Utah HC plans for Delta Center renovations and downtown SLC getting pushback. [UPD 7/9: SLC approves deal unanimously]

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This franchise looks like its living in a 30 year simulation. It has the same issue back then!
For the sake of the franchise I do hope whether it's a reno or a new arena, that they finally get it done within the next 3 years so that we don't have to discuss it anymore.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I honestly don’t know how they would do this without shutting the arena down for a couple of years. Didn’t it take 3 years to completely transform the Key Arena (Climate Pledge) to a multi-purpose arena? That’s why I’m not an architect.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I honestly don’t know how would do this without shutting the arena down for a couple of years. Didn’t it take 3 years to completely transform the Key Arena (Climate Pledge) to a multi-purpose arena? That’s why I’m not an architect.
Well no one was really occupying it he arena in Seattle so they basically tore it down to the studs.
In AZ the city had offered to tear down footprint to build a new one in its place if the 2 teams would share but suns were not going to give up half the non sporting revenue to the coyotes when they had control of footprint. This wasn’t like reunion and mcnichols for Dallas/colorado where the city operated the arena. Thus 2 sides got more than they currently were getting at the time.

Such a structural change is going to take time. Don’t see it being done in the offseason only.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
That's actually a pretty telling sign for how little the area drinks.

Beer prices were slightly higher for the Hockey Club’s opening night. A Michelob Ultra went for $13 at the Utah Jazz’s preseason game on Monday, but sold for $15 at Utah HC’s game on Tuesday. Even at $15 a pop, that would be 8,000 cans sold Tuesday night.

For maybe 8,000 or so beers in a 16,000 seat arena to be a record? Not a heavy-drinking town, albeit with religious and cultural considerations that's not too surprising.

That's about 2 beers for every seat at their old arena :laugh:

I could see them upping the beer prices to subsidize the cheaper hot dog/bottled water prices though. Seems fair and I wouldn't mind being on the losing end of that since If I'm already past $10 for a can might as well make it 2/$30.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I honestly don’t know how they would do this without shutting the arena down for a couple of years. Didn’t it take 3 years to completely transform the Key Arena (Climate Pledge) to a multi-purpose arena? That’s why I’m not an architect.
The difference between the key and this arena is the lack of seats in general and a small lower bowl in the Key arena. They needed to dig down a lot to fit more seats and a NHL bowl. With Delta the changes are significant but they will be potentially bust out walls vs digging down and creating piping etc.

Cimate Pledge was essentially creating a brand new arean with only maintaing the old roof hence why the time.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA

I imagine the phases will be done sort of how they did things with State Farm Arena a few years back. They made huge changes over a few off seasons.

Reactions: OG6ix and antman12

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
So does this still have to be passed by voters? Or is it a go, and now they just have to decide on it being a renovation or a new arena? I know the council approved it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ESPN announcers during game one indicated they will be blowing out the ends this summer to provide better sightlines for the ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad