Confirmed with Link: VAN/COL Poolman (20% retained) + 2025 4th for Erik Brannstrom(Waived)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Brannstrom was actually fourth, by a margin, in PK ice-time last game with just over a minute short-handed. Myers, Soucy and Hronek handled most of it. It looks like they do intend to use Brannstrom short-handed, though.

Yeah, I was quite surprised to see him very close to Desharnais’ total PK time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, the Canucks may have really lucked out that Brannstrom wasn't claimed on waivers by somebody.

The reason Ottawa didn't qualify him as an RFA is that he was due a raise on a base salary of $2m a season. But he signed in Colorado as a UFA for only $900,000 a season.

It's hard to believe when the Canucks acquired him and then put him on waivers, that some bottom-feeding team wouldn't have claimed him. After all, he's still only 25 and is still an RFA heading into next season. And $900,000 is barely $150,000 over the league minimum.

So if the Canucks want to qualify him and bring him back next season, it's only going to cost them a 15 percent raise on his base salary this year. Still a bargain.

I mean where are you going to find a depth d-man with two full NHL seasons under his belt in Ottawa for a number barely above the league minimum?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be the right decision to keep him in the lineup.

But people seem to be assuming he's 'in the regular lineup' not and I'll be stunned if that's the case. And as discussed, playing him creates significant PK issues.

Don't disagree with your prediction here but Desharnais can switch sides on the PK or just have Brannstrom PK. At the end of the day it comes down to fielding the best lineup. If we're winning games with Brannstrom in the lineup then keep him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad