Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 19th and 31st overall picks

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Some options for the last spot are Isaac Okoro or Tyus Jones as straight signings, trade pick(s) for someone (have a trade exception to cover 6-10M) or trade a player plus and take back a bigger salary (like Boucher and Agbaji for someone who makes more than both then sign someone to a min or close deal).
Lots of speculation they are waiting for Koloko to get medically cleared. He spent time with the team in Vegas during Summer League.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
The roster still lacks scoring talent and has no half court offensive catalyst. Team has to tank.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
surprised no one has started talking about Canada basketball at the olympics. This is a super intriguing tournament and Canada has a good team (first time ever).

It's actually pretty crazy how in my entire life up till now it was a struggle to get the best Canadian
players to actually want to play for the national team.

First game was a pretty good win against GIannis and now we have Australia. should win that one as well i would think.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
surprised no one has started talking about Canada basketball at the olympics. This is a super intriguing tournament and Canada has a good team (first time ever).

It's actually pretty crazy how in my entire life up till now it was a struggle to get the best Canadian

First game was a pretty good win against GIannis and now we have Australia. should win that one as well i would think.
I saw a pre-tourney power rankings that had Canada 3rd. This roster is capable of getting a medal.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I didn't watch today's game but the Greece game was good.

Really hoping they get a medal.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
FIFA basketball is so much more enjoyable at times. The refs allow physicality, more of a team game and the shorter duration of games really makes every possession a little more important. Canada off to a strong start and should be into the quarter finals already.

Brooks please stop trying to create your own shot, minus that.. liking the team play. I predict Murray goes bananas here shortly in the next game or so.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Still hoping we see a sign and trade around Isaac Okoro and Bruce Brown.

A Quickley - Okoro - Barrett - Barnes - Poetl starting 5 would be pretty good.

Having guys like: Mitchell, Dick, Agbaji, Boucher, Olynyk for main rotation with Shead, Mogbo, and Walter also there would add to the depth. That leaves Temple and an open spot which likely becomes Koloko when he is cleared.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
If you want to build a mediocre team, you get Okoro type players. Or if you want a higher upside ream, you secure a high '25 1st round pick. Choose wisely. Fans should never be concerned with some playoff revenues.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
If you want to build a mediocre team, you get Okoro type players. Or if you want a higher upside ream, you secure a high '25 1st round pick. Choose wisely. Fans should never be concerned with some playoff revenues.
I'm not sure that this team gets a high 1st rounder with the personnel that they have.

Even with starting Brown/Agbaji/Dick as the 5th guy, this team would fight for a play-in spot. Okoro seems like the kind of guy whose age and fit might make him a nice piece of starting 5 (and I'm not offering 1sts in any sign and trade).

Reactions: aingefan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure that this team gets a high 1st rounder with the personnel that they have.

Even with starting Brown/Agbaji/Dick as the 5th guy, this team would fight for a play-in spot. Okoro seems like the kind of guy whose age and fit might make him a nice piece of starting 5 (and I'm not offering 1sts in any sign and trade).

They were around .500 till Barnes and Jakob got injured. This is not a bottom feeder at the moment. I agree with you

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004

Not interested in the play in and if the GM is smart, they avoid it at all costs.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Not interested in the play in and if the GM is smart, they avoid it at all costs.
I don't think you understand.

This team is a play-in candidate if they DON'T add.

If they add someone to their starting 5, they are better than that. If a guy like Okoro can compliment Barrett and Barnes, then this team should be top 6 in the East.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I don't think you understand.

This team is a play-in candidate if they DON'T add.

If they add someone to their starting 5, they are better than that. If a guy like Okoro can compliment Barrett and Barnes, then this team should be top 6 in the East.
I understand the team needs to aspire towards top in the 4 East, not play in or 1st round exits. To achieve that you need to get a high 1st round pick in 2025 draft to increase your chances. Otherwise you may condemn this team to a 1st round exit type team throughout Scottie's duration here. And, you're not operating in a bubble here, other teams will improve.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I understand the team needs to aspire towards top in the 4 East, not play in or 1st round exits. To achieve that you need to get a high 1st round pick in 2025 draft to increase your chances. Otherwise you may condemn this team to a 1st round exit type team throughout Scottie's duration here. And, you're not operating in a bubble here, other teams will improve.
Okay, and how do you propose to get a high 1st?

This team is too good to finish that low without major injuries.

Also, I think you are selling RJ Barrett short here. He played like the lottery pick he was as a Raptor. Give him a full season with Scottie and they will be a solid 1/2.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Okay, and how do you propose to get a high 1st?

This team is too good to finish that low without major injuries.

Also, I think you are selling RJ Barrett short here. He played like the lottery pick he was as a Raptor. Give him a full season with Scottie and they will be a solid 1/2.
Dump Poeltl. Dump Brown. Play the youth a lot, they make mistakes. Rest players. If you don't get top 5 pick, get in 6-8 range. It would be a massive mistake to pick 11-14.

Reactions: thewave

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Dump Poeltl. Dump Brown. Play the youth a lot, they make mistakes. Rest players. If you don't get top 5 pick, get in 6-8 range. It would be a massive mistake to pick 11-14.
That's not how basketball works.

To start with, some of that is expressly forbidden by the NBA (resting players for no reason). Poetl is arguably underpaid for what he brings, so they definitely could trade him if they wanted (but he's also the 4th or 5th offensive option who does the dirty work defensively). Brown should be moved at some point, where the only question is when and for what.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
That's not how basketball works.

To start with, some of that is expressly forbidden by the NBA (resting players for no reason). Poetl is arguably underpaid for what he brings, so they definitely could trade him if they wanted (but he's also the 4th or 5th offensive option who does the dirty work defensively). Brown should be moved at some point, where the only question is when and for what.
Calf contusion, stretch it out for 2 weeks instead of 3 days. Its easy. Thats how the real world operates. Manipulation of the rules.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Raps are going to be competitive but near bottom of standings IMO.... unless Barnes comes this year on a different level, Barrett and Quickley take another step which is all possible. Just think they need their top 3 or 4 guys to really over achieve to be a playoff team, and that's with full health.

I don't think actively tanking is the right direction.. San Antonio got Webmayana (sp) but they weren't guaranteed him and they had a historic run of success so it is , what it is.

Raptors have some solid pieces, a lot of question marks on the bench and how guys will develop over the next few years but it's likely a path forward is a combination of :

Developing the young core guys.

Looking for opportunity in the trade market to bring on an all-star level guy who needs a change of scenery.

Cap flexibility and keeping draft assets and hoping to find a hidden gem.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
They were around .500 till Barnes and Jakob got injured. This is not a bottom feeder at the moment. I agree with you
Agree with you and @Bjindaho
Too much talent on board to not flirt with the playoffs/playin if everyone is healthy.
@DuklaNation corcern that they’re a treadmill team if they don’t get another young core piece is fair, too.
It’s a legit fork in the road, but the teams not gonna just throw away the year. They have kids to develop in house, so I’m sure they’re planning on developing like they did prior to the championship year and push towards being more competitive that way.
If something unlucky or unfortunate or two happens - like say bad injuries - then the team should be prepared to pivot quick and not lean on false hopes. Then you can move off the vets and fire sale to maximize pick odds.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Agree with you and @Bjindaho
Too much talent on board to not flirt with the playoffs/playin if everyone is healthy.
@DuklaNation corcern that they’re a treadmill team if they don’t get another young core piece is fair, too.
It’s a legit fork in the road, but the teams not gonna just throw away the year. They have kids to develop in house, so I’m sure they’re planning on developing like they did prior to the championship year and push towards being more competitive that way.
If something unlucky or unfortunate or two happens - like say bad injuries - then the team should be prepared to pivot quick and not lean on false hopes. Then you can move off the vets and fire sale to maximize pick odds.
And this is why I believe that you go after that other piece now if possible using Brown as part of the package.

I dont see a way to get a high 1st, but getting a 23ish year-old about to break out might be doable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad