Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah I don't get it either. With so many less trademarks and copyrights at the time they could have picked anything they wanted
The story as I understand it goes something like this… the guy that moved the Jazz from New Orleans to Utah didn’t want to eat the cost of all “Jazz” merch he already had. Changing the name, colors and brand was expensive, and he just decided to keep the brand the same.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Utah Frost does it for me.

I was expecting much worst lol
Then they make their first trade...

20240110_Flyers-vs-Canadiens-1551.jpg

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I like the bee names because there is a lot possibilities from a jersey Design perspective. Venom is great as well.

Major credit to Black Diamonds. I actually think it might be the best because of the out of the box thinking and a jersey could be pretty sweet.

Reactions: orby and Puckrobber

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t think Ryan Smith is going to let fans have final say on a name - this is just being “not a doofus 101 when I buy a team - let the public feel involved in the process”.

Smith actually seems keenly aware of perception and branding.

- He wasted no time in establishing this team was gonna be “Utah” - not Salt Lake City. Much of the population of the area sprawls well out of the confines of the Salt Lake Valley. It’s also a smaller market. You need to be as inclusive as possible with the locale naming.

- He immediately established a very well attended and publicized welcoming to the players and franchise. Smart PR move especially after the disastrous PR ownership proceeding it.

- He immediately established that naming and branding would not be done by next season. This eliminates the need to rush things and sets expectations. This doesn’t guarantee everybody is gonna love the final brand but it does give ample time to developing it in a professional and well thought-out manner.

Of the proposed names…

- Ryan Smith is an NBA owner first and foremost. The world he comes from has a team that completely owns and plays up the Raptors brand. He’s not gonna copy it for his NHL team. It’s a bad look.

- The team in the state right next door in his division has a brand that has:

A primary logo with a mountain peak and snowy/winter imagery.

A secondary logo of a Bigfoot/Yeti foot.

A mascot that is literally a Bigfoot/Yeti.

Jerseys that literally have mountain peaks designed into the hemline.

I really don’t think at the end of the day that Ryan Smith is gonna want his cool new team riffing so hard with an existing team right in his backyard. He doesn’t strike me as that kind of entrepreneur. I think he’s going to want a brand that stands out as original and marketable in a different way.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don’t think Ryan Smith is going to let fans have final say on a name - this is just being “not a doofus 101 when I buy a team - let the public feel involved in the process”.

Smith actually seems keenly aware of perception and branding.

- He wasted no time in establishing this team was gonna be “Utah” - not Salt Lake City. Much of the population of the area sprawls well out of the confines of the Salt Lake Valley. It’s also a smaller market. You need to be as inclusive as possible with the locale naming.
Utah is also much quicker and easier to say.

Reactions: BKarchitect

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota can then change their name to the Packers
That's so not happening.

Minnesota Massacre has a certain modern, video game appeal going for it, as well as alliteration, but what really needs to happen is for them to get the North Stars name back. Everyone in Minnesota would go for that, young and old, while Utah is busy going "Wild". What a dumb name.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
The story as I understand it goes something like this… the guy that moved the Jazz from New Orleans to Utah didn’t want to eat the cost of all “Jazz” merch he already had. Changing the name, colors and brand was expensive, and he just decided to keep the brand the same.

They also moved way late - June 8th that year

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad