USHL teams to OHL?

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
since the news of CHL eligibility for NCAA I was worried something like this would happen to the USHL. maybe we see something similar to the top AJHL teams bolting for the BCHL to not get left behind.

Once CHLers are eligible for the USHL it’ll be a big hit. Think a lot more American kids would opt to go play on the bigger stage, better league, better facilities and a bit extra cash. At the end of the day what’s the real difference living in Muskegon or Peterborough

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Problem is if it’s only the top few I’d fear the ones left behind wouldn’t survive. Wonder if there’s a world where the USHL and CHL could just standardize and roll the USHL in as the 4th league. 4 winners to the Memorial cup, just rotate hosts instead

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I like Muskegon, but I’ve never visited the area outside of summer, so I have no clue how much meaningful fan support that the Lumberjacks have. Makes geographic sense if the OHL wanted to swipe a couple USHL teams, though.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Uuuuuummm ... about 500 miles, and an exchange rate?
I'm talking about the differences in the day to day life of a 16 year old who's gonna be billeting in mid to low size cities in either Ontario or the US midwest. which is not much. All things the same I think you'd see a lot more Americans opt for the OHL than you currently do.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
I guess I could see Muskegon being let in considering they at least have the Ontario Sault, Saginaw and Flint nearby to take the load of travel...but I can't see Youngstown. Nearest opponent being Erie, instantly being the southernmost outpost, and probably having to travel 3 and a half, 4 hours to St. Catharines and crossing the border there more often then not. An incredibly weird place to put a team in the OHL, and it probably isn't going to work.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Youngstown owners have been trying to make big splashes all summer, maybe two summers now. They know there's a big shift that's about to occur and they really want to get out ahead of it. Whether that means they become the go-to destination of the USHL or they try to step up into the OHL or whatever they can come up with in terms of exposure, they're up to something and they aren't super quiet about it in certain circles...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad