Florida add some cap space, and a high-upside prospect with the #5 pick

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
#5 to Florida for Lundell & Knight

Habs get a young 2-way C, and a young goaltender with all-star potential

Knight doesn't have much value until he makes a real comeback.

Lundell doesn't fill a need.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What proposal? I made no proposal in that thread.

I responded to a proposal by saying I'd easily accept 5th+Barron for Lafreniere + Schneider from the Habs side and that NYR would say no.

If anything, I'm on your side by saying that proposal undervalues Lafreniere.
Thank you for clarifying.
Apologies + my bad on mistaking that
5th+Barron for Lafreniere + Schneider
was by you.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think something around
Ducks pick (post lottery 3-5)
For
Montreal pick(5-7) +

Could make sense, if levshunov is gone at 2

-Ducks trade down to get a dmen
-Montreal ensures they get 1 of Demidov/lindstrom

I’m interested, depending on what the + is obviously

I like Lundell but where exactly is the 2C in that deal?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like Zegras but based on what I'm seeing in these playoffs I'd like them to use the pick - wether it's 3 or 5 and target Lindstrom. I know Demidov is a darling among lots of habs fans, but I don't think they'll draft him. I think it's Lindstrom or Iginla - but I also thought they were taking Wright and Leonard so what the f*** do I know?
Leonard is is a guy id love to have. Maybe my favorite prospect in the league.

Reinbacher is solid and should be solid and at a position that is generally harder to find. Kinda an awkward pick at the time for montreal.

I feel like if levshunov is off the board for our pick.... then its going to be a bit of an awkward pick for us... either we reach for a guy like Yakemchuk/Buium.... or we take a forward and add to a group thats becoming slightly over filled with talent.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

Habs have no need of knight and can have a nicer piece than Lundell with the 5th

Reactions: viceroy

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It feels like, more than just "A Forward"...the Habs really need a #1 Center. Or at least a #1a/b to platoon with Suzuki.

Those types of players are just not really available while young and under team control, unless there are some serious red flags, extenuating circumstances, or they're stuck as more "potential" than "performance".

Zegras is probably the closest thing to that potentially out there. And if he's available...there are reasons for it, as per above.

Which is where...if you're the Habs, i think you really just have to stay put and grab a guy in the draft. Even if you get crucified for "overdrafting"...the draft remains the only place to really acquire what Montreal needs most. So you've gotta try. You've gotta take swings. Even if that means someone like Catton or Lindstrom at 5.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It feels like, more than just "A Forward"...the Habs really need a #1 Center. Or at least a #1a/b to platoon with Suzuki.

Those types of players are just not really available while young and under team control, unless there are some serious red flags, extenuating circumstances, or they're stuck as more "potential" than "performance".

Zegras is probably the closest thing to that potentially out there. And if he's available...there are reasons for it, as per above.

Which is where...if you're the Habs, i think you really just have to stay put and grab a guy in the draft. Even if you get crucified for "overdrafting"...the draft remains the only place to really acquire what Montreal needs most. So you've gotta try. You've gotta take swings. Even if that means someone like Catton or Lindstrom at 5.
Ya i agree that montreal prob need a center... Suzuki seems like a perfect 2c or 1a/1b scenario on a contender
im not convinced Dach is the ideal center for top 6 tho... maybe hell prove me wrong tho.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Leonard is is a guy id love to have. Maybe my favorite prospect in the league.

Reinbacher is solid and should be solid and at a position that is generally harder to find. Kinda an awkward pick at the time for montreal.

I feel like if levshunov is off the board for our pick.... then its going to be a bit of an awkward pick for us... either we reach for a guy like Yakemchuk/Buium.... or we take a forward and add to a group thats becoming slightly over filled with talent.
Ducks could always trade down the draft for more assets and come out looking like a savvy organization.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ducks could always trade down the draft for more assets and come out looking like a savvy organization.
Thats kinda where my head is... not that we need much more in terms of assets... but if the goal is to find help in the form of RW/RHD... then having extra picks(on top of what we already have) could help achieve that via trade, we also have plenty of cap space to figure it out.

I guess well see... maybe PV throws everyone a curveball and takes demidov or lindstrom. But the obvious hole in the roster is top 4 RHD.

At the very least... PV should at least make it seem like we could take either guy.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'd offer it for Mercer, Z, Frost or equivilant. If that fails, then BPA defenseman, develop him and see who amongst the overflow of defenseman can be traded.

This is a critical junction were we get out of rebuild next year or add a few more.
Nonono the guy at 5 will have higher potential than these guys outside of Z (assuming this is Zegras), but he comes with different "issues" : contract, play style, potentially attitude.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Montreal is still in rebuild mode although they have made a few trades to speed it up. Dach and Newhook.

Now I personally would trade #5 for Zegras even though he is not the type of player the Habs seem to be looking to build upon.

I think that they should just stay the course and draft at #5. They will have many different options.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Thats kinda where my head is... not that we need much more in terms of assets... but if the goal is to find help in the form of RW/RHD... then having extra picks(on top of what we already have) could help achieve that via trade, we also have plenty of cap space to figure it out.

I guess well see... maybe PV throws everyone a curveball and takes demidov or lindstrom. But the obvious hole in the roster is top 4 RHD.
Just went and had a quick look at various teams young RD's and the only one I could come up with is Buffalo's Henri Jokiharju who looks to be somewhat available.

Sabres fans seem to hate him but these guys seem to think he had a good year
Sabres' Jokiharju Overlooked in Breakout Season - The Hockey Writers Buffalo Sabres Latest News, Analysis & More

Would rather just draft BPA at 5OA but if we were going to trade it maybe a 3 way

5th OA to Ducks for Zegras
Zegras & Jordan Harris to Devils
Mercer and 10A to Habs
Ah... No

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Just went and had a quick look at various teams young RD's and the only one I could come up with is Buffalo's Henri Jokiharju who looks to be somewhat available.

Sabres fans seem to hate him but these guys seem to think he had a good year
Sabres' Jokiharju Overlooked in Breakout Season - The Hockey Writers Buffalo Sabres Latest News, Analysis & More

Ah... No
We may have to aim at pesce, roy, demelo or montour in free agency for short/mid term and draft a guy for long term play

And trade for a RW, tho some duck fans think we’re gunna go for Stamkos(I don’t see it)

Reactions: Xirik

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Laf is not worth a top5 pick tho.

Barron + 5th
For
Laf + Schneider

Is the only deal making sense for Habs
Neutral fan but this might be the worst proposal I've ever seen here.

Barron is an AHL tweener meanwhile the other two are established nhlers

EDIT: I didn't realize it was 5th overall, and not a 5th rounder. Still think you need to pony up a much better dman than Barron. Mailloux might be more in line.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

EDIT: I didn't realize it was 5th overall, and not a 5th rounder. Still think you need to pony up a much better dman than Barron. Mailloux might be more in line.
You haven't been here very long I see...

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
You haven't been here very long I see...
8 years has been enough lol. If it was a 5th round pick and Barron it would be one of the worst ever lol. But I misinterpreted, that you meant 5th overall pick which obviously makes it a lot closer.

Reactions: jfhabs

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Mailloux has a similar upside to Schneider.
Laf is not worth a 5th oa pick

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No there is no "in middle there". You have to be really out of lunch to think guhle+reinbacher++ for Laf is a good proposal.
and there was a counter of barron + 5th (i assume oa) for laf + schneider in this thread, which is equally or even more stupid

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
and there was a counter of barron + 5th (i assume oa) for laf + schneider in this thread, which is equally or even more stupid
Its clearly not. Not even close in fact. I don't know what kind of value you put on each of those pieces but the bern proposal was atrocious compare to that.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd put Mercer's value as 15OA and Harris at a mid 2nd so call it 5+48 for 10 +15, not really a paperclip for a house
I read the 10 as a 1 and an o as in 1st overall. I’d still rank Merced higher than 15th as he is a guaranteed 1st liner. I think someone did a chart and higher teens are supposed to turn into second liners. So I’d say 2 picks around 10. They are also closer to being done their rebuild so wouldn’t want to wait for 5th pick to develop. Also, have they expressed any interest in Harris or is that the player mtl can most afford to move?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad