Proposal: Value of JT Miller after this Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
-118 pts in his last 122 games
- Can play Centre or Wing
- 28 yrs old
- 18 pts in 17 playoff games for Canucks
- Rugged, Physical, Skilled
- Signed for 2 more years at 5.25 mil AAV

Just an absolute beast for the Canucks. Plays a physical power forward game on the ice and Alpha in the locker room.

However, I believe the Canucks will eventually trade Miller after this season as they are forward heavy and need some massive help on the Blue Line.

They certainly will not let him walk away for nothing in 2 years.

IMO its between him or Brock Boeser that will be moved in the future and with Miller being older and will demand a new long term contract when he is 30 yrs old, I believe the Canucks will choose to keep Boeser instead of Miller.

I also believe the Canucks are grooming Podkolzin to be a Miller replacement. They play a similar style, where as the Canucks would not have a sniper replacement for Boeser in the future.

Canuck's Core:

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Miller
Garland
Hoglander
Podkolzin
Hughes
OEL
Rathbone
Demko

As you can see, that young core will definitely need some stability and help on defence.

Assuming the Canucks put Miller on the block after this season, what would your offer be?

Looking for:

-D-man, preferably Right Shot. Must fit core's age window ( 23-30 yrs old)

There's also a chance, it all hits the fan this season, and the Canucks blow it all up and will accept high draft picks and top prospects.

Let's hear some offers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s more than their F to D ratio.

it’s that Miller will be ufa in 2023 at age 30. And they would be a year from Petey being ufa. Plus Bo is ufa in 2023 as well.

And given his age how many more productive years would he have? Saw Landy at 28 going on 29 and Couturier when he will be 29 going on 30 get 8 year deals.

not something the canucks should be considering.

aside from Bergeron and Pacelski, the rest of the 2003 draft class has fallen off like getzlaf, Perry, Staal, Carter, Backes, etc. Over the past couple of seasons when they were 34-36. Rare for players to play well into and through their mid 30’s

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think he nets us more than we gave up, but it will be futures. I also have hopes Woo will make the team next season as our #6 and work his way to a top 4 RD.

Reactions: gianni

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you wait until the season ends, the offers are going to be less. If it's before the draft, you've got a player who you can't even extend yet and risk losing at the end of the upcoming season. If it's after the draft, you're probably looking for teams to want to negotiate a new contract with him. I think it will be tough to get a ready now player on defense if you're trading him with a year left. Would imagine it ends up more futures than anything else.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Unless an offer came that filled a more pressing need I don't he gets moved Unless in his last season at the deadline.

If they are legit contenders no chance he gets moved, teams that want to win don't make moves to make them worse.
In 2 years who knows where the team will be cap wise and if he's still producing and subsequent moves are made if needed.
extending one of your key pieces especially if JT is receptive to staying. Plenty of examples around the league. People saying those deals might not age well might be right but if the goal is to win then who gives a shot.
Every team needs a JT miller.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Basically PPG powerforward winger than can play PP and PK and can take faceoffs at a steal of an AAV. Doesn’t grow on trees. Should return a haul if he is traded, but I don’t see it happening until later if at all. Benning is all in for the next 2 seasons which will be interesting

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Basically PPG powerforward winger than can play PP and PK and can take faceoffs at a steal of an AAV. Doesn’t grow on trees. Should return a haul if he is traded, but I don’t see it happening until later if at all. Benning is all in for the next 2 seasons which will be interesting

Thread isnt really about if its likely to happen or not,

Thread is about if it does happen after this season, what would the return be or players that can be traded for Miller in a "hockey trade"

Reactions: Perennial

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Unless an offer came that filled a more pressing need I don't he gets moved Unless in his last season at the deadline.

If they are legit contenders no chance he gets moved, teams that want to win don't make moves to make them worse.
In 2 years who knows where the team will be cap wise and if he's still producing and subsequent moves are made if needed.
extending one of your key pieces especially if JT is receptive to staying. Plenty of examples around the league. People saying those deals might not age well might be right but if the goal is to win then who gives a shot.
Every team needs a JT miller.

If Canucks miss the playoffs this season, Benning will be fired before the draft.

Miller will have 1 yr left in that contract and will be pushing 30. They will likely look into moving him because:

-Boeser will need a new deal
- 1 yr until Horvat is UFA
-2 years until Pettersson will need a new deal

Miller will probably demand somewhere around 8 mil per season for at least 4 seasons in his next contract.

Canucks likely cant or wont want to do that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Canucks miss the playoffs this season, Benning will be fired before the draft.

Miller will have 1 yr left in that contract and will be pushing 30. They will likely look into moving him because:

-Boeser will need a new deal
- 1 yr until Horvat is UFA
-2 years until Pettersson will need a new deal

Miller will probably demand somewhere around 8 mil per season for at least 4 seasons in his next contract.

Canucks likely cant or wont want to do that.
Miller will be looking for term, just like Couturier did when his new kicks in next year. He was drafted in 2011, so 11 years onto 18 plus he had a late birthday, so he would turn 30 very early that season, thus only months younger than Miller would be on his next deal, and Coots signed for the max 8 years at what like $7.75 mill AAV.

Be certain that Miller is eying that kind of contract and term.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
-118 pts in his last 122 games
- Can play Centre or Wing
- 28 yrs old
- 18 pts in 17 playoff games for Canucks
- Rugged, Physical, Skilled
- Signed for 2 more years at 5.25 mil AAV

Just an absolute beast for the Canucks. Plays a physical power forward game on the ice and Alpha in the locker room.

However, I believe the Canucks will eventually trade Miller after this season as they are forward heavy and need some massive help on the Blue Line.

They certainly will not let him walk away for nothing in 2 years.

IMO its between him or Brock Boeser that will be moved in the future and with Miller being older and will demand a new long term contract when he is 30 yrs old, I believe the Canucks will choose to keep Boeser instead of Miller.

I also believe the Canucks are grooming Podkolzin to be a Miller replacement. They play a similar style, where as the Canucks would not have a sniper replacement for Boeser in the future.

Canuck's Core:

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Miller
Garland
Hoglander
Podkolzin
Hughes
OEL
Rathbone
Demko

As you can see, that young core will definitely need some stability and help on defence.

Assuming the Canucks put Miller on the block after this season, what would your offer be?

Looking for:

-D-man, preferably Right Shot. Must fit core's age window ( 23-30 yrs old)

There's also a chance, it all hits the fan this season, and the Canucks blow it all up and will accept high draft picks and top prospects.

Let's hear some offers.
I dont get this, why are Canucks trading one of their core pieces? Are they going for another rebuild? Its pretty stupid unless trading Miller is bringing us a top pairing D man.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thread isnt really about if its likely to happen or not,

Thread is about if it does happen after this season, what would the return be or players that can be traded for Miller in a "hockey trade"

Players like Miller with one season remaining aren't dealt in "hockey trades". Any team interested in Miller would be looking to go all-in for the season, and thus offering picks and prospects unlikely to immediately help Vancouver in 2022-23.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
After this year he is a rental with 1 year left on his deal. His return would be a 1st++ from a playoff team looking to bolster their top 6.
No team is going to move an integral young top 4 RHD for a rental.

Maybe he could get someone like Dumolin or Dumba since they have the same contract length and are close in age. But I think Minnesota/Pittsburgh would consider their dman more vital but idk, you'd have to ask one of their fans.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I think trading him for a D is pointless because you'll lose so much Value D>>>W. I'd rather trade him for a lesser top 6 forward with more term on a fair caphit.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Little hard to say without knowing what kind of season he's about to have dont ya think?

Regardless, he'll be worth less in a year from now then he's worth right now. A team trading for him now gets him for two playoff runs. A team trading for him next July only gets 1 run.

Right now, I think he'd be worth a 1st + A-/B+ prospect + young roster player with ok upside. He's a very valuable piece for a cup hopeful team or even a playoff bubble team trying to establish themselves in that contender tier.

A year from now, regardless of how good or bad a year he has, I think you'll be lucky to get 2/3 of those assets.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I'd only consider trading JT Miller if the Canucks had unsuccessfully exhausted all other options for acquiring a defensive right side D.

That being said, I'd like to see how the new acquisitions do first...

Would also like to see if the Kraken might be hurting for some more offense, and if they'd be interested in trading Adam Larsson; or if the Flames would want to retool/rebuild & trade Chris Tanev?

Any idea if Anton Stralman is still a capable d-man?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
After this year he is a rental with 1 year left on his deal. His return would be a 1st++ from a playoff team looking to bolster their top 6.
No team is going to move an integral young top 4 RHD for a rental.

Maybe he could get someone like Dumolin or Dumba since they have the same contract length and are close in age. But I think Minnesota/Pittsburgh would consider their dman more vital but idk, you'd have to ask one of their fans.
As a rental, he would garner a 1st and 2nd pick plus a blue chip prospect at minimum.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I'd only consider trading JT Miller if the Canucks had unsuccessfully exhausted all other options for acquiring a defensive right side D.

That being said, I'd like to see how the new acquisitions do first...

Would also like to see if the Kraken might be hurting for some more offense, and if they'd be interested in trading Adam Larsson; or if the Flames would want to retool/rebuild & trade Chris Tanev?

Any idea if Anton Stralman is still a capable d-man?
I would take Larsson and Donskoi for Miller if the trade happened now. Larsson would help our D while Donskoi would replace Miller.

D core:
Hughes-Larsson
OEL-Hamonic
Poolman-Myers
Rathbone, Schenn

That would make our D very balanced and Hamonic-OEL could be used as a shutdown D pairing.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Toffoli Got Madden and 2nd plus another pick I think. Miller is worth more than that for sure
Yeah I’d agree he’s worth more than Toffoli but I wouldn’t call Madden a blue chipper

I think he could 2/3 of a blue chip prospect, a 1st and a 2nd. There’s not really any precedent for a good top 6 forward rental returning more

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's worth a 1st + prospect. We will debate endlessly how nice of a prospect he garners.

Salary returning to Vancouver (and whether that salary is good quality) would be a big factor in determining value.

Given that the team bridged Petterssen, a Miller trade for futures only makes sense if the Canucks are well out of it at the deadline next season, in which case Miller and Horvat could both be traded as two of the top available assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad