Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Canucks “going for it” and selling the future. But are these additions actually going to be enough to make them a contender? A playoff team: probably. But a bone fide contender: highly doubtful.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
This franchise is a joke.

This trade is just another slap in the face to fans who want nothing more than success.

All of this short term gain (if this is even a short term gain.. I'm not so sure) and continuously mortgaging the future.

How can a supposed draft guru keep trading picks for awful contracts?

Anyways, time to grab a Canes Aho jersey :nod:

Reactions: vanuck

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Would the 9th over all drafted and developed by the Canucks even be as good as Garland?

Reactions: Indiana

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yes, provided

Garland 4x4.5
Dickinson 3x3
Petey 7x7
Hughes 3x5
Hamonic 1x2
Virtanen bought out
Holtby either traded for a backup making 2M or less, or traded for a pick and signing a backup for 2M or less
Who the **** wants a 30+ year old backup goalie with a 4+ million cap hit (making 5.5+ million in actual salary) that is awful in that limited role without MAJOR salary retention? I doubt a 2nd round pick will be remotely close enough (and we of course don't have our 1st).

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
I hope we picked up some good contract negotiators.

We have something like 18 mil + another potential 6 mil (Holtby traded/Virtanen bought out) to sign:
  • 4 key RFAs - Pettersson, Hughes, Garland, Dickinson
  • 2 UFAs? - Top4 RHD, 4th line C
  • Backup goaltender if Holtby is out
I guess if you're continuing the short sightedness of bridging Pettersson/Hughes it's probably possible.
Chance is you end up hoping and praying that Hamonic liked the city enough to stick around at a reasonable price otherwise you're looking at Chatfield/Woo. Oh my.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am sad about losing beagle.

garland is worth more than a 2nd.
losing those three salaries for one year is worth more than a 7th
so oel retained cost us the best part of 9oa.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I really hope you're right. :laugh:
I had you guy’s ranked much higher than it went for you’s last year. Nothing went good for you’s it was a year you all should ignore. It was full of unimaginable inconveniences and occurrences. Taking shape nice for you’s now. Might be a contender quickly and everyone will see that last year wasn’t really anything that team could be evaluated on. Awesome deal for you’s ;)

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he's being overrated because people read a bit too much into a weird half season where he got to play half his games against LA/SJ/ANA. He's still likely to be a good asset but could easily end up overpaid/overvalued if he's paid based on last season.

Seems like no one wants to give any credit to this season because every division had poor teams. He also had to face Colorado, Vegas, and Minnesota, who were all incredibly stingy all year. I think his numbers are pretty accurate, and he was very good the year before in under 15 minutes a game. The dude stands out most games. There's a reason he's been highly coveted since it came out he was available.

Reactions: Petey O

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Canucks “going for it” and selling the future. But are these additions actually going to be enough to make them a contender? A playoff team: probably. But a bone fide contender: highly doubtful.
Before this trade I was calling for a 99 point season. The term on oel is not super, but in the short term the team is deep. I would expect the Canucks to finish top of the division now.

• Haha
Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Somebody said something on the main board I thought interesting
Vancouver just should have traded the picks for Garland
It is still a bad trade, but it technically does way damage to vancouver in the long run.

Reactions: BimJenning

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've roasted Benning before, but really pretty hard to argue with this trade. Freeing up cap space is the new gold rush in the NHL, and when you consider that last season the Leafs traded a first rounder to Carolina just to get out from under the last year of Patrick Marlowe's deal, unloading Roussel, Eriksson and Beagle in one fell-swoop is a huge win for Vancouver.

And the 'Yotes are retaining 12 percent of OEL's deal, so really the cap hit is closer to $7m a season. And Garland is a huge add as a potential winger on the Horvat line.

Losing a top-10 pick this year and a second rounder next year is sobering. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks don't re-acquire a few more picks if they end up trading Schmidt and Holtby.

The future be damned.....the Canucks have been talking about 'the future' for eight seasons now. No doubt this deal makes them a lot better next season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Time to listen to my boy.

Schmidt, OEL, Garland, Miller are all excellent pieces acquired by trade.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Seems like no one wants to give any credit to this season because every division had poor teams. He also had to face Colorado, Vegas, and Minnesota, who were all incredibly stingy all year. I think his numbers are pretty accurate, and he was very good the year before in under 15 minutes a game. The dude stands out most games. There's a reason he's been highly coveted since it came out he was available.

like I said, I think he’s good. But as with Dickinson we have to see what contract he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad