Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Dakota Joshua signs extension with the Canucks (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is a f***ing phenomenal deal as long as he keeps up the pace and doesn't get comfortable.

He easily could have had $4 million per on the open market. Might have had more term as well.

I'm still getting used to having competent management. It's kind of surreal.

I'm still not used to it. My knee-jerk reaction to every move we make is "I'm sure they f***ed it up" and then I'm pleasantly surprised

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
You should have been delighted if that would have been happened.

Terrific player. Absolutely stoked at this contract/value. Scored 40 ES points in 76 games last year from the 3rd line, one of the most physical players in the league, great PK guy. Signed through his prime.
Very good player, but yeah I wouldn't be comfortable at that number.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
and Joshua shot at a 21% shooting rate while Foegele was at 10%

typically 28 year olds, especially those just finishing their 2nd full season.. don't get better with age

and your team is still paying OEL not to play with you for 4 more years!
Beats paying Nurse $9.25 million for the next 6 years to play bottom pairing minutes.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
and Joshua shot at a 21% shooting rate while Foegele was at 10%

typically 28 year olds, especially those just finishing their 2nd full season.. don't get better with age

and your team is still paying OEL not to play with you for 4 more years!

Err what?

He did have a high shooting percentage...even if it falls back down to earth, which it most likely will, (let's say Foegele's shooting %) in terms of real numbers that means ES 11 goals over a full season. Which is fine - he also brings so much more to the team than points.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Why is that? I'd say its much more likely that a 28 year old with 8 years of NHL experience doesn't get better with age then a player like Joshua. A player who wasn't handed every opportunity on a silver platter and had to work his way up and play his way into a more important role is more likely to get better with age. I'd say the more likely thing that would make this age poorly is its hard to be a more physical player as you enter your 30s, but due to playing college until he was 23 and losing almost a whole season to covid he doesn't have quite as many miles on his body.

This year was the first year he got to play with more talented linemates like Garland and then Lindholm in the playoffs. Even then, he got basically zero PP time.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
That's some fine work Stanley!!

1719515689045.png

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why is that? I'd say its much more likely that a 28 year old with 8 years of NHL experience doesn't get better with age then a player like Joshua. A player who wasn't handed every opportunity on a silver platter and had to work his way up and play his way into a more important role is more likely to get better with age. I'd say the more likely thing that would make this age poorly is its hard to be a more physical player as you enter your 30s, but due to playing college until he was 23 and losing almost a whole season to covid he doesn't have quite as many miles on his body.

This year was the first year he got to play with more talented linemates like Garland and then Lindholm in the playoffs. Even then, he got basically zero PP time.
I’d add that there aren’t a lot of players who follow Joshua’s career path. So you can’t really say what is the ‘typical’ projection. How many players have a break out season at age 28? Tim Thomas maybe? Not many others.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Err what?

He did have a high shooting percentage...even if it falls back down to earth, which it most likely will, (let's say Foegele's shooting %) in terms of real numbers that means ES 11 goals over a full season. Which is fine - he also brings so much more to the team than points.

Joshua won't match this year's SH% but he's also a guy who basically only shoots the puck in high-danger chances from within 10-15 feet of goal. He will always be a guy who shoots 12-15% at worst.

This thing fans do where they assume that all players regress to the same base SH level is ridiculous. Different players play very differently.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Thought 4 mil per would be the cheapest it would come in at, nice contract for Vancouver.

I remember attending one of his first games for the Canucks live and thinking he looked out of place at the NHL level. Nice to see a guy put the work in, he was so fun to watch last season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not bad. Hovering right around where my sort of "walk away" number would've been for him, but much better than a lot of the rumored numbers and fears of a deal up around that Marcus Foligno territory or more. $3M was sort of my top number, but whatever, not gonna cry over an extra $250k. Especially not when they managed to keep the term within reasonable bounds.

Important piece to keep because of his chemistry with Garland and obviously the size+physicality that the Canucks really need more of, not less. If they couldn't get a deal done with Dakota, they would've had an even bigger hole to dig out of in terms of size and physicality.

It's a bit of an overpayment because so much of his success is owed to Garland's play-driving...but since the Canucks still have Garland, i guess i don't really care that much. It lets them continue to run a "3rd line" that produces like a de facto "2b" line at even strength, pretty much regardless of who Centers them. So with say Bluegers... ~$10M for that isn't too shabby.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Exactly. It's not like this guy has been around for years and was a seemingly known quantity who had a blip.

In 4 years he went from ECHL->AHL->NHL 4th liner->excellent NHL player. He's on an absolute ripper of a development curve and we don't really know where it ends.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's a fair contract but steal? That's a big stretch.

This makes me think that Foegele could get something like 4x4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad