Raptors Discussion: v48|#WeTheNorth| Keep on keepin' on -or- No DeMar, no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Don't you think they would want a young roster player who will at least have the potential to develop into a 6th man like Ross?

Ross + Hayes + 1st + 2nd is what I'd offer. Denver would probably get more from someone else, though. Only real spot of worry would then become getting another rim protector, either a starting PF to push Amir to the bench (him and PatPat can be on the second unit together given Casey's small ball love) or a backup C. I'd rather go with the former since that backup C probably won't get due to minutes because of, you guessed it, Casey's love for small ball.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Don't you think they would want a young roster player who will at least have the potential to develop into a 6th man like Ross?

Based on what exactly? Corey Brewer cost two 2nd's and Jeff Green cost a first. If the Raptors traded T-Ross more would need to come back from Denver because of his age, potential and rookie scale deal.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Based on what exactly? Corey Brewer cost two 2nd's and Jeff Green cost a first. If the Raptors traded T-Ross more would need to come back from Denver because of his age, potential and rookie scale deal.

Well in that case, what else can Denver add to give us some punch for a deep playoff run by including Ross?

Scion

May 25, 2012
Well in that case, what else can Denver add to give us some punch for a deep playoff run by including Ross?

This team isn't ready for a long run this year so it would be counter-productive to strip valuable young assets and future cap space for present day help. The only reason I mentioned Chandler, aside from fit is that he is likely cheap to acquire, inexpensive contractually and young enough to play a role moving forward.

Shwaguy*

Here's hoping Wiggins takes his QO with the Wolves lol.

From a business standpoint it'd be ridiculous for him to do.

But from a patriotic standpoint he must do it!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Game Day: Raptors vs. Sixers
rapsvs76ers-web_0.jpg

Jay Satur - Raptors.com

Coming off a frustrating loss to the Pistons, the Raptors aim to level their six-game homestand at 2-2 with a win tonight against the Philadelphia 76ers at Air Canada Centre (7:30 PM ET, TSN, Sportsnet 590 The FAN)
Projected Starting Lineups

Raptors: Kyle Lowry (G), Terrence Ross (F), James Johnson (F), Amir Johnson (F), Jonas Valanciunas (C)
raptors_starters4.jpg

Sixers: Michael Carter-Williams (G), K.J. McDaniels (G), Luc Mbah A Moute (F), Robert Covington (F), Nerlens Noel (C)
sixers_collage_0.jpg

Injury/Roster Report

Raptors: DeMar DeRozan - torn left adductor longus tendon (out)

Sixers: Hollis Thompson - upper respiratory infection (probable), Joel Embiid - right foot injury (out), Jason Richardson - left knee injury (out), Andrei Kirilenko - not with team

NEED TO KNOW

Toronto catches a bit of a break with Philadelphia having a Tuesday night game at home against the East-leading Atlanta Hawks, this after beating Indiana and Brooklyn . . . The Sixers went into Tuesday’s game having won two straight and have been more successful on the road (5-14) than at home (2-15) . . . Robert Covington is one of six players with at least 20 games played who averages more than two three-pointers a game while shooting better than 40 per cent from beyond the arc . . . Sixers backup Tony Wroten has scored 20 points or more in six of nine games before Tuesday.

Shwaguy*

Game Day: Raptors vs. Sixers
rapsvs76ers-web_0.jpg

Jay Satur - Raptors.com

Coming off a frustrating loss to the Pistons, the Raptors aim to level their six-game homestand at 2-2 with a win tonight against the Philadelphia 76ers at Air Canada Centre (7:30 PM ET, TSN, Sportsnet 590 The FAN)
Projected Starting Lineups

Raptors: Kyle Lowry (G), Terrence Ross (F), James Johnson (F), Amir Johnson (F), Jonas Valanciunas (C)
raptors_starters4.jpg

Sixers: Michael Carter-Williams (G), K.J. McDaniels (G), Luc Mbah A Moute (F), Robert Covington (F), Nerlens Noel (C)
sixers_collage_0.jpg

Injury/Roster Report

Raptors: DeMar DeRozan - torn left adductor longus tendon (out)

Sixers: Hollis Thompson - upper respiratory infection (probable), Joel Embiid - right foot injury (out), Jason Richardson - left knee injury (out), Andrei Kirilenko - not with team

NEED TO KNOW

Toronto catches a bit of a break with Philadelphia having a Tuesday night game at home against the East-leading Atlanta Hawks, this after beating Indiana and Brooklyn . . . The Sixers went into Tuesday’s game having won two straight and have been more successful on the road (5-14) than at home (2-15) . . . Robert Covington is one of six players with at least 20 games played who averages more than two three-pointers a game while shooting better than 40 per cent from beyond the arc . . . Sixers backup Tony Wroten has scored 20 points or more in six of nine games before Tuesday.

DeMar is back tonight or Friday so I wouldn't say he is "out" More like probable

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm not sure about these proposed trades but for discussion, there are a few players that may help.

Toronto Raptors' 2015 Trade Deadline Shopping List

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ping-list?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

1) Backup Center

Potential Targets

Zaza Pachulia, Milwaukee Bucks
Jeff Withey, New Orleans Pelicans
Henry Sims, Philadelphia 76ers

Trade Suggestions

Zaza Pachulia for Tyler Hansbrough, Greg Stiemsma and a future second round pick
Jeff Withey for a future second round pick
Henry Sims for a future second round pick

2) Upgrade at Power Forward

Potential Targets

Taj Gibson, Chicago Bulls
David West, Indiana Pacers
Brandon Bass, Boston Celtics

Trade Suggestions

Taj Gibson and Mike Dunleavy for Terrence Ross, Chuck Hayes, Amir Johnson and a first-round pick
David West for Amir Johnson and Landry Fields
Brandon Bass for Chuck Hayes and a second-round pick

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure about these proposed trades but for discussion, there are a few players that may help.

Toronto Raptors' 2015 Trade Deadline Shopping List

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ping-list?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

I think we have to orchestrate a deal that keeps both Amir and TRoss in the fold.

Amir in particular, the Defense he brings is still the best on the team by far, even on one ankle.

We're essentially trying to upgrade the Hansbrough spot, not Amir's. Ideally you can use Hansbrough and Fields plus picks to bring in a starting calibre PF to shift Amir to the bench, and if you can't, a pf/c backup that gives you more than Hansbrough/Chuck

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think we have to orchestrate a deal that keeps both Amir and TRoss in the fold.

Amir in particular, the Defense he brings is still the best on the team by far, even on one ankle.

We're essentially trying to upgrade the Hansbrough spot, not Amir's. Ideally you can use Hansbrough and Fields plus picks to bring in a starting calibre PF to shift Amir to the bench, and if you can't, a pf/c backup that gives you more than Hansbrough/Chuck

I tend to agree with that assessment, Ross was money in the bank shooting 3's but has tailed off a bit, he has a good upside and could turn into a good starter.

Amir is one of my favorite players and has been as you say a our best defender and we need defense.

I wouldn't mind picking up Bass but I'm not sure we could get him for Hansbrough and a 2nd pick...Re:

Report: Celtics’ Brandon Bass Drawing No Serious Trade Offers

http://nesn.com/2015/01/report-celtics-brandon-bass-drawing-no-serious-trade-offers/

That’s because Brandon Bass, the veteran forward who seems like a natural to be the next to go in the Celtics’ garage sale, “has yet to attract any serious offers,†Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald reports, citing sources. Ainge, the Celtics’ president of basketball operations, has found “some interest†in Bass from other teams, Bulpett writes, but not enough to motivate Ainge to make a deal.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
What would the cost be?

hard to say but shouldn't be very much. He's kinda flopped in Denver so it shouldn't be that much all things considered. He's not the same player he was a few seasons ago. If the Raps don't want to spend a lot they should look at Bass

Your solution to improve the d is to trade the Raps best defensive player? Furthermore, the D slippage began before DD got hurt, so simply inserting him into the lineup isn't going to fix the defense or prevent the regression we have seen from Ross on the defensive side of the floor. It further presupposes that Demar is going to come back 100%, in my experiences with groin tears that is seldom the case.

Amir is a fan fav, he's all heart but he's regressing because of his ankles. He can be a good defensive pf but his mobility just doesn't let him be one consistently. If Toronto added a Gibson then we would realy see what this team was made of. Hell you may not even have to add Amir into that deal.

I also commented on Ross struggling with his upgraded offensive roll since Demar went down. With Demar's return you would expect Ross to slot back into his old roll quite nicely. Thus offering the Raps better D from the 3 spot.

Demar is a hard task defensively for opposing defenses. Regardless on what you may think of him. Having him on the floor gives the offense more options and is the main reason the offense was so efficient early on. He attracts so much of the defensive focus on the offensive side of the floor it leaves guys like Kyle, Ross open for the kickouts.

Now I am not saying he's an elite player but he's definatly a all star quality player that's on the verge of making that next step. You say that they started Struggling before Demar went down, I don't think so, just because they wern't blowing teams out like earlier they were still finding ways to win in those grind it out games.

And to be honest those games are the kind you want to see your team win. It gives them the confidence that they can do it in those kind of situations. It's almost like people expected them to go 82 - 0. And furthermore Adding a legit starting PF would do this team wonders. You think they are good now, wait see what they would become with a legit starting PF.

Hell you don't even have to trade Amir. Fields + Chuck + 1st maybe + Caboclo may be enough depending on who they wen't after, hell with the two expiring contracts in Fields and Chuck that could be enough with out Caboclo. Then slot Amir to backup Val.

They do have the pieces to land someone legit.

1: Greg Monroe - Greg is a natural center and has said he would prefer to go back to that spot but a front court of Greg and Val is extremely enticing. He's on a 1 year deal and most likely will leave the Pistons at the end of the season. From a Raptors standpoint I would be weary of what I offer for him.

And I guess it depends on what the Pistons are looking for? Cap space? Futures or someone to step in and contribute now? Greg is still young and at one point was considered the future of the pistons franchise. He's been misused in Detroit and with a guard dominate back court and a young center in Toronto who doesn't get enough touches Monroe could find himself in a similar situation as Detroit.

2: Taj Gibson - is coming off the bench and doesn't deserve to. But with the way Pow is playing how can they start Taj? He's been brought up in trade talks with the Raps a few timed this season by Bleacher and SBnation to name a few. A great defensive PF who does everything well and would slot right in with the hard nosed, attitude the Raps play

These are two guys who I can think of off the top of my head who could potentially be moved. Monroe will or at least should if Pistons management doesn't let the ball slip again. Gibson is on a pretty dangerous Bulls team but want's a bigger roll has already been mentioned to Toronto a few times this year and imo is a realistic target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad