Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
SEG would have to buy them.... and no.... the AHL is set at 32.... since Tucson is Utah's affiliate.....

Understood. I’m speaking way long-term. Maverick Center is a good home for a hockey team and if you are gonna have another local team it would eventually make fiscal sense to have it serve the NHL club. Calgary, Winnipeg, San Jose, etc.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Nah Smith doesn't have the slightest clue. The arena demanded that Utah be part of the name. He's running a poll that leans heavily towards Avalanche IP and the typical ice themed names. The names sound like they came from people who have never watched a hockey game in their life.

What major pro sport names a team after another sport? Black Diamonds? Powder? It's completely ridiculous.

Smith owns the arena.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Understood. I’m speaking way long-term. Maverick Center is a good home for a hockey team and if you are gonna have another local team it would eventually make fiscal sense to have it serve the NHL club. Calgary, Winnipeg, San Jose, etc.
nope, not even long-term.... it's not the same ownership.... and 2) wouldn't that have been part of the transfer agreement if SEG was buying all of the franchise, which it didn't..... AM bought the affiliate in 2014... team was transferred to Tucson in 2015.... and just completed its 8th season in Tucson... this isn't the Avalanche where they bought the Eagles.... which is why the Grizzlies are their affiliate now.

3) West Valley City isn't SLC....

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I heard they made the strategic mistake of hiring the same sweater shop as the PWHL, who've been waiting for their 6 teams' custom jerseys since last fall. Utah may have to go generic longer than one season. 🗓️
If that’s the case, that’s brutal. The league should step in and set a deadline for a team name and jersey. I can just see it now, halfway through training camp Utah management tells the players “uh, you guys go out and buy a jersey before first game. Let’s all get some shade of blue maybe? Yeah blue’s good.”

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
When San Jose Sharks joined the league top 15 names for the team were (in alphabetical order):

• Blades
  • Breakers
  • Breeze
  • Condors
  • Fog
  • Gold
  • Golden Gaters
  • Golden Skaters
  • Grizzlies
  • Icebreakers
  • Knights
  • Redwoods
  • Sea Lions
  • Sharks
  • Waves

Even though it was 90s back then, I think most of those names would seem ok today.

Rubber Puckies was on the list too. Dead serious.

• Wow
Reactions: QuizGuy66

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
What problematic, offensive name are you rooting for?

It might be a shitty list but not once did I think to myself “hey this list sucks because it is completely lacking in stereotypical tropes”.
Weird way of twisting my words but whatever. I said it was generic as f***, as in these purposuflly are using the most bland names that have no chance of being offensive 40 years from now. so saying that I would be rooting for an offensive name now, is incorrect, because even if I was doing that, it would not be something offensive now, but at a later date.

Im happy i can clear that up for you :)

Reactions: Northerner

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
The Utah Unicorn

Weird way of twisting my words but whatever. I said it was generic as f***, as in these purposuflly are using the most bland names that have no chance of being offensive 40 years from now. so saying that I would be rooting for an offensive name now, is incorrect, because even if I was doing that, it would not be something offensive now, but at a later date.

Im happy i can clear that up for you :)

Attachments

• unicorn.jpg
    unicorn.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
I am hearing a lot of enthusiasm for a bee - centric team identity. How about:

The U-Tang Clan Killa Beez

in honor of the classic 1998 Wu Tang album "The Swarm"

that's Beez with a z ( brand synergy with Utah Jazz)

Swarmwu.jpg

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
Someone suggested Utah Pronghorns and I like that much more than anything on this list. Fastest animal in North America, distinctive horn shape for logos, native to the state, etc.
Pronghorns is actually pretty good IMO.

Staying with the bees theme you could call them the Stingers. A friend of mine who is into fishing suggested Cutthroats.

The only one in the poll that doesn't suck is Outlaws.

Caribou, really? There are none in Utah. Glaciers? According to wiki there is 1 glacier in Utah that is less than 0.1 square km, lol. So it would have to be the Glacier. And Mountaineers? Utah doesn't even have a 14er.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Having "Powder" as a choice feels like a trap for trolls, and if it wins they can say "Well we tried to give the fans input, but we're gonna go in another direction" and Ryan Smith can name it whatever he feels like.

Reactions: JMCx4

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
I'm very passionate about a particular vision for a team called the Utah Rogues, and one thing may have led to another, soooo.... well, here:

utah_rogues_cust.png

(Home and Road would be switched in the real NHL, that's just a me thing :laugh:)

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
When San Jose Sharks joined the league top 15 names for the team were (in alphabetical order):

• Blades
  • Breakers
  • Breeze
  • Condors
  • Fog
  • Gold
  • Golden Gaters
  • Golden Skaters
  • Grizzlies
  • Icebreakers
  • Knights
  • Redwoods
  • Sea Lions
  • Sharks
  • Waves

Even though it was 90s back then, I think most of those names would seem ok today.

Really? They all seem terrible to me

San Jose Waves? San Jose Fog? Come on now, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad