Laval Rocket: Utica Comets at Laval Rocket 7PM

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Laval started strong but Utica was the better team in the last two periods
While it was probably one Laval's weaker games this early season I thought most of Montreal's prospects played well.

It was a game that was marred by an injury to Mesar and a serious injury to a Utica player.

As always, I will restrict my comments to those players that are true prospects.

I thought it was Davidson's best game so far as he showed speed, physicality, vision, defensive responsibility, an effective forecheck and a high compete level. Davidson has always played a pro-style, heavy game, but tonight, he showed that he may be able to contribute offensively at the next level. Davidson was one of Laval's better players.

Roy had what I think will be a predictable game going forward: largely invisible until the puck is on his stick. Roy was less energetic tonight and wasn't moving as well as he has been in the last two games. Roy's limitations were clearly seen in the second period when he was sprung on what could (should) have been a clear break but was easily caught by an opposing player. However, in the offensive zone, where he was largely stationary, Roy was able to display his excellent hand skills and offensive IQ and made numerous skillful plays that few of his teammates could complete successfully. His one timer of a pass from Beck that scored was an impressive display of Roy's elite talents. It remains to be seen whether Roy will be able to perform such magic at the next level where he will have less time and space to make those plays.

The entire 4th line of Florian Xhekaj, Tuch and Kidney, had their best game collectively to date. This line produced as many scoring chances as any of the other three lines. Much of their success, including the only goal that they scored, came as a result of their strong forecheck. It was clearly Florian's best game as you can see the confidence in him grow (almost every shift) as he realized that he can skate and play against this superior level of competition. Florian, who plays center on this line, was strong on the face-offs, displayed strong straight-forward speed, good offensive vision/playmaking and a NHL level shot that he used to score his first AHL goal. With his size, long stick, speed and mobility, Florian covers a lot of ice. He's noticeable. He's involved. He back checks like a fiend. This kid has NHL written all over him and if he's able to find/develop that missing element of quickness, Florian will be an impactful player for the Canadiens in the near future.

Other than his subtle pass that ultimately lead to Florian's goal, Tuch was largely ineffective offensively. Tuch skated well in both zones, particularly on the back check, and is probably our best skating prospect (along with Beck) in Laval. He's big. He's fast. He play's hard every shift. On that alone he'll make the Canadiens. But he doesn't project as a major offensive contributor in the NHL. Or at least not yet.

Similar to Davidson, Kidney is showing greater confidence each game. I thought Kidney played a good game tonight. He was able to keep with his line mates, played hard along the boards, forechecked enthusiastically, had several scoring chances and made the play that led to Florian's goal. If Kidney doesn't make the NHL, it won't be because of a lack of effort.

Beck had a modest but effective game tonight. He showed his explosive skating tonight on several occasions and made a number of subtle passes that led to prime scoring chances including the pass that Roy was able to one-time into the back of the Utica net. One my favorite moments of the game was watching Beck and Tuch rush up the ice together at a great speed. It looked like a drag race. It's something that we should be enjoying often in the future. This kid is going to be a main player for Montreal for the next decade.

On defence, Engstrom had a quiet, but efficient game. He's a superior player who seems to be able to just flip a switch that will allow him to skate away from opposing players at will. There's no question in my mind, if the Canadiens continue to struggle, Engstrom will be the first player to be called up. He's too good for the AHL.

On the other hand, Trudeau had a much more noticeable game displaying his NHL level of skating in both his defensive zone and in the offensive zones. Probably his best play, and probably the best play in the game, was Trudeau's successful efforts in breaking up a threatening 2 on 0 chance against Laval in the second period. The great skating and effort that Trudeau displayed on that play showed that this kid has a future in the NHL. It was an impressive play.

Just my quick thoughts

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
While it was probably one Laval's weaker games this early season I thought most of Montreal's prospects played well.

It was a game that was marred by an injury to Mesar and a serious injury to a Utica player.

As always, I will restrict my comments to those players that are true prospects.

I thought it was Davidson's best game so far as he showed speed, physicality, vision, defensive responsibility, an effective forecheck and a high compete level. Davidson has always played a pro-style, heavy game, but tonight, he showed that he may be able to contribute offensively at the next level. Davidson was one of Laval's better players.

Roy had what I think will be a predictable game going forward: largely invisible until the puck is on his stick. Roy was less energetic tonight and wasn't moving as well as he has been in the last two games. Roy's limitations were clearly seen in the second period when he was sprung on what could (should) have been a clear break but was easily caught by an opposing player. However, in the offensive zone, where was largely stationary, Roy was able to display his excellent hand skills and offensive IQ and made numerous skillful plays that few of his teammates could complete successfully. His one timer of a pass from Beck that scored was an impressive display of Roy's elite talents. It remains to be seen whether Roy will be able to perform such magic at the next level where he will have less time and space to make those plays.

The entire 4th line of Florian Xhekaj, Tuch and Kidney, had their best game collectively to date. This line produced as many scoring chances as any of the other three lines. Much of their success, including the only goal that they scored, came as a result of their strong forecheck. It was clearly Florian's best game as you can see the confidence in him grow (almost every shift) as he realized that he can skate and play against this superior level of competition. Florian, who plays center on this line, was strong on the face-offs, displayed strong straight-forward speed, good offensive vision/playmaking and a NHL level shot that he used to score his first AHL goal. With his size, long stick, speed and mobility, Florian covers a lot of ice. He's noticeable. He's involved. He back checks like a fiend. This kid has NHL written all over him and if he's able to find/develop that missing element of quickness, Florian will be an impactful player for the Canadiens in the near future.

Other than his subtle pass that ultimately lead to Florian's goal, Tuch was largely ineffective offensively. Tuch skated well in both zones, particularly on the back check, and is probably our best skating prospect (along with Beck) in Laval. He's big. He's fast. He play's hard every shift. On that alone he'll make the Canadiens. But he doesn't project as a major offensive contributor in the NHL. Or at least not yet.

Similar to Davidson, Kidney is showing greater confidence each game. I thought Kidney played a good game tonight. He was able to keep with his line mates, played hard along the boards, forechecked enthusiastically, had several scoring chances and made the play that led to Florian's goal. If Kidney doesn't make the NHL, it won't be because of a lack of effort.

Beck had a modest but effective game tonight. He showed his explosive skating tonight on several occasions and made a number of subtle passes that led to prime scoring chances including the pass that Roy was able to one-time into the back of the Utica net. One my favorite moments of the game was watching Beck and Tuch rush up the ice together at a great speed. It looked like a drag race. It's something that we should be enjoying often in the future. This kid is going to be main player for Montreal for the next player.

On defence, Engstrom had a quiet, but efficient game. He's a superior player who seems to be able to just flip a switch that will allow him to skate away from opposing players at will. There's no question in my mind, if the Canadiens continue to struggle, Engstrom will be the first player to be called up. He's too good for the AHL.

On the other hand, Trudeau had a much more noticeable game displaying his NHL level of skating in both his defensive zone and in the offensive zones. Probably his best play, and probably the best play in the game, was Trudeau's efforts in breaking up a threatening 2 on 0 chance against Laval in the second period. The great skating and effort that Trudeau displayed on that play showed that this kid has a future in the NHL. It was an impressive play.

Just my quick thoughts
I watched the game and you are on point.

The prospects are developing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad