Player Discussion Urho Vaakanainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Vaks and Gudas is a perfect shutdown pair.. PK Pair.. Keep them together.. Gudas is a +15 on this team.. Wow.. Love the guy... Him and Vaks should stick together for atleast as long as Gudas is here for.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Yeah I don't think anyone had completely written him off but it was fair to have very little expectations given his inability to stay healthy
On here? Plenty did. The majority that voiced their opinion did. Very, very few had him on their roster predictions before training camp and plenty would baulk at the ones who did.

Some who were crapping on Verbeek for trading Lindholm, Manson, and Rakell wanted him to be bad to further their narrative. Now they're changing their tune.
Absof***inglutely this.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really good numbers...

urho.jpg

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
seems like you guys are crowded on that left side. is vaak gonna be moved? nice to see him pan out, always
seemed like a good kid.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
seems like you guys are crowded on that left side. is vaak gonna be moved? nice to see him pan out, always
seemed like a good kid.

Honestly unsure at this point. He’s too good to let walk imo. Gotta think one of he or LaCombe is moved at some point though. My guess is that it’d be Vaaks but who knows

Reactions: neelynugs

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
seemed like a good kid.

Honestly unsure at this point. He’s too good to let walk imo. Gotta think one of he or LaCombe is moved at some point though. My guess is that it’d be Vaaks but who knows

He had a real good year last year, and is still relatively inexperienced for a defenseman his age so I think there is still room for growth. Like Duck Off said though, his lack of versatility (Lacombe can play both sides) and lack of offensive upside may lead him to being the odd man out. He’s a NHL defenseman IMO though.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He had a real good year last year, and is still relatively inexperienced for a defenseman his age so I think there is still room for growth. Like Duck Off said though, his lack of versatility (Lacombe can play both sides) and lack of offensive upside may lead him to being the odd man out. He’s a NHL defenseman IMO though.
i'd take him back in boston as a lower cost option for the D. but i think they may go with a better/more experienced guy.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
seemed like a good kid.

Vaak was finally healthy for a full season since being traded and looked very good defensively when paired with another shutdown guy like Gudas. Also, he can play on the PK. Vaak needs to keep seasoning as a 3rd pairing in hopes he can improve to carry his pair mate. Vaak cannot play the right side.

As for the crowding of the left side, if GM Verbeek is insistent on keeping defensemen on their shooting side, then yes, the left side is crowded with Vaak probably the 5th LD on the totem pole.

I don't know if Vaak will be moved for or just become a UFA. Since GM Verbeek traded for Vaak, there's a chance he might be kept.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
He is that and I think a great partner for an offensive-minded RHD. All teams need hard, stay-at-home D like Vaaks; I hope we can keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad