Confirmed with Link: Utah acquires John Marino (NJD) plus 2024 5th (COL, #153) for 2024 2nd (#49) and 2025 2nd (EDM)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Need to get an upgrade on Valimaki, but if they can get a #3/4 LHD, this team is going to be really, really improved from last season

Last Year: Durzi/Moser/Brown/Valimaki/Stecher/Kesselring/Dermott
This Year: Sergachev/Marino/Durzi/Kesselring/Valimaki/Kolyachonok

If they can get a middle LHD to pair w/Durzi, this is a huge upgrade over last years squad

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
This is a great deal for Marino and buying low on him and he's a great player to add to the roster but he is absolutely not better than Moser, defensively sure, but Moser is 24 and much much better offensively. Marino also likes to roam so he isn't the best guy to pair with Sergachev or Durzi. Maybe BA will be able to turn him into a good stay at home guy. Don't like buying two guys who both had shit years last year though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe currently but Moser is younger and a BA pick who'll likely have a better career.
I don't give a shit about the picks lost today but losing Moser and Geekie isn't sitting right with me. Seems to me like Smith wants to get moving on the rebuild.
I don’t think you understand just how much of an upgrade Sergachev is for this franchise. BA acquired assets and used those assets to improve the team. Sergachev is a core player with 7 years left on his contract.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I don’t think you understand just how much of an upgrade Sergachev is for this franchise. BA acquired assets and used those assets to improve the team. Sergachev is a core player with 7 years left on his contract.
I really like Sergachev and know how much he upgrades. It's just my nerves. Conor Geekie had a great season and is a big BA type center that he moved earth to draft. My gut is telling me Ryan Smith is inserting himself.

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I really like Sergachev and know how much he upgrades. It's just my nerves. Conor Geekie had a great season and is a big BA type center that he moved earth to draft. My gut is telling me Ryan Smith is inserting himself.
I can relate about nerves, but, I disagree with your gut. This team was on the right side of a playoff spot until 0 for February. Also we all knew this team needed better blueliners and Sergachev is that! And to acquire him it was going to take a decent #1 pick. Geekie is that #1 from the recent past. JJ on the otherhand...

Waiting on free agency...

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Just having stability will probably be good for an extra 10 points. GMBA is particularly good at looking at talent. I don't see Ryan Smith changing that. If he wanted to do that, he would get a new GM. I am cautiously optimistic that the same evaluative process is taking place and that players with the right fit can be better together here. Having the best player in the world doesn't win cups, having the best team does. I assume that Marino is a puzzle piece that GMBA wanted to have and we only gave up a couple of picks.

Reactions: Schemp

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Geekie is a 2/3C and is at least 2 years away from the NHL. I think he will get there but he is far from a slam dunk star player. He will be bettert han his brother in time. He isn’t there yet.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Smith interviews demonstrate, at least verbally, he understands the importance of staying out of the way. He looks forward to sitting in a box with BA to sponge off of him but nothing indicates he is wanting to drive the bus. He is merely wanting to support the people he has in play such as providing $8.5m per season for a stud top 25 in the league defenseman.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is a great deal for Marino and buying low on him and he's a great player to add to the roster but he is absolutely not better than Moser, defensively sure, but Moser is 24 and much much better offensively. Marino also likes to roam so he isn't the best guy to pair with Sergachev or Durzi. Maybe BA will be able to turn him into a good stay at home guy. Don't like buying two guys who both had shit years last year though.
I agree, but don't forget Sergachev missed a large part of last year because of injury, so here's hoping the injury does not affect his play going forward. BA kind of went off script here. I was never a big Geekie fan, but he was one of the best players at camp last year. I guess this just shows how bad BA thought our D was last year, and it was. We are still bad though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00