Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Ilya Mikheyev(15% Retained), Sam Lafferty(Rights), 2027 2nd round pick for 2027 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Great trade. Recent cap dumps were suggesting that it would take a first, so to give up a second and get a fourth is outstanding value.

People complaining about losing a second in a couple years given the context of the team have totally lost the plot.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
That’s a massive win in my books. You trade a late second for an early 4th to get off of his contract. It’s basically the difference of 35-40 spots to open up nearly 5 million in cap space.

Edit: just saw it’s a 2027 4th. That’s not as big a win as it originally seemed but still overall good value to get off of his contract. Chicago will likely be fairly formidable by 2027.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
In fairness, he is a better/younger player than most cap dumps.

But yeah. It's good value.

Just in terms of cap freed up (times two years) relative to the player everyone watched last year, it’s good.

Like yes I think he’s going to bounce back into a useful top 9er, but we can’t take the risk that he doesn’t. That would be a Nonis sit on your hands kinda move. Especially with a shot at getting some quality on FA market or resign one more of the quality players we’re about to lose.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Live feed of Allvin and co, visiting Mikheyev at his home for a "quick chat, and some coffee" tonight:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Also, posters that are suggesting the Mikheyev signing was dumb because of this trade are 100% ignoring what was a completely unpredictable and catastrophic injury to this player given his playing style.

Just in terms of cap freed up (times two years) relative to the player everyone watched last year, it’s good.

Like yes I think he’s going to bounce back into a useful top 9er, but we can’t take the risk that he doesn’t. That would be a Nonis sit on your hands kinda move. Especially with a shot at getting some quality on FA market or resign one more of the quality players we’re about to lose.
And the risk of a bounce back isn’t just your normal risk since it’s possible he will never regain his explosive speed.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Not really a fan of this one. Think mikhayev is going to have a solid bounce back this fall. That will make it 5 drafts in a row without a second. 6 missing at least a 1st or a 2nd. Cannot just keep putting everything on the creditcard.

Go knock this next week out of the park and prove me wrong.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
And the risk of a bounce back isn’t just your normal risk since it’s possible he will never regain his explosive speed.

I wouldn't even say his skating was his main issue towards the end of this past season. He was moving generally well and generating separation and chances, his offensive game somehow regressed even further if that was possible. He was always a streaky guy with questionable hands, but he looked flat-out inept around the net this past season.

The fact Tocchet almost never used him on the PK, despite him apparently being brought in as some sort of PK asset, was weird.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The other direct consequence of this trade is the team absolutely needs another top six winger now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad