Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Zadorov is maybe a year too long.

Trenin is a bit high...I was actually thinking it might make more sense to do a Miles Wood type deal with Trenin as he's 27...6 years 2.5M per becomes a more acceptable number

Skjei will depend on expectations.

Lindholm I need to see with elite wingers this year

The rest I see looking bad immediately or 2 years time.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Well this is twice he's asked to be traded or expressed his disappointment with the organization.

It's OK Nick. If you believe you can get better opportunities elsewhere then you should.

Nick Robertson for the most part has never really reached a point where a GM could sell high on him. His trade value (IMHO) is always the same: a 3rd rounder or possibly a depth defenseman in a trade.

What if Treliving fulfills his wishes?

What do you think he can get in a trade?

You’re probably right. I’d say a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if someone really values Nick Robertson.

I would decline his request and put him up with Matthews and Domi for the year. He is pretty threatening as a scoring winger. Maybe see if we can salvage him as an asset - thinking out loud though this probably hurts Knies development a bit.

Poor coaching decisions on Keefe’s behalf with this kid.

Dubas’ lazy roster construction strikes again.

Reactions: aingefan

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Even if he hadn't made the request/ there wasn't bad blood, the more I look at it the more we're in a tricky situation space wise with him and Dewar. I had taken 800k-1m for Dewar and 1-1.5 Robertson for granted, but then you've got McMann/Benoit/Reaves kind of setting a 1.35m internal floor for non ELC proven roster players, and Grundstrom 1.8, Dellandrea 1.3, Brink 1.5, Dorofeyev 1.8, McMichael 2.1, Lundstrom 1.5, Chinakov 2.1...

There's a legitimate case that market is closer to 3m than 2 on those two guys combined

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Would something around Robertson for Pageau (50% retention) make sense?

Then dump Kampf somewhere to create the roster spot/cap room for the deal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even if he hadn't made the request/ there wasn't bad blood, the more I look at it the more we're in a tricky situation space wise with him and Dewar. I had taken 800k-1m for Dewar and 1-1.5 Robertson for granted, but then you've got McMann/Benoit/Reaves kind of setting a 1.35m internal floor for non ELC proven roster players, and Grundstrom 1.8, Dellandrea 1.3, Brink 1.5, Dorofeyev 1.8, McMichael 2.1, Lundstrom 1.5, Chinakov 2.1...

There's a legitimate case that market is closer to 3m than 2 on those two guys combined

I think if we go for a 1 year term we can maybe swing 1x1 on Dewar

Robertson it's kinda N/A because I have my doubts he's on the roster at all.

Reactions: TimeZone

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think if we go for a 1 year term we can maybe swing 1x1 on Dewar
The more I look at it the more that's really squeezing

In calendar 2024 the following RFA 1-way deal forwards got less than 1.2m

Kyle Mclean 775 x 3 - 25 year old depth player, under 50 total NHL games
Podkolzin 1m x 2 - 22 year prospect yo-yoing to AHL
Gadjovich 775 x 2 - 25 year old tweener
Pospisil 1x2 - 24 year old rookie

I hope to be wrong, but an arbitration eligible guy with two full seasons as an everyday guy on playoff teams doesn't seem to fit in

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't trade him unless you get a similar player, like Kaliyev or Kakko. Doesn't make sense to trade him for a pick, and he has no leverage to force the Leafs to do anything otherwise.

100% agree. I think there are a few fits like that around the league. I think Kakko is too expensive for the gamble at 2.4M. Kaliyev is interesting for sure.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm not sure Mitch would work as well at C, as he's smaller and less willing to drive to the net.

If I was to try that, I'd swap your second and third lines.
fair points, I meant to say that we would have a first line and then two second lines I guess.

As for Marner's style, he also plays too small to be a puck retrieving, cycling winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'll get this out of theway.

I'm incredibly lazy, so I don't want to go and look back.

However, I've seen that we were really close on Roy. Was there anything definite on why it didn't happen?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Well this is twice he's asked to be traded or expressed his disappointment with the organization.

It's OK Nick. If you believe you can get better opportunities elsewhere then you should.

Nick Robertson for the most part has never really reached a point where a GM could sell high on him. His trade value (IMHO) is always the same: a 3rd rounder or possibly a depth defenseman in a trade.

What if Treliving fulfills his wishes?

What do you think he can get in a trade?
at least he gets a like potential same aged player/prospect ...with his limited icetime and lower quality linemates he scored at a much higher pace than Bertuzzi, and should return a 1st (if pick only) based on his cost and potential.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'll get this out of theway.

I'm incredibly lazy, so I don't want to go and look back.

However, I've seen that we were really close on Roy. Was there anything definite on why it didn't happen?
Not sure but a poor choice by him considering where these two teams are in terms of contention and quality.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Still hoping that if we are moving on from Robertson, that it’s a package for McGroarty.

Put McGroarty at 3RW, and let him continue his development.

A developed LW/RW combo of Knies and McGroarty could be a very hard and skilled combination to play against, as long as they continue to develop.

As much as I like Robertson, have hated his being yo-yo’d and am interested to see what he can do as full time player under Berube, if the guy has chosen now to declare he doesn’t want to be here anymore, then I want someone who stands to be better.

Disappointed to be honest in Robertson’s position. I don’t blame him for feeling what he feels previously but I think this is a poor decision being made on his part doing this now.

He will be given a real opportunity now, but it sounds like he doesn’t want it. Optics aren’t good on him

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I wouldn't trade him unless you get a similar player, like Kaliyev or Kakko. Doesn't make sense to trade him for a pick, and he has no leverage to force the Leafs to do anything otherwise.
I would definitely do a Kaliyev or Kakko swap for Robertson.

Kaliyev actually reminds me a bit of Robertson, but much bigger (6'2). He was a huge scorer in Junior (50 goals) who hasn't quite found his touch yet in the NHL, but has shown glimpses. He has a huge shot that can help PP2. Defensively, he's still a work in progress, but has good size for it.

Kakko hasn't shown the offence people expected, but he's a great defensive forward. Would be great for the third line.

I feel like Kaliyev and Robertson asking for trades is perfect synchronicity. Both want out and both have equal value. Robertson goes home to California and Kalivey helps Greyonkin with his move to Canada.

Reactions: ToneDog

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Willy still has more experience, don’t think you can dismiss him after a couple few game sanples, when internationally he’s great.
Mitch would be facing a major learning curve. Again, maybe he could do it, his two way game suggests he could, but it would take some time for sure.
Willy only plays center on the big ice. He can’t play center on nhl ice.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

The Tanev deal is worse than any of the defensemen's on this list.

I'd rather have Dumba or Lyubushkin for those contracts. The Edmundson one stinks but is still less term and less money. The Zadarov contract will likely age better than Tanev's too.

Skjei is a much better defenseman and for a $1M more than the two rejects from Dallas should have been made prioroty.

The potential for the worst deal here is Monahan's imo.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad