Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
For a rental? That 25th overall is going to be an NHLer, and in this particular draft possibly an impact player. I know the cap space is needed, which is good, but obviously we need an extension

The 25th OA pick is a price I would have paid just to get out from under the last 4 years of Korpisalo's contract, especially considering we have a top 10 pick in the draft as well.

An extension would be nice, and I'd bet on it happening, but even without it, I make that trade 10 times out of 10.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
For a rental? That 25th overall is going to be an NHLer, and in this particular draft possibly an impact player. I know the cap space is needed, which is good, but obviously we need an extension
We don't know he's a rental. We don't know the 25th will be an NHLer. And we know Korpisalo sucks. Hard win.

The stats at least back this up unlike the Korpisalo and Murray signings with red flags all over their resume and/or health charts at that point.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think this draft is seen as particularly strong, so I'm not convinced 25 is a sure thing.

I like some guys in that range and would love to add them, but reasonable expectations at that point should be guys like JBD. Since 1991, only 16 players taken 25th have played more than 100 games,

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't think this draft is seen as particularly strong, so I'm not convinced 25 is a sure thing.

I like some guys in that range and would love to add them, but reasonable expectations at that point should be guys like JBD. Since 1991, only 16 players taken 25th have played more than 100 games,
Further ammo from Bob:

"It seems there’s a divide of sorts between the top 20 on TSN’s list and the next group of as many 20-plus prospects. Famous last words, but it would be shocking if the first 20 on our list aren’t surefire first-rounders. Beyond that, though, the prospects ranked 21-32 would appear to be somewhat interchangeable with those ranked 33 to 50."

Reactions: stempniaksen

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
rookie GM making the best trade this organization has made in the past 10-15 years. (not counting lucky ass fail upwards ‘pulling a homer’ trade that was the Karlsson trade).
It's a short term upgrade, mixed with a cap clearing manoeuvre and with long term uncertainty.

It becomes a very good trade if and when Ullmark is extended.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
First Staios got a couple of thirds for Tarasenko even though Florida was negotiating against themselves.
Then he absolutely swindled one of the best-run teams in the league.

Can't wait to see what our rookie GM does to poorly-run team like Toronto or Montreal when he sets his sights on them.

Reactions: bicboi64 and LiseL

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Anxious to see what else Staios has up his sleeve. We have all just watched what you need to get to the next level. Strong D is a must. The playoffs are a different beast!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Anxious to see what else Staios has up his sleeve. We have all just watched what you need to get to the next level. Strong D is a must. The playoffs are a different beast!
3 of the 4 Conference finalists had 3 of the best, most consistent goaltenders in the league too, so I'm glad Staios saw that as a priority.

Reactions: otown

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
The saving grace if he doesn't re-sign is that you can presumably ship him out at the deadline. If he's playing at his usual level you can probably get something close to a late first round pick, provided one of the 18 or so teams in the playoff picture has a goaltending issue and aren't on a no trade list.

So you recoup your asset while also getting rid of Korpisalo and getting 60 games of decent netminding. That's 100% fine. It could go tits up if he gets hurt, plays terrible, or zero teams need a goalie, but seems like a risk worth taking.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The saving grace if he doesn't re-sign is that you can presumably ship him out at the deadline. If he's playing at his usual level you can probably get something close to a late first round pick, provided one of the 18 or so teams in the playoff picture has a goaltending issue and aren't on a no trade list.

So you recoup your asset while also getting rid of Korpisalo and getting 60 games of decent netminding. That's 100% fine. It could go tits up if he gets hurt, plays terrible, or zero teams need a goalie, but seems like a risk worth taking.
If he's playing at his usual level we could be in the thick of the playoff race at the deadline!

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
No need to trade Mr. Staios keep the picks. You’ve addressed our teams #1 and #3 needs (acquire a goalie, unload Korpisalo) in one move. Now go and do the same for Chychrun for some depth. I would hold on to Joseph unless the price is right. He’s of more valuable to us now than a 3rd/4th rd pick

Look into UFA for Dmen any of these will do:
Lyubushkin
Demelo
Tanev
Pesce
Walker
Carrier
Dumba
Myers

Reactions: lancepitlick

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If I told you on January when things were bleak that Staois would get the reigning Vezina winner to waive his NTC to come to Ottawa and you’d trade Korpisalo back in the same trade you’d tell me I was high.

Unreal trade that completely announces a change in culture in Ottawa.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No need to trade Mr. Staios keep the picks. You’ve addressed our teams #1 and #3 needs (acquire a goalie, unload Korpisalo) in one move. Now go and do the same for Chychrun for some depth. I would hold on to Joseph unless the price is right. He’s of more valuable to us now than a 3rd/4th rd pick

Look into UFA for Dmen any of these will do:
Lyubushkin
Demelo
Tanev
Pesce
Walker
Carrier
Dumba
Myers
Agreed on Joseph he's also popular in the room. You need a few beauties in any locker room. They need more high compete speed guys like him that can play up and down the lineup. Not less.

As for RHD. Unfortunately Demelo just signed.

Out of the to be UFA d men I'd consider.

Roy, Tanev, Pesce, Walker, Montour and Myers.

Not sure I have interest in the others you listed. Maybe Carrier.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Staios stepping up and getting stuff done. Is the Ullmark trade ideal? No, especially not with retention, but this is probably the first trade we've had in years where we are not objectively on the losing end of it from the get go.

Even if Ullmark doesn't extend with us, we got out of Korpisalo with only $1 million in retention and that additional capspace is valuable. The 25th overall is valuable, but it's not a bad price for additional valuable capspace and an Ullmark rental which could turn into a long term deal.

Solid A- move, and hoping that there's more moves like this. Now let's see how he addressed the RD and bottom 6 need.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Staios stepping up and getting stuff done. Is the Ullmark trade ideal? No, especially not with retention, but this is probably the first trade we've had in years where we are not objectively on the losing end of it from the get go.

Even if Ullmark doesn't extend with us, we got out of Korpisalo with only $1 million in retention and that additional capspace is valuable. The 25th overall is valuable, but it's not a bad price for additional valuable capspace and an Ullmark rental which could turn into a long term deal.

Solid A- move, and hoping that there's more moves like this. Now let's see how he addressed the RD and bottom 6 need.
Home run deal imo. The team has a much better path forward without that Korpisalo contract in the way. Even if Ullmark doesn't stay, which would admittedly suck, they could at least reset at the position next summer with all their goalie dollars available again other than the 1 mil to Korpisalo.

Reactions: Tuna99 and armani

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brady Tkachuk loves playing the Bruins and with Ullmark here now it’ll be great for the rivalry, game 1 vs. Boston to me is must see T.V.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
3. His amateur scouting staff is obsessed with drafting “the next Zdeno Chara”.
And yet we literally passed on the giant 6'7" dman who was touted as (potentially being) "the next Zdeno Chara" lol. Color me confused :huh:

Im not sure I can get behind the logic on this one....Although yeah its clear that our scouts like big, angry guys. Im really not going to disagree with them either that we need a lot more of them throughout the lineup. Funny enough but if Boucher could somehow stay healthy he would fill a huge team need for us in the bottom 6....something we have sorely needed since Neil retired (ie a big mean guy).....

Its true that there was a little mini renaissance of sorts during the 2010s for the smaller, softer offensive players. And players like Karlsson, Johnny Gaudreau, and Mitch Marner for example - were all considered to be amongst the very best players in the world at different points in time. Players like Mike Hoffman and Kevin Lebanc had a locked down roster spot in the league and even managed to get themselves nice long term contracts.

A Dman like Brannstrom was unanimously seen as a top prospect across the league, and barely anyone cared about his size at in 2017. Especially not after we had all just seen what Karlsson just did on one leg, and post Achilles injury - aka Branny level skating (aka not godly but still pretty great). And many other softer offensively minded players (like Dahlen or Sorenson for example) got to have a cup of tea in the NHL who wouldn't have in any other decade (back when being softer than baby shit still used to matter)....

But today in 2024, its just not the same game anymore. Now that the big strong D men can generally skate as fast and are as agile as the small forwards they're chasing around - if those small skilled forwards dont also have a heart of a lion (ie they aren't Charmin soft) - then they can be completely nullified in playoffs when the checking and intensity picks up.

Heck even the larger forwards can be totally shut down - but at least they can push back if they have some fighting spirt in them. The point being though is that these highly mobile, big strong D men of today are clearly hear to stay imo (like those giant gangly goalies are). And your best bet to counter the big, strong and mobile D is not gonna be by adding even more speed and offensive skills. Especially not for a roster that already has a logjam of capable players fighting for spots on the #1 and #2 powerplays....

Teams are going to have to fight fire with fire and get bigger and stronger themselves if they want to consistently go deep and hang with those heavy contenders. Its the only way. Just ask our blue friends over in Toronto how Dubas' plan to simply outscore everyone while seemingly ignoring team toughness has worked out for them....

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's already upgraded the goaltending massively while jettisoning our albatross at the same time.

Perron is a tidy signing and Jensen should fit in better than Chychrun with an extra year of term not requiring a massive commitment like the UFA's. Nothing wrong with Gregor.

Someone said it best this year. Steve is gonna come in and make a bunch of mostly boring moves that get criticized and the team will be better for it anyways.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Whatever you feel about Staios' moves today, the ultimate metric is how the team performs this year.

If we shit the bed again this year we're at minimum going through a significant re-tooling, so beat to hope it works for now and see how it all shakes out

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00