Confirmed with Link: VAN/COL Poolman (20% retained) + 2025 4th for Erik Brannstrom(Waived)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I watched him in a couple Ottawa games last season, and he wasn't actually bad. I think he gets a lot of poop because of expectations for where he was drafted and who he was traded for. He's an NHLer. First injury we get on D, and he'll be the first one they call up.
I was kind of shocked to read that Brannstrom was actually a +5 in his last two years in Ottawa, on a team that was generally a defensive train-wreck. So he couldn't have been that bad in his own zone.

I think you're right. Being traded for Mark Stone landed him in a 'no-win' situation with the Sens and their fans.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I was kind of shocked to read that Brannstrom was actually a +5 in his last two years in Ottawa, on a team that was generally a defensive train-wreck. So he couldn't have been that bad in his own zone.

I think you're right. Being traded for Mark Stone landed him in a 'no-win' situation with the Sens and their fans.
When I heard about the trade, I honestly thought they were going to send down Friedman or Juulsen and run 4 lefties, 4 righties.

He was 9th worst among defenders that played half a season or more in giveaways per 60.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
When I heard about the trade, I honestly thought they were going to send down Friedman or Juulsen and run 4 lefties, 4 righties.

He was 9th worst among defenders that played half a season or more in giveaways per 60.

Report following the trade was the Canucks looked at Brannstrom in free agency, but weren't interested in him. So I doubt they're that high on the player ... he's a big addition to the farm, though, and we'll see how things play out and if he gets any call-ups.

Reactions: Vector

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Report following the trade was the Canucks looked at Brannstrom in free agency, but weren't interested in him. So I doubt they're that high on the player ... he's a big addition to the farm, though, and we'll see how things play out and if he gets any call-ups.
I'd think they would have to have a little interest to make the trade for him.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Nice upgrade on Juulsen who in his last 5 games was..

Opp

G

A

P

+/-

PIM

PPG

SHG

S

SHIFT

TOI
May 14, 24@ EDM000000012014:25
Apr 23, 24vs NSH000-140002211:24
Apr 18, 24@ WPG000000022318:21
Mar 31, 24vs ANA000-120012113:25
Mar 23, 24vs CGY000-1

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Brannstrom has played NHL games every year he's been in pro hockey, other than 18-19 when he was rookie with Vegas and played 41 games with their farm team in Chicago.

And in terms of games in the AHL, Juulsen has played 152 games in the minors since he broke in, while Brannstrom has played in just 82 AHL games.

So what's your point exactly?

That you thinking there was no way the Canucks staff could turn Juulsen, basically a player somewhat established as NHL depth-chart guy, into a depth defenseman is either just one of your weird made up algorithmic-esque have-to-fit-the-three-paragraph-template flourishes, or an indictment of your reasoning.

I’m going with the second one, since responding to that post with “uh well Brannstrom played X games!!! is similarly bizarre.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so i have been pondering this further. i like this add a lot. brannstrom just got put in a perfect position to succeed. if he gets called up he pairs with myers or desharnais in a system that is used to working with an undersized left side guy. he also kills penalties so hughes doesn't have to if he is the call up, which gives him a leg up on friedman and wolanin at the nhl level. and he has zero expectations on him as a throw in as part of a cap dump. anything good from him will be gravy.

so he's a gamble but a pretty good one. he's also 25, healthy, talented and motivated by a one year deal to save his career. the kind of player who can clear waivers yet still potentially really help a good team.

so i like the gamble a lot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably correct. The fact Brannstrom immediately went on waivers is pretty significant. Any team in the league could have claimed him, including the Av's if they'd really been interested in re-acquiring him. But clearly he was a 'cap dump' for them as well.

So likely the Canucks might have actually been hoping that he'd be claimed.....then their cap savings on the Poolman trade would have been close to $3m.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Probably correct. The fact Brannstrom immediately went on waivers is pretty significant. Any team in the league could have claimed him, including the Av's if they'd really been interested in re-acquiring him. But clearly he was a 'cap dump' for them as well.

So likely the Canucks might have actually been hoping that he'd be claimed.....then their cap savings on the Poolman trade would have been close to $3m.

Brannstrom is a salary and contract-slot dump, not a cap dump. His cap hit is entirely buried in the minors and is only 125k above the league minimum if he gets called up.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I will say, I'd guess the Canucks interest in Brannstrom would have been significantly higher if they knew they could get him to Abbotsford on a $900k contract. Certainly a nice asset to have in the AHL.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Smart trade no matter how you look at it. I hate losing picks, but anything to get Poolman off the roster is a win. Brannstrom in a Swede heavy environment, could rejuvenate his career, so who knows.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
so i have been pondering this further. i like this add a lot. brannstrom just got put in a perfect position to succeed. if he gets called up he pairs with myers or desharnais in a system that is used to working with an undersized left side guy. he also kills penalties so hughes doesn't have to if he is the call up, which gives him a leg up on friedman and wolanin at the nhl level. and he has zero expectations on him as a throw in as part of a cap dump. anything good from him will be gravy.

so he's a gamble but a pretty good one. he's also 25, healthy, talented and motivated by a one year deal to save his career. the kind of player who can clear waivers yet still potentially really help a good team.

so i like the gamble a lot.
Low risk as well (short duration on contract at a low cap hit). Need some competent personnel on the farm so he can provide for some depth in Abby.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
brannstrom seems destined to join the long list of former high pick dmen who passed through vancouver to no real (positive) impact

chris joseph, drake berehowsky, nolan baumgartner, steve mccarthy, ryan parent, cam barker, luca sbisa, derrick pouliot, erik gudbranson

but hey at least jovo/lachance was a pretty good pair for us

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
brannstrom seems destined to join the long list of former high pick dmen who passed through vancouver to no real (positive) impact

chris joseph, drake berehowsky, nolan baumgartner, steve mccarthy, ryan parent, cam barker, luca sbisa, derrick pouliot, erik gudbranson

but hey at least jovo/lachance was a pretty good pair for us
He’s like a cap dump…

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He’s like a cap dump…

well a contract slot dump but yeah

to my point, so was ryan parent but ppl talked themselves into being excited about him as a reclamation project because of his draft pedigree and once being traded for a star

just like some folks are doing in this thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad