Utah Hockey Club announces reduced concession prices for popular items

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Meanwhile in Edmonton

Oilers-consessions.jpg
IS this real???

Motherf***ers chargin $55 for 2 burgers and 2 drinks??

The lays chips cost them maybe 0.15$ per bag, the drinks a $1 each, burgers 5$ each

This is absurd

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I got nothing to back this up but I feel like a lot of those people who do that tend to only see a few games a season or maybe that's even the only game a season they see so to them it's just part of the splurge for the night.
Yeah could be the case. Or they have too much money. I say all this and I'm sure people wonder why people like me buy multiple $18 beers haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Affordable concessions are going to come back to some degree, at least for a while.

People are just completely tapped out, there's no more blood to get out of the stone at the moment.

Some franchises yes, but I don't see it as a trend.

Anecdotally, I've seen a significant decrease in the amount of Jays fans going to the annual Jays/Mariners game. This year, it was way way less, granted both teams suck right now. But beer was $11 or $13 for a CAN, and with the exchange rate it's just way too much.

I might not even go next year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll never understand why people go to a sporting event and order a full meal like this. I guess it might just be people who didn't have time to eat dinner beforehand, but I often see people with multiple rounds of food and it always confuses me.

Actually the wild thing is people DO go the restaurants in and around the arena on *top* of paying for this, lol.

When I went to a game when the new arena first opened, we wanted to check out the Wayne Gretzky specialty restaurant inside the arena, so that was like a $70+ meal easy like 90 minutes before the game, and then during the game I just felt like I had to have a hot dog + beer too.

They are making a killing.

Reactions: Rob Brown

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Some franchises yes, but I don't see it as a trend.

It's definitely a trend across food & entertainment. You look at family casual restaurants like Chili's (example) - they were really on the ropes, got people to start coming back in the doors by having a $10 menu. One of my local sports teams (the Marlins) is replacing their overpriced outfield restaurant with a Flanigan's (a.k.a. the place everyone goes to get an affordable rack of ribs or bucket of wings).

Too many examples -- local and national -- to name here. 'Value oriented' offerings are back on the menu, to borrow a corpospeak euphemism. Don't worry, they'll go back to soaking you later, if energy prices go back down and other inflationary pressures stop running out of control.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Not sure why more arena concessions don't follow this. There is argument to be made that concessions would be almost as profitable by reducing cost while increasing sales. Selling two pops as a dollar profit is just as good as selling one pop at two dollars profit.

Not to get all aCtUaLlY on you but labor, food, storage, etc costs would go up selling twice as much making the same "profit".

I love the idea of what Utah is doing here though. I pretty much avoid eating at all costs at the LCA here in Detroit because it's so expensive.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is all well and good so long as Utah doesn’t receive revenue sharing from the rest of the league. If they get league subsidies but pass off savings to their fans, it’s cute PR but ultimately not cool.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even at $3, you're still likely making a margin on hot dogs and pop corn, those things are dirt cheap to make.

The beer and drinks is probably where they will charge a higher margin.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not to get all aCtUaLlY on you but labor, food, storage, etc costs would go up selling twice as much making the same "profit".

I love the idea of what Utah is doing here though. I pretty much avoid eating at all costs at the LCA here in Detroit because it's so expensive.

Read the articles, they have been making more money than ever before, people come inside earlier, spend money when they weren't spending any before and are spending more on merchandise since they didn't spend it all on food...

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Those grotesque prices are true in all the Canadian markets. We get gouged up here.
The food is as grotesque as the prices they charge for those same items.

IS this real???

Motherf***ers chargin $55 for 2 burgers and 2 drinks??

The lays chips cost them maybe 0.15$ per bag, the drinks a $1 each, burgers 5$ each

This is absurd

Yes. Last time i was at rogers i paid like 60$ for 3 slices of Pizza 73 pizza. 3 fountain sodas and movie theater sized chocolate bar.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Yes. Last time i was at rogers i paid like 60$ for 3 slices of Pizza 73 pizza. 3 fountain sodas and movie theater sized chocolate bar.
Not too sure how close we are to the tipping point up here where people just stop going to games because the costs (not just for the tickets but all the extras too) get too high. But we are likely getting close. Other than Montreal and Toronto (imo) the Canadian clubs need to have winning teams or their attendance will drop dramatically.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Sour Patch Kids are $15 when I was at the Air Canada Centre before COVID...and that's for one of the smaller bags (350g I think)

People buying candy at those prices is something I'll never understand when it's the easiest possible thing to bring into the arena yourself.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

My god thats absurd

I went to a raptors game back in 2022 paid about 22-23 bucks for a regular poutine (just a regular too) and a bottle of water and thought thats a lot for some medicore fries/gravy/cheese

paying 60-70 for the amount of food you mentioned in your post would make me cheer for the other team/boo my home team lool

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I remember I visited Tampa with a work colleague and we went to see a Lightning game, he went to the arena bar and ordered double whiskey, I guess he did not ask the price and was shocked when it cost him $25

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
This should be common sense. You know how many $10 hot dogs I've bought in my life? None.

How many $3 hot dogs have I bought? Well, still none. Because I don't eat hot dogs. But if I did, you know damn well it would be more than zero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad