US Fed and 30 states sue Ticketmaster for antitrust

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati

From the finance side. TM processes 80% of tickets in US.
They control 80 percent of the ticket industry. That's crazy.

That said, call me skeptical but I won't believe any real change will happen in that industry until I see it.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I just don't see how they "break it up". I think of businesses like Standard Oil that were broken up into 34 smaller regional oil companies. But how do you do that with ticketing? You break it up into concert, sporting events, etc.? How does that do anything to provide more competition? Do it geographically? There will still be only one major ticketing organization in each jurisdiction. They will still carry the same deals with the same promoters and venues. It sounds terrific but pragmatically, how does that help?

* If not patently obvious I have no background or experience in this area.

Reactions: Bonk

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
For one, split back into TM and Live Nation (concert promotion/production).

As far as Ticketmaster itself...no clue.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
FhSwNGlWIAgqpzJ.jpg

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The tickets to concerts have gone up more than anything else during inflation and that’s saying a lot. $600-700 a ticket here in Canada to see any big name act of any kind it seems now and 70% of it is fees

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I just don't see how they "break it up". I think of businesses like Standard Oil that were broken up into 34 smaller regional oil companies. But how do you do that with ticketing? You break it up into concert, sporting events, etc.? How does that do anything to provide more competition? Do it geographically? There will still be only one major ticketing organization in each jurisdiction. They will still carry the same deals with the same promoters and venues. It sounds terrific but pragmatically, how does that help?

* If not patently obvious I have no background or experience in this area.

The issue is Live Nation owns/manages most venues, so when Ticketmaster bought them they acquired those venues. That means in addition to being the only real ticket seller they also control who plays the venues so if any entertainer tries to not use Ticketmaster they'd essentially get blackballed from performing.

That's where you'll see the break up, they'll be forced to give up venue management.

Reactions: DoyleG and Cas

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I have 2 issues with ticketdisaster 1) They should not be permitted to act as an agent for primary sales and secondary sales. There have definitely been times I went on for a public onsale, nothing wa available. However, plenty were available in the resale market in the sections they usually sell as primary.

2) There should not be "market" pricing on primary sales, especially during the initial public onsale. Prices for tickets going on sale should be announced ahead of time, and should be locked in on the primary market. The public onsale create an artificial demand and their logarithms skyrocket the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad