Useless Thread MCMVI: Fried Chicken Depreciation Thread

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
"This logic is terrible when you’re in the spot like the Titans. When you’re not winning anything like they are this year why not try to gain some draft capital on a player?"

You can still trade the player without helping the reigning champs.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

No team had it coming more than the Pens. Get lucky and win 2 straight cups then tail tf off. Good riddance. Now the club can't even make the playoffs anymore.

You reap what you sow bud

It's all good the Pens can just raid WBS like they did for all their Cup runs, oh wait the minors are barren?

Serves you right for neglecting goaltending and putting all that $ into Crosby, Malkin and LeTang. Those players will retire very soon :laugh:

Caps had an issue with old players too, but their GM actually made an effort to make the team younger and it's paying off so far. Plus they had the good sense to get rid of a coach who wasn't working out. How is Sullivan still there?

Never mind that. Keep him as long as you want :laugh:

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
It's karma for f***ing over Fleury and running him out of town.
Eh they replaced him with Matt Murray who won cups. I actually didn't think Murray was that bad for them

He came in hot as a good young goalie and the Caps beat him in 2018 and I really don't remember much after that, Pens ended up trading him to Ottawa or something and the goalies have been shit ever since. Jarry sucks and DeSmith was always garbage. Nerdjokovic is nothing special

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Got to say the rest of the league loves Pittsburgh crashing back down to earth especially when they're a fringe playoff team too stupid to tank and get another generational talent. Have fun being mid in Crosby's last years before hitting rock bottom.

And no nothing dubas has done has been impressive. guentzel was the best hope for yinz and you traded him for a sack of peanuts lol

hate the pens but admired guentzel game.

• Wow
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Eh they replaced him with Matt Murray who won cups. I actually didn't think Murray was that bad for them

He came in hot as a good young goalie and the Caps beat him in 2018 and I really don't remember much after that, Pens ended up trading him to Ottawa or something and the goalies have been shit ever since. Jarry sucks and DeSmith was always garbage. Nerdjokovic is nothing special

They're the ones that signed him to a big contract that f***ed their cap situation.

That situation is management's fault, yet they had no problem throwing away a 13 year veteran of the team, even going as far as paying another team to take him.

It's only fitting that Murray flopped and they've been struggling to find a quality goalie since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Caps kind of had the same goalie flop, Holtby got old and less efficient, but after the Cup the manament just refused to re-sign Trotz who was nearing the end of the contract and everyone complained about that. When he left he took the goalie coach with him so we went through a whole shitload of failed prospects like Pitt. The difference was we were smart enough to realize Lavo and Reirden weren't working and cut ties. Meanwhile Pitt has still been trotting out the same washed up coach for years lol

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
John Price stared at his computer screen, the bright blue interface of HFBoards glowing in the darkened room. He had been at it for hours, spamming threads with opinions nobody asked for, arguing over trades that would never happen, and insisting that his favorite team had the best prospects in the league. He didn’t have much else to do these days. Ever since he'd lost his job a year ago, finding work had been like chasing shadows. No responses, no interviews, nothing but rejection.

HFBoards had become a strange comfort. A place where he could distract himself from the gnawing anxiety that came with being unemployed. But lately, even that wasn’t enough. There was only so much satisfaction to be gained from baiting fans into pointless debates. And with his savings drying up, the pressure was mounting.

In a moment of desperation, John made a decision. If he couldn’t get a job, he’d at least pretend he had one. Maybe that would take the edge off the constant feeling of failure. So, the next day, in the general off-topic discussion thread—infamously dubbed "The Useless Thread" by longtime members—he posted a casual update:

"Started a new job today, guys! Feels good to be back in the workforce. Anyone else grinding that 9-to-5 life?"

He hit send, leaned back, and waited for the dopamine hit of acknowledgment. Surely someone would congratulate him. Maybe even ask what kind of work he was doing. But as the minutes ticked by, the replies were not what he expected.

"Yeah right, John. We know you’re still here 24/7," one user shot back.

"New job? Is that why you’ve posted 47 times today?" added another.

"You can’t just make up a job, man. We see you. We all see you."

John frowned, his fingers hovering over the keyboard. He hadn’t considered that his relentless activity on the forum might give him away. He tried again, this time a little more defensive.

"Actually, I work from home now. Remote gig. Lots of flexibility."

It wasn’t a total lie—remote jobs were everywhere these days. But the thread wasn’t buying it. They knew him too well.

"Sure, buddy. Next you’ll say you’re the CEO of Hockey Opinions Incorporated," someone quipped, and the post quickly racked up likes.

"Hey, maybe his job is posting on HFBoards. Ever think of that?" another chimed in sarcastically.

Frustrated, John closed the browser window, his heart sinking. He had never felt so exposed. For a while, he’d managed to convince himself that the forum was an escape from the real world, but now it was just another place where he couldn’t hide from the truth.

Days passed, and he kept his head down, avoiding "The Useless Thread" and keeping his posts more on topic. But the emptiness didn’t go away. His online life was starting to mirror his offline one—full of hollow conversations and half-truths. John knew he needed to do something more than pretend.

Late one night, after yet another fruitless job search session, he found himself typing up an unusually honest post:

"Hey, everyone. I know I’ve been kind of off lately, and I made some stuff up about a job. The truth is, I’m struggling. It’s been tough finding work, and I’ve been on here way too much, just trying to distract myself. Not looking for sympathy, just wanted to come clean."

He hesitated before hitting send but eventually did. He didn’t expect much. Maybe a few users mocking him or just ignoring the post altogether. But to his surprise, the replies were kinder than he had imagined.

"Hang in there, John. The job market’s rough right now."

"You’ll find something, man. In the meantime, feel free to spam the hockey threads with me."

"Respect for being honest. We all go through tough times."

John blinked at the screen, a strange warmth spreading through him. For the first time in months, he felt a little less alone. Maybe he wasn’t employed, and maybe the job hunt would still take a while, but at least he had a small corner of the internet where people were willing to let him be himself—even in "The Useless Thread."

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
LeBron takes over the Lakers and makes them do their bidding.

Aaron Rodgers takes over the Jets and makes them sign his desired FA's (allegedly), trade for his players, play his coaches, etc.

teepThink

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
John Price stared at his computer screen, the bright blue interface of HFBoards glowing in the darkened room. He had been at it for hours, spamming threads with opinions nobody asked for, arguing over trades that would never happen, and insisting that his favorite team had the best prospects in the league. He didn’t have much else to do these days. Ever since he'd lost his job a year ago, finding work had been like chasing shadows. No responses, no interviews, nothing but rejection.

HFBoards had become a strange comfort. A place where he could distract himself from the gnawing anxiety that came with being unemployed. But lately, even that wasn’t enough. There was only so much satisfaction to be gained from baiting fans into pointless debates. And with his savings drying up, the pressure was mounting.

In a moment of desperation, John made a decision. If he couldn’t get a job, he’d at least pretend he had one. Maybe that would take the edge off the constant feeling of failure. So, the next day, in the general off-topic discussion thread—infamously dubbed "The Useless Thread" by longtime members—he posted a casual update:

"Started a new job today, guys! Feels good to be back in the workforce. Anyone else grinding that 9-to-5 life?"

He hit send, leaned back, and waited for the dopamine hit of acknowledgment. Surely someone would congratulate him. Maybe even ask what kind of work he was doing. But as the minutes ticked by, the replies were not what he expected.

"Yeah right, John. We know you’re still here 24/7," one user shot back.

"New job? Is that why you’ve posted 47 times today?" added another.

"You can’t just make up a job, man. We see you. We all see you."

John frowned, his fingers hovering over the keyboard. He hadn’t considered that his relentless activity on the forum might give him away. He tried again, this time a little more defensive.

"Actually, I work from home now. Remote gig. Lots of flexibility."

It wasn’t a total lie—remote jobs were everywhere these days. But the thread wasn’t buying it. They knew him too well.

"Sure, buddy. Next you’ll say you’re the CEO of Hockey Opinions Incorporated," someone quipped, and the post quickly racked up likes.

"Hey, maybe his job is posting on HFBoards. Ever think of that?" another chimed in sarcastically.

Frustrated, John closed the browser window, his heart sinking. He had never felt so exposed. For a while, he’d managed to convince himself that the forum was an escape from the real world, but now it was just another place where he couldn’t hide from the truth.

Days passed, and he kept his head down, avoiding "The Useless Thread" and keeping his posts more on topic. But the emptiness didn’t go away. His online life was starting to mirror his offline one—full of hollow conversations and half-truths. John knew he needed to do something more than pretend.

Late one night, after yet another fruitless job search session, he found himself typing up an unusually honest post:

"Hey, everyone. I know I’ve been kind of off lately, and I made some stuff up about a job. The truth is, I’m struggling. It’s been tough finding work, and I’ve been on here way too much, just trying to distract myself. Not looking for sympathy, just wanted to come clean."

He hesitated before hitting send but eventually did. He didn’t expect much. Maybe a few users mocking him or just ignoring the post altogether. But to his surprise, the replies were kinder than he had imagined.

"Hang in there, John. The job market’s rough right now."

"You’ll find something, man. In the meantime, feel free to spam the hockey threads with me."

"Respect for being honest. We all go through tough times."

John blinked at the screen, a strange warmth spreading through him. For the first time in months, he felt a little less alone. Maybe he wasn’t employed, and maybe the job hunt would still take a while, but at least he had a small corner of the internet where people were willing to let him be himself—even in "The Useless Thread."
cope bud

Reactions: Neil Racki

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
The whole unemployment thing was off @Paul Simonon who turned it into a meme even though he looked up information from about 12 years ago :laugh:

It's possible for things to change since then :laugh:

I am very rich and own a town house and pay a mortgage and pay taxes.

I will say one thing I do regret is that I spend nearly all my life on this forum and when I do go out I don't talk to anyone

So I just sit here by myself without a woman :(

It sucks but life is life.

And as the Gatsby book goes,

"John believed in the green light, the orgasmic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther ... And one fine morning- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
What he's saying is that the ultimate goal which in this case is Mrs. Price, is unattainable. So we keep fighting the current, run faster, in a fruitless endeavor to try to achieve that "American Dream." Sad.

Reactions: Neil Racki

PanthersPens62

Paul & Stanley
Mar 7, 2009
Home of The Cup
@MetalheadPenguinsFan Today you are going to be like Mr. Price and have a second breakfast ! 🥞 It's the college edition & once you put on a new bib, you will be joined by Cuddle Buddy#2, who still fits in his shirt & wants to give you delayed post surgery comfort, as well as ESA Br'er Rabbitt, who is munching on the leftover carrots from her "dad's" Pasta A-La Peas & Carrots meal. Enjoy your 2nd helping of 😋 🥞 !!!!

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
It's like you can change up, right, you can say you somebody new, you can give yourself a whole new story. But, what came first is who you really are and what happened before is what really happened.

And it don't matter that some fool say he different cuz the only thing that make you different is what you really do, what you really go through. Like, ya know, like all them books in his library. He frontin with all them books, but if you pull one down off the shelf, ain't none of the pages ever been opened. He got all them books, and he ain't read near one of 'em.

Gatsby, he was who he was, and he did what he did. And cuz he wasn't ready to get real with the story, that shit caught up to him. I think, anyway.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
A couple weeks ago I watched the movie Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga. When it came time to log it on Letterboxd I didn't come up with anything funny or interesting or insightful so I just posted "Desert Power" because I knew it would get a lot of likes.

The joke didn't even make sense because all the Mad Max movies are set in the desert, and other than Anya Taylor-Joy being in both Furiosa and Dune 2 there was no real connection between the two franchises that I was illuminating, it was just a reference that I knew people would recognize and appreciate if they liked both things.

A post on my Letterboxd account is not a significant object by any standard but it is nevertheless my belief that every time you do something like that, every time you put something in the world that you know isn't good just because it'll work, you lose a miniscule piece of your soul that will never regenerate.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
B…b…but I thought you don’t talk to anyone.
and thats why I'm not renting to anyone right now! keep up bud

JDBottle.jpg

UT should sue lol

• Love
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad