Utah Hockey Club announces reduced concession prices for popular items

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

View attachment 911020

Is there a X 4-5 in small spring somewhere?

$2 for Dasani is still outrageous.

That shit is gross.

NO JOKE! Have had plenty of different bottled waters and Dasani is far and way in its own league of GROSS!

Meanwhile in Edmonton

Oilers-consessions.jpg

This makes me want to cry and rage all in one!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
"I'll even give you the first hit for free ..."

It's hilarious too that a $1 to make hot dog for $3 is today considered a bargain. I'm sure in 1-2 years they'll be up to like $6-$7+.

In a few years? You have definitely not been to a Canadian theatre. That style hot dog is that easily already.

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
At CBJ you can get choice of dog/burger/tenders with a soda, chips and ticket to the game for $30.
I get a kids meal, dog, chips, and soda for $5, sneak in booze to mix in with the drink.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Vancouver has a Costco food court right across the street from Rogers Arena

1728512341069.png

You don't even need to go inside the Costco to get to that food court

• Wow
Reactions: kevistar

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Not sure why more arena concessions don't follow this. There is argument to be made that concessions would be almost as profitable by reducing cost while increasing sales. Selling two pops as a dollar profit is just as good as selling one pop at two dollars profit.

You really think they don’t have people finding the proper price point for maximum profit? Because they do.

Arena concessions are a prime monopoly example. Especially when the concession company itself is fully owned by both a team and venue owner (Jacobs family in Boston). The price points will be astronomical with the exception of some sort of promotional period like Utah is doing.

No established team that packs the arena every night is slashing their concession prices.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Prices will go down when consumers stop paying.

We complain about it but the lineups are still long with people wilfully bending over... even at the movie theater.

My parents were really into teaching me the value of honesty from very young. It was necessary in all facets of life.

The single exception was the movie theater where we were encouraged to load up on candy at the convenience store next door and load our pockets.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Meanwhile in Edmonton

Oilers-consessions.jpg
I can't believe people actually pay that. I thought I saw a post online last season from someone in Edmonton that they bought fries at a game for like 8 dollars and it only had like 8 fries, unless that was a joke. I could be remembering wrong but it wasn't something ridiculous like that.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Reactions: Cup or Bust

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
That is ridiculous! The Lays chips are a dollar a bag at Dollarama, and fountain pop averages 30-50 cents per serving for the seller.

I have a hard time understanding 2 things.

1. Why Fans pay. I love my hockey team but f*** I think the prices are just insane at an Oilers game. I just can't justify going.
2. How the f*** do most American teams make money when everything is roughly half the price of the equivalent Canadian team even after taking into account exchange rates.

Utah tickets are almost half the price of Oiler tickets.
Vegas tickets are almost a third of the price of Oiler tickets.

The T.V numbers aren't even in the same ballpark.

Yet Vegas spends to the cap and more.

Is it just those owners are losing money and don't mind? which is fine it's their money.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Yet Vegas spends to the cap and more.

Vegas is the 8th-highest earning team. NHL teams revenue 2023 | Statista.

The curious thing is that the Kings generate effectively the same revenue as Edmonton and Toronto despite LA having two NFL teams, two NBA teams, an MLB team (two if you include the nearby Angels), i.e., for sports fans the Kings are anything but "the only game in town" (although of course Toronto does have the Raptors and Blue Jays).

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Vegas is the 8th-highest earning team. NHL teams revenue 2023 | Statista.

The curious thing is that the Kings generate effectively the same revenue as Edmonton and Toronto despite LA having two NFL teams, two NBA teams, an MLB team (two if you include the nearby Angels), i.e., for sports fans the Kings are anything but "the only game in town" (although of course Toronto does have the Raptors and Blue Jays).

I guess I'm asking how?

Vegas ticket prices are about 1/3 of a Canadian teams even after taking into account exchange rates. Okay this was just a quick ticket master lookup so definitely could be out to lunch there. But I've always been told this is a gate driven league and Vegas sales no more tickets then most other Canadian markets.

I can't see Vegas having a bigger regional t.v market and contract. To be honest I doubt it even sniffs most Canadian teams in regional viewership. Perhaps this is why the regional partner I've heard is going under.

Oh one thing I think it must be is playoff revenue. Was Vegas that high when they missed the other year?
I can't see that site as it wants a login.

I'll state it's not a competition and I don't really care which team makes more money. I'm just trying to understand how these franchises have such cheap tickets and high revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad