Confirmed Signing with Link: [UTA] F Dylan Guenther signs extension with the Utah Hockey Club (8 years, $7.14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a bit ridiculous. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't, but I hate this either way.

The guy has 50 career points. I'm not questioning his character in any way, but for a young player earning your first big pay day is always one motivating factor. He didn't even have to play a full season...

Reactions: Morrison

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Guenther looks great and will probably be worth the AAV given his skill level. Just kinda wild to see a player with 78 GP get a 57M bag. Two half seasons of play.

Reactions: Morrison

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
He scores at will, plays defense, and was on the penalty kill by season's end. He's not just being locked up for being a goal-scoring threat; that he is so well-rounded in such a short-stint bodes well and justifies the risk. The contract could age to be one of the biggest steals in not too long.

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guenther looks great and will probably be worth the AAV given his skill level. Just kinda wild to see a player with 78 GP get a 57M bag. Two half seasons of play.
Not really an outlier anymore. Sanderson, Power, Faber all signed after 1 full NHL season. Guenther, at first, I was like, he's eligible to sign? But, 22/23 he burned an elc year but was returned to the W, thus with just 33 games (under half a season) he didn't accrue a year towards UFA. So, only has 1 year accrued under his belt (last season). Still has 5 RFA years left after his elc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Utah has the same idea that Buffalo had when they gave Tage Thompson that huge deal after his breakout year in 2021-2022. He signed that 7 year, $50 million deal after only having that 1 great year (68 points in 78 games) and proceeded to put up nearly a 50-50 season the next year. Had they waited a year, Thompson's deal would have probably gone from $7 million AAV to $10 million AAV.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Surprised
He scores at will, plays defense, and was on the penalty kill by season's end. He's not just being locked up for being a goal-scoring threat; that he is so well-rounded in such a short-stint bodes well and justifies the risk. The contract could age to be one of the biggest steals in not too long.
Utah has terrific setup guys in Keller, Schmaltz and Maccelli but lack for pure goal scorers.

Enter Guenther.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Fair risk to both sides. If Gunner continues to progress, then you got a value in the backhalf from the teams perspective
I get what you mean. By playing out his cards differently, Guenther could actually make more money in the next 9 years by betting on himself.

But let's just not call it a risk, when you secure 50 million dollars without even playing a single full season in the NHL shall we?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Utah has the same idea that Buffalo had when they gave Tage Thompson that huge deal after his breakout year in 2021-2022. He signed that 7 year, $50 million deal after only having that 1 great year (68 points in 78 games) and proceeded to put up nearly a 50-50 season the next year. Had they waited a year, Thompson's deal would have probably gone from $7 million AAV to $10 million AAV.
💯

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Talk about a contract year. Wasn’t even in the NHL until January this season and ends up with $50M+. Good for him.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why? Draft picks outside of your own team after are all gravy after like #6 overall. This guy has played almost as much in the AHL during the last two years as in the show.

So I'm sorry that I've not paid more attention to a guy who hasn't even been an NHL regular, who is yet going to be making more than 50M bucks guaranteed during the next 9 years.
should pay attention to more than just your team. contract is little rich for now but will likely age very nicely.

Might seem a bit risky in that it's maybe 4 months too early but 7x7 is basically the new 6x6. And more and more teams are realizing it's better to lock up potential franchise cornerstones than risk having them walk to free agency via short to medium length deals like Calgary stupidly did.
it can be fine if u leave atleast one RFA year, but then again they can just sign 1x and walk to UFA. its medium risk for high reward.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Some teams are going to get burned on these big money, long term deals for young guys. Might not be this one, will probably be a Sabre if history has taught us anything, but there are always duds. Committing $57m to a 21 year old with 45 career games is wild, regardless of pedigree.

Jun 15, 2007
All contracts are a gamble, some are smarter than others.

I think in this case, while there's a good chance he lives up to the contract, there's little chance he exceeds it and there's also a decent chance he doesn't live up to it. So it seems like the risk is far more on Utah's side than the players. So I consider it a bad contract, for now.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Tough to make a call on it today, but that's a lot of risk. If he's your #1RW three years from now, that's a decent AAV. But if he gets passed on the depth chart and he's a second liner, your payroll is probably going to be higher than you want it to be.
7m for a 2nd liner is going to be the normal three years for now. It’s a risky contract but if he stays a top 6 forward, it’ll pay off.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
It really wasn't. I legit had to EliteProspect that guy up, because

- He had been playing in Arizona
- He has not even played a full season in the NHL
- He is not a top-5 pick

I'm sorry if that offended you, that I didn't know one of the over thousand of players in the league.
Thats fine that you didnt know him - but to make a post saying that, in a thread specifically about him, is only a negative toward him and others who are fans of his

Instead, going on EliteProspects and then saying nothing or something along the lines of 'didnt know who he was but seems he did well last year and lets see if hes worth that money'

Heck, even just saying 'Utah fans, is he worth it?' is sufficient. Really no need to make point to everyone that you didnt know who it was, unless youre going to make it seem friendly instead of combative

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Guess nobody told Armstrong they don’t have to pull their pants down anymore.

These are those scary deals that WILL bite teams. It’s only a matter of time. It may or may not be him, but it’s gonna happen.

You just can’t be giving wealth contracts to kids who’ve never even played an NHL season yet. It’s horrible business in a cap environment for two reasons. First for your own cap, but for other teams as well. So if Marco Kasper is a PPG in the AHL this year, you just hand him $7 million a year next September, to go into effect the following year?

As we all say “no”, he’s now gonna ask for it, and have firm ground to stand on.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I haven't heard of him either lol I had to look him up.

Is it not possible maybe some guys especially players on *Arizona that only played 40ish games fly under the radar for some?

He was a Top 10 pick 3 years ago, he scored the OT winner for Canada to win Gold at the World Juniors, and he was the 1st overall pick in the WHL Draft.

Reactions: mouser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad