that Marcus Foligno territory or more. $3M was sort of my top number, but whatever, not gonna cry over an extra $250k. Especially not when they managed to keep the term within reasonable bounds.

Important piece to keep because of his chemistry with Garland and obviously the size+physicality that the Canucks really need more of, not less. If they couldn't get a deal done with Dakota, they would've had an even bigger hole to dig out of in terms of size and physicality.

It's a bit of an overpayment because so much of his success is owed to Garland's play-driving...but since the Canucks still have Garland, i guess i don't really care that much. It lets them continue to run a "3rd line" that produces like a de facto "2b" line at even strength, pretty much regardless of who Centers them. So with say Bluegers... ~$10M for that isn't too shabby.

Pretty much my exact thoughts. I wanted no part of 4 million. This is a bit more than I wanted but it’s ok and obviously less than he could have had. It also keeps the third line together that was the best line on the team 5v5 for large portions of the year. But I still have concerns about this much money allocation to the third line when the Pettersson line still needs a winger and the defense needs a top 4 RD.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I write this down as to loving the coach, and I recalled many times watching Rick mentor Dak.. discount sure, but I think Josh sees a good situtation here.

Good job Alvin.
This, and his chemistry with his line mates, probably a big reason he decided to re-sign rather than chase possibly better money in free agency.
He could have pulled an Anson Carter and left a great situation to sign for a bit more money but end up being a bad fit on a bad team and basically washing out of the league a year later.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
and Joshua shot at a 21% shooting rate while Foegele was at 10%

typically 28 year olds, especially those just finishing their 2nd full season.. don't get better with age

and your team is still paying OEL not to play with you for 4 more years!

He did, but he’s also a guy who shoots a ton close to the net and his percentages in other years have generally been on the higher side. Even at 14% (he was at 13.5 in his career coming into this year), he would have been a 15 goal scorer in a full season, almost entirely 5v5. Combined with his physicality, solid defense, PK ability and the fact that he and Garland had a lot of chemistry (over 60% xGF% with them on the ice), it’s not a terrible deal.

Also, he was 27 all year, not 28, and I would say being in his second full year means it’s more likely that this is him getting better and not a random blip. He’s out in a lot of work to get where he is.

I do question whether it’s a best cap allocation for the team, but the deal is in line with how he played last year even if his shooting percentage regresses. Whether he can keep up that level is a risk for sure, especially for this level of player where regression can mean he’s replacement level, but watching him even in his first year in Van you could see the potential to raise his game. I don’t think it’s ridiculous that he’s a late bloomer.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He did, but he’s also a guy who shoots a ton close to the net and his percentages in other years have generally been on the higher side. Even at 14% (he was at 13.5 in his career coming into this year), he would have been a 15 goal scorer in a full season, almost entirely 5v5. Combined with his physicality, solid defense, PK ability and the fact that he and Garland had a lot of chemistry (over 60% xGF% with them on the ice), it’s not a terrible deal.

Also, he was 27 all year, not 28, and I would say being in his second full year means it’s more likely that this is him getting better and not a random blip. He’s out in a lot of work to get where he is.

I do question whether it’s a best cap allocation for the team, but the deal is in line with how he played last year even if his shooting percentage regresses. Whether he can keep up that level is a risk for sure, especially for this level of player where regression can mean he’s replacement level, but watching him even in his first year in Van you could see the potential to raise his game. I don’t think it’s ridiculous that he’s a late bloomer.
What do you mean EVEN if his shooting % regresses?

It is a slam dunk to regress. The guy shot 20.59% at 5v5 last season which is like Stamkos in a career year level finishing.

Dakota's other 2 seasons were 10% and 13.64%.

Going to be really interesting to see what Nuck fans opinions of this guy are in January.

• Haha
Reactions: AlbOilFAN and Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It is a slam dunk to regress. The guy shot 20.59% at 5v5 last season which is like Stamkos in a career year level finishing.

Going to be really interesting to see what Nuck fans opinions of this guy are in January.

If you read that again the sentence was about how he played this year, and the if was surrounding his play this year (the same play but a lower shooting percentage). It was phrased poorly but it should have been obvious by the first part of the post that I wasn’t expecting his shooting percentage to stay the same. But don’t let that stop you from going off like the rest of the same 10-15 of you idiot Oiler fans who jump on anything Canucks related.

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

You said the same things about this entire team over and over again last season and they just kept trucking along.

You're a wrong take machine so I'm glad you don't like this contract.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm surprised he didn't test the market. I thought he'd get a few crazy offers pushing well over 4M$ with similar or longer term.

Good deal for Van if he can remain anywhere close to his performance level this past season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty much my exact thoughts. I wanted no part of 4 million. This is a bit more than I wanted but it’s ok and obviously less than he could have had. It also keeps the third line together that was the best line on the team 5v5 for large portions of the year. But I still have concerns about this much money allocation to the third line when the Pettersson line still needs a winger and the defense needs a top 4 RD.

Yeah. It's the sort of money allocated to a "3rd line" that kind of necessitates that Petey is going to have to drag around some useless lumps for most of the years. Probably still enough money to find him one good winger, but the other wing is going to be...like the JT+Boeser line, where it's mostly a revolving door of whatever filler.

That's alright though i guess. It's not terrible to build around "duos" like this, in today's NHL.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Glad we agree that shooting % is going to plummet.
there's more to him than just stats, he plays a heavy game and he has come up clutch for us many times. I'm more than happy with him at this price. Canucks are in win now and he makes us better, who could we sign as an upgrade on him for that same cap hit?

Reactions: Avaetheon

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
congrats dakota, never thought you'd land a contract like this. and while it's probably because he hit his absolute peak last season, it's nice to see he's carved out a regular role with an organization finally

i expect he'll regress to a 15-25 point player next season or soon after, which will leave him slightly overpaid, but vancouver has shown they don't mind a little overpay if they like you

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Oilers fans are weirdly obsessed lol

there's more to him than just stats, he plays a heavy game and he has come up clutch for us many times. I'm more than happy with him at this price. Canucks are in win now and he makes us better, who could we sign as an upgrade on him for that same cap hit?
Lmao no Canucks fans have even said they’re happy because of the goals. He does everything else well that we need. Shooting percentage tho!!!

congrats dakota, never thought you'd land a contract like this. and while it's probably because he hit his absolute peak last season, it's nice to see he's carved out a regular role with an organization finally

i expect he'll regress to a 15-25 point player next season or soon after, which will leave him slightly overpaid, but vancouver has shown they don't mind a little overpay if they like you
Wanna bet?

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He had 23 in 11.5 min on the 4th line the year before. Normalized his personal and on-ice shooting percentages this year and he’d still be on a 30 point pace. As long as he’s getting 14-15 min next to Garland, I’d be very surprised if he drops below 25.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
With how depressed Canucks seemed to be the last couple months I'm surprised how pumped they are about running the same team back with raises.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You said the same things about this entire team over and over again last season and they just kept trucking along.

You're a wrong take machine so I'm glad you don't like this contract.
What are you talking about?

The Canucks scoring fell off hugely in the last half of the season.

The facts are they scored like a bottom third team since around January.

Maybe check your take assessing machine?

• Haha
Reactions: vanarchy

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

And somehow they still wound up with more points than the Oil?

How did a "bottom third scoring team" manage 109 points on the season if they were such crap from January onwards? Make it make sense, hockey guru.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

I've never seen a poster so obsessed with shooting %. Sounds like the Oilers should have had a better shooting %. Maybe you wouldn't have almost got swept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad