Tennis: US Open 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another tough set, but Zverev is in control of the match now. Can't imagine the #168th ranked player in the world coming back to take this in five.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Finally an early break for Sascha. Smooth sailing from here on out would be nice.

6-4 and not easy. Full points to King for playing a hell of a match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rainy day in New York. Bah. Rain only works in Paris.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Keys take an easy first set from Mertens, 6-3. Mertens time and again would have won a point if she could only get a ball with pace into the corners, but she always misses by a foot or two and Madison hits a winner to the open court.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I agree he has the potential to be a top 10 player. With many top players set to retire relatively soon, the window is beginning to open for everyone else.

Generation useless might grab a few slams but I have more faith in the next gen players.

But I truly believe the real deal is FAA. Future #1 IMO.

Wow. I haven't seen him in a match for over a year. He showed some extraordinary tools then, but its so hard to figure out how players will develop on the ATP tour. Your expectations have me pumped though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yikes. Late to the party getting TIFF tickets, wasn't expecting a lost first set for Roger.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Monster choke game from Tiafoe. Roger's mystique suddenly intimidated him, 3-1.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Oh I got scared for a second. Thought Roger was the one down 2-5 in this 2nd set and was about to go down two sets to love.

Crisis averted. Almost had a heart attack.

On another note, I'm surprised anybody in here thought the Sharapova/Halep match last night was high quality. Sharapova racked up an ungodly amount of errors and the entire match was on her racket. Halep didn't dictate at any point and should have been served bakery products in straights. Thankfully for her Maria's serving and shot selection is still lacking -- she really is horrendous at being able to adapt her game to the situation. Explains the repeated ass kickings she's suffered at the hands of Serena over the years.

Did not miss the screeching and still find it offensive that Sharapova got handed a MD entry on a silver platter.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tiafoe continues to play himself out of contention, 2-love in the third.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I've never played golf ("bad way to spoil a good walk"--Mark Twain) but I think Tiafoe has a case of what golfers call the "yips." Trying to get back to their natural game, they get tight as a drum and become more overwhelmed and uptight by each subsequent mistake. Even the easiest shot becomes a challenge.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tiafoe breaks in the fourth for 3-1 as Roger looks anything but sharp....and a second break as Roger seems to be struggling a little physically.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Men's tennis here in the States seems to have its future star in Tiafoe. This kid has done nothing but impress at every level and so far I see nothing in his game that doesn't suggest he'll be the one to finally bring some respectability back to the men's game when it comes to American born players. Impressive showing tonight. Rough around the edges but to be expected considering he's still wet behind the ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad