Confirmed Signing with Link: [UTA] F Dylan Guenther signs extension with the Utah Hockey Club (8 years, $7.14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is this serious? If so, this is nuts. What has this player done to get such a contract?

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Rather pay big for potential at a younger age, than the same amount for a late 20's-early 30's guy who's at, or past, his prime. By then, the contract will be a pain for a team to get rid of.

Reactions: KPower

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
Crazy contract that I honestly had to double and triple check that it was correct LOL.

The risk with giving young NHL players too much money before they earn it is that it creates too much pressure too early and they stop improving. Look at a guy like Kotkaniemi, dude was very greedy and money hungry and was paid for "potential" then he turned into a total offensive dud and is now an overpaid 4C/3C tweener.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Risky contract but this reminds of me when I play be a GM and I lock all my studs up to 8 year deals asap, because I know they get good. If the video game is accurate then this will be a great deal long-term.

Reactions: Heldig

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well that came from left field. I like him, but that's a huge contract for a guy who hasn't done a whole lot yet.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Contract is heavy up front… lightens up in the last half.

It’s a smart structure for the team, not that anybody who is complaining about the AAV is really going to dig into. Franchise has plenty of cap and salary space right now just coming out of a full rebuild. In 5-6 years when Guenther is hitting his prime and the franchise a powerhouse, along with more big deals and a raising cap - the actual real money owed to Gunether will be a shockingly good deal.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It’s a smart structure for the team, not that anybody who is complaining about the AAV is really going to dig into. Franchise has plenty of cap and salary space right now just coming out of a full rebuild. In 5-6 years when Guenther is hitting his prime and the franchise a powerhouse, along with more big deals and a raising cap - the actual real money owed to Gunether will be a shockingly good deal.
Oh so at end of deal he might be worth it?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I think this is a no brainer move for a team like Utah. Even if he took a step back - salary cap ceilings wont be an issue anytime soon(for Utah). Further, a kid shows a ton of promise and is willing to lock in long term in Utah? Yea thats an easy call.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The comp would be Raymond's $8.1M plus cap increase, so they'd be saving ~$1.5M, in theory.
Raymond would be a higher end comp to Guenther

Higher pick/draft pedigree

Higher offensive ceiling and point production expectations, along with higher role on DRW depth chart vs Guenther

More seasons of strong play as Ramond has 3-year sample size with 2 years of 60-70 pt play and another ~50 pt pace year while Guenther would have 1.5 seasons of 60-70 point play

Utah are taking a risk and they could have gotten him at this deal +~500K if he had a full 65-70 pt year. They must really be high on his upside and believe he will improve from his rookie half season

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone that had never heard of Guenther has now. And I think they're going to be hearing a lot more about him throughout the season. He puts up highlight reel goals.

Edit: He'd be much better known if he were drafted by any other team than Arizona.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad