Value of: value of David Savard and Scott Hartnell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Savard is worth a lot to Columbus. There is no right shot defenseman to replace him. Hartnell is no longer a cap problem so he will no longer be cheap.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Savard is worth considerably more. We have nobody that can replace him on the right side 2nd pairing. Hartnell we have internal replacements for but we won't be trading him with retention or for cap dumps.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Savard is worth considerably more. We have nobody that can replace him on the right side 2nd pairing. Hartnell we have internal replacements for but we won't be trading him with retention or for cap dumps.

Hartnell is our chemist. Our line doctor. When a line isn't working, put Hartnell on it. It will score more. I'd want good value for him or I say we should keep him indefinitely.

Of course if the team stinks this year, Hartnell can go at the deadline. I think he'd fetch a fair bit. Savard I can't imagine going even in that circumstance. It's just too damn hard to get a top four RHD. And he's young.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If your plan was to attach hartnell to lower Savard value, your premise is entirely flawed.

If your goal is grabbing both, be prepared to pay alot.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Savard would cost a good amount. Columbus isn't looking as far as any of us know to dump Hartnell since buying out Tyutin and Boll. It would probably be wise to wait until the TDL to make an offer for him.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'm not sure what team the OP is a fan of, but think along the lines of Matt Duchene+ if Hartnell and Savard are packaged together.

But the Jackets can't afford to move Savy anyways because they lack RHD depth outside of him and Jones.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not sure what team the OP is a fan of, but think along the lines of Matt Duchene+ if Hartnell and Savard are packaged together.

But the Jackets can't afford to move Savy anyways because they lack RHD depth outside of him and Jones.

Duchene+? No that's too much value. Hartnell is basically a non-factor value wise in such a deal, and Savard is a good #3D at this point. Even leaving aside value, it's a win for the Jackets on fit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So what do you think the Jackets would want from the Habs for Savard and Hartnell together? They are a perfect fit in Mtl. Hartnell's grittiness and scoring and Savard's heritage, which is worth a lot there.
I'm going to go with "a deal is not realistically feasible".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Blue jackets fans trying their hardest to pretend Hartnell isn't a cap dump.
Your inability to accept reality is your problem, not ours. :)

He's paid like a top-6 gritty scoring forward, and he produces and performs like a top-6 gritty scoring forward. His age and term make him potentially available, not valueless.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:laugh:

Good one.
I believe the justification goes something like this:
  • Losing Savard is bad; that creates a significant hole at RHD that would be hard to patch.
  • Losing Savard can be sort of justified if we patch some other significant hole.
  • On paper, our only significant hole is a lack of a #1C.
The correct conclusion based on that is, of course, that Savard isn't realistically available because what we'd need and what we can get for him do not line up at all. The silly and absurd conclusion is this sort of "well, if you really wanted him..." kind of conjecture - if only because folks will inevitably misinterpret that as an overestimation of Savard's vacuum value rather than taking a dubious premise to its absurd conclusion.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I believe the justification goes something like this:
  • Losing Savard is bad; that creates a significant hole at RHD that would be hard to patch.
  • Losing Savard can be sort of justified if we patch some other significant hole.
  • On paper, our only significant hole is a lack of a #1C.
The correct conclusion based on that is, of course, that Savard isn't realistically available because what we'd need and what we can get for him do not line up at all. The silly and absurd conclusion is this sort of "well, if you really wanted him..." kind of conjecture - if only because folks will inevitably misinterpret that as an overestimation of Savard's vacuum value rather than taking a dubious premise to its absurd conclusion.

I don't care about the justification one bit, Duchene is worth a whole lot more than either of Savard and Hartnell and both of them combined as well. Not even sure how he came into the equation in the first place.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't care about the justification one bit, Duchene is worth a whole lot more than either of Savard and Hartnell and both of them combined as well. Not even sure how he came into the equation in the first place.
...and if you'd actually read my whole post instead of merely quoting it, you'd notice that I completely agree that suggesting him is insane.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
if the canucks are indeed dead set on making the playoffs and Hartnell is on the block Benning better have at least inquired. Hartnell would easily fit on all three lines. We need alot more forwards 1 injury in our top 9 hurts us and in our top 6 cripples us.

I offer Gaunce + your 2ND back(if we still have it) for Hartnell + a 3rd or 15%-30% retention.

note: I realize for this to work canucks need more cap space so let's pretend Sbisa already gone, cause Clb isn't taking him lol.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
if the canucks are indeed dead set on making the playoffs and Hartnell is on the block Benning better have at least inquired. Hartnell would easily fit on all three lines. We need alot more forwards 1 injury in our top 9 hurts us and in our top 6 cripples us.

I offer Gaunce + your 2ND back(if we still have it) for Hartnell + a 3rd or 15%-30% retention.

note: I realize for this to work canucks need more cap space so let's pretend Sbisa already gone, cause Clb isn't taking him lol.
Mmmmmmmaybe. Doable at the deadline if we're out of it. Would have been even more doable in June, before the buyouts happened.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Never change, Joey. Keep the hilarity coming.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Blue jackets fans trying their hardest to pretend Hartnell isn't a cap dump.

He isn't a cap dump until he's actually dumped for cap purposes.

Until then, he's a 34 year old winger who just scored 23 goals and 49 points in 79 games with a cap hit of $4.75 million per year for 3 years, has an NMC and has been cited for his leadership in the lockerroom.. Value that as you will. He's not as valuable as a 30 year old with those stats or a player who has only 2 years and no NMC. But I don't think those completely cancel out his production and leadership. His value may be close to zero but it's not less than zero (aka a player who would have to be dumped for cap purposes).

As for Savard, he's a quality 2nd pairing RHD with a good shot and is still fairly young with upside. Those are going for a premium at the moment.

Last edited:

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
When I saw the thread title I expected to see a lot of people undervaluing Savard. I'm pleasantly surprised. He's very underrated. I'm a fan.

I don't see either player going anywhere, and if he does go it wont be cheap.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hartnell and Savard would be good pickups for a team looking to get closer to the cap or a Cup.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Have to think that CBJ would move Hartnell without needing a ton back.

Right now, they have 4 forwards with a NMC, and that doesn't involve Saad, Wenneberg, Atkinson or Jenner. My guess is they would rather protect all 4 of those guys instead of Hartnell.

The other players with a NMC are Dubinsky, Foligno and Clarkson. Nobody is taking Foligno or Clarkson off their hands. That leaves Dubinsky or Hartnell, and CBJ doesn't really have another center to replace Dubinsky.

They may prefer to wait until the deadline to see if they can get something good for Hartnell, but if they hold him past the deadline, they are risking one of their younger forwards for a 35 year old 50 point player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad