Utah Team Name - Part Two

Which team name is best

• Total voters

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Considering the dark history of certain outlaws in Utah, I'm not so sure naming them the Outlaws would be a great idea lol.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I was thinking Crusaders but someone pointed out that was a Christian Catholic thing so that went out...Fighting Saints would have been great too but again a Religious thing...Stingers would have been great too but I guess Ryan Smith wants same colours as the Jazz...at this point I could less if the team called themselves the flying Delta's or the Northern 'Yotes or Carnivore's or how about Uncle Buttcrack Bettman's pet project 2.0
Yeah I wish the Saints had been left in the mix. It fits on so many levels, along with another "New Orleans pro team" appropriation to go with the Jazz.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Then just do a outlaw riding on a mammoth :D
image-w1280.jpg

Dinosaur Barbarians!

• Haha
Reactions: yzerman

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I can't believe a professional organization can't even pick a name. It's embarrassing.

Ive said a million times that I think the Utah Phoenix is the best choice. Phoenix is a nodd to the team originally being in PHX Arizona, and a firebird makes a crazy good logo.

But at this point they just need to pick anything. Yeti, Outlaws, HC, Bulldogs, Blades, Bozos. Who really cares. This league has predators, golden knights, and wild. It's not like you can get it wrong when those abomination are getting by. Just pick something already.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just like Washington Football Team was way better than Washington Commanders. Utah HC will be better than whatever happens later. I really like the old school feel to it. Would I want a bunch of teams following in Utah’s footsteps like in euro soccer? No. But I think it’s a cool unique thing to North American sports and they should lean into it.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Yeti…are we talking the creature from the Himalayas in Asia or the camping cooler brand? It’s not a yeti in North America. As known from the numerous cryptid tv shows it’s Sasquatch or Bigfoot so call the team that. That’s why the name choice is a head scratcher to me.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Just like Washington Football Team was way better than Washington Commanders. Utah HC will be better than whatever happens later. I really like the old school feel to it. Would I want a bunch of teams following in Utah’s footsteps like in euro soccer? No. But I think it’s a cool unique thing to North American sports and they should lean into it.
As a Redskins/Commanders fan, Washington Football Team was awful. I'm happy to say that I don't need to answer the question, "What's your favorite football team" with "The Football Team".

I selected Mammoth because it doesn't remind me of anything else. Blizzard reminds me of Dairy Queen, Outlaws reminds me of a motorcycle gang, Venom reminds me of Spider-Man 3 (which is not a good memory), and Yeti reminds me of the cup I use to keep my drink cool on a hot summer day.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeti…are we talking the creature from the Himalayas in Asia or the camping cooler brand? It’s not a yeti in North America. As known from the numerous cryptid tv shows it’s Sasquatch or Bigfoot so call the team that. That’s why the name choice is a head scratcher to me.

I feel like we're too hung up recently on names needing to be local-specific. Sometimes a name just works because it sounds good.

After all, how many Lions and Tigers are in Detroit or Cincinnati (Bengals) outside of a zoo, for instance? Or Bears in Chicago and Boston (Bruins)? Knights in Las Vegas or royalty in LA or Sacramento (KC Royals are named after a rodeo)?

Utah Yeti is unique in sports, rolls off the tongue, can be branded in any number of ways logo- and color-wise, and makes for an easy chant. Sure, kind of goofy, but we're all used to baseball teams named after footwear, a football team named after a surname/color, a hockey team named after foliage (actually named after a pre-Great War baseball team named after foliage, WWI claims otherwise), and basketball team names that stopped making sense after relocation. Even Yeti haters will get used to that.

Heck... we're used to the Wild as a team name. Imagine that being unveiled in the Twitter age.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Mammoths lived in what is today the state of Utah, approximately 10 500 years ago. They have a proven connection to the location, rather than a mythical Himalayan creature…although a one on one match with a yeti mascot and the former Avalanche mascot might have been entertaining.

Reactions: Heldig

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Except the Washington Football Team isn't better than the Commanders, it's terrible.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Mammoths lived in what is today the state of Utah, approximately 10 500 years ago. They have a proven connection to the location, rather than a mythical Himalayan creature…although a one on one match with a yeti mascot and the former Avalanche mascot might have been entertaining.
Utah Mammoth is my preference.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta