Boston Globe UPDATE - Bruins postpone ceremony to honor 1970 Stanley Cup team

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Curious that Espo still blames Jacobs as it became clear that Jacobs had given Sinden the keys.

In the fall of 1975, Sinden knew Orr was done and the Bruins needed Brad Park and somehow gets the Rangers to send us Park and Jean Ratelle for Espo and Carol Vadnais. Sinden pulled off a steal.

Some 30 years ago Jacobs steered the BoG to award Espo the Tampa franchise even though he had no apparent backing over Peter Karmanos who a few years later would buy Hartford.
Bruins 1969-70 reunion is in the works

The Big, Bad Bruins are coming back to Boston.

Plans are in the works for a reunion of the 1969-70 team, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the wild bunch that captured the region’s attention and the franchise’s fourth Stanley Cup championship, and gave rise to generations of hockey fans.

It will be centered around the March 24 game against fellow Original Six franchise Detroit.

Phil Esposito, a longtime radio color commentator for the Lightning, told the Globe he plans to fly north with Bobby Orr and their wives the day before. Esposito was trying to get all of the other surviving members of the squad — Wayne Cashman, Gerry Cheevers, Ken Hodge, Derek Sanderson, and many more — to join them. Esposito wasn’t yet sure of the details of the event. A team spokesman later said they are still in the works.

The impetus, said the 78-year-old Esposito, was to “do something nice, because we may never see some of these guys again,” remembering the late Gary Doak and Johnny “Pie” McKenzie, both of whom died within the last three years. “Honest to God, I just hope they treat us first class. If Cam Neely does it, it’ll be fine.”

Esposito still harbors bitter feelings about the 1975 trade to the Rangers, which sent the future Hall of Famer and Carol Vadnais to New York in exchange for Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, and minor leaguer Joe Zanussi.'

Esposito, who signed a four-year contract months before, said he and owner Jeremy Jacobs had a handshake deal that the Bruins would never trade him. The mention of Jacobs still causes Esposito to toss off a few four-letter words.

“I’ll never forgive him for it,” Esposito said.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Curious that Espo still blames Jacobs as it became clear that Jacobs had given Sinden the keys.

In the fall of 1975, Sinden knew Orr was done and the Bruins needed Brad Park and somehow gets the Rangers to send us Park and Jean Ratelle for Espo and Carol Vadnais. Sinden pulled off a steal.

Some 30 years ago Jacobs steered the BoG to award Espo the Tampa franchise even though he had no apparent backing over Peter Karmanos who a few years later would buy Hartford.
Bruins 1969-70 reunion is in the works

The Big, Bad Bruins are coming back to Boston.

Plans are in the works for a reunion of the 1969-70 team, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the wild bunch that captured the region’s attention and the franchise’s fourth Stanley Cup championship, and gave rise to generations of hockey fans.

It will be centered around the March 24 game against fellow Original Six franchise Detroit.

Phil Esposito, a longtime radio color commentator for the Lightning, told the Globe he plans to fly north with Bobby Orr and their wives the day before. Esposito was trying to get all of the other surviving members of the squad — Wayne Cashman, Gerry Cheevers, Ken Hodge, Derek Sanderson, and many more — to join them. Esposito wasn’t yet sure of the details of the event. A team spokesman later said they are still in the works.

The impetus, said the 78-year-old Esposito, was to “do something nice, because we may never see some of these guys again,” remembering the late Gary Doak and Johnny “Pie” McKenzie, both of whom died within the last three years. “Honest to God, I just hope they treat us first class. If Cam Neely does it, it’ll be fine.”

Esposito still harbors bitter feelings about the 1975 trade to the Rangers, which sent the future Hall of Famer and Carol Vadnais to New York in exchange for Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, and minor leaguer Joe Zanussi.'

Esposito, who signed a four-year contract months before, said he and owner Jeremy Jacobs had a handshake deal that the Bruins would never trade him. The mention of Jacobs still causes Esposito to toss off a few four-letter words.

“I’ll never forgive him for it,” Esposito said.

That man can sure hold a grudge

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
Not sure why the grudge still, perhaps Espo really did have a gentlemen's agreement with Jacobs. In any case, you have to put the trade in perspective - in that era (and prior), trades of this caliber just did not take place in any sport. It was very much unprecedented for the time for a player of this level to switch jerseys at that point in their career. It was far different from today where free agency and blockbuster trades happen across the sports landscape. Also take into consideration that for the four seasons prior, Espo averaged ~130 points per season. He entered his final season with the B's, prior to the trade, with 6 goals and 10 assists in the first 12 games after having scored 60+ the prior season. If you look back to the time period, he was traded to one of the top rivals, the Rangers, which also must have felt like a kick to the family jewels. He was extremely bitter then and has held the grudge but, perhaps, is seeing some of his old teammates passing and is softening his stance. Espo in Boston was a memorable time in hockey and maybe he finally is embracing how great that time was and is now able to look past the trade which was a trendsetter for what we see today in sports on a regular basis.

All that said, it might just be his Italian temper (I can say that as an Italian) which we also know to be legendary along with his ability to score goals.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Not sure why the grudge still, perhaps Espo really did have a gentlemen's agreement with Jacobs. In any case, you have to put the trade in perspective - in that era (and prior), trades of this caliber just did not take place in any sport. It was very much unprecedented for the time for a player of this level to switch jerseys at that point in their career. It was far different from today where free agency and blockbuster trades happen across the sports landscape. Also take into consideration that for the four seasons prior, Espo averaged ~130 points per season. He entered his final season with the B's, prior to the trade, with 6 goals and 10 assists in the first 12 games after having scored 60+ the prior season. If you look back to the time period, he was traded to one of the top rivals, the Rangers, which also must have felt like a kick to the family jewels. He was extremely bitter then and has held the grudge but, perhaps, is seeing some of his old teammates passing and is softening his stance. Espo in Boston was a memorable time in hockey and maybe he finally is embracing how great that time was and is now able to look past the trade which was a trendsetter for what we see today in sports on a regular basis.

All that said, it might just be his Italian temper (I can say that as an Italian) which we also know to be legendary along with his ability to score goals.

He didn't seem to mind when Ray gave up his number

Reactions: rfournier103

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Phil loved it here and didn't want to leave, not sure why as Bruins we wouldn't appreciate that...

He was not a very nice guy. I remember sneaking into harvard to watch a practice with a bunch of my 13 yo buddies and as kids we were bothering them at that bench.

Espo smashed his stick against the glass behind the bench and told us to " GTFOH" I remember Orr yelling at him "what the hell are you doing" ?

Needless to say he was not someone I liked after that LOL

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
He was not a very nice guy. I remember sneaking into harvard to watch a practice with a bunch of my 13 yo buddies and as kids we were bothering them at that bench.

Espo smashed his stick against the glass behind the bench and told us to " GTFOH" I remember Orr yelling at him "what the hell are you doing" ?

So in other words, you're holding a grudge...Phil was probably hung over...

Reactions: sooshii and Rumpy

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He may be, but if he hates Jacobs he can't be all bad...:laugh:

I don't hate Jacobs either. Sinden had the $ to do what he wanted, if anything I guess we can hate him for not firing him.

The guy spends to the cap and has given us beautiful facilities both in Allston and Boston to see our team play. I don't root for the owner.

aguineapig

I'd roll the red carpet on my hands and knees to Logan for this to happen. Could Phil be a jerk and did he have an ego? Probably. But in his heyday he was the greatest scorer the game had seen. For the team that still resonates with so many of us almost fifty years later. I loved Espo. Bobby was so shy and silent but hey Picasso didn't talk a lot about his masterpieces so I understand. Espo was the opposite. The gregarious Big Paisano, he could hold court in the dressing room with the best of them. He and Cheevers were the media darlings with their musings, Derek and Ace were the cool young Mod guys, Eddie Westfall and the Chief were the senior statesman trying to keep control over the court. Pie was the troublemaker who liked to wind the guys up. Crazy Cash was up for any prank whether it may have streched the boundaries of the law or not. Ace, Pie and Teddy are now gone, this may be the last time we are able to witness Hockey's Gas House Gang together again for one last time. So as the Good Lord said forgiveness is divine. And Jesus saves. AND ESPOSITO SCORES ON THE REBOUND!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

And when I met him,he couldn't have been nicer.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Phil and his brother Tony used to have a summer hockey camp in Weymouth when I was very young. I don't remember much, but my brother and parents said he was the nicest guy and was great with kids. My sister still swoons over Espo picking her up and kissing her on the cheek (she was 7 or 8 at the time).

As to Jacobs and him, I don't fault Phil one bit. By all accounts, the Bruins did him wrong.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I've been lucky enough to meet Orr and Esposito. Bobby lived up to his reputation as being a deity but Esposito was just as nice. He was doing old timers games to help vets who had all the money from the PA swiped by Eagleson and were struggling. The game I met him at was in Worcester and he took time for everybody long after the game was done.

Besides anybody that still hates JJ is OK in my book.

While this reunion will be bittersweet and another unkind reminder of how old I am getting it would be great to see all the surviving members of that Cup team back together.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Phil and his brother Tony used to have a summer hockey camp in Weymouth when I was very young. I don't remember much, but my brother and parents said he was the nicest guy and was great with kids. My sister still swoons over Espo picking her up and kissing her on the cheek (she was 7 or 8 at the time).

As to Jacobs and him, I don't fault Phil one bit. By all accounts, the Bruins did him wrong.
Esposito claimed in his book he left a huge deal on the table with the WHA because he wanted to stay in Boston. He wanted a no trade clause as part of the Bruins deal but Harry gave him his word he wouldn't move him. Months later he was on his way to NY. I'd be ****** to.

Dallas Smith was suppose to be part of deal instead of Vadnais but he didn't trust Harry and had a no trade in his deal. The trade almost feel apart because of it.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Nice to see the Bruins honoring the 1970 squad! Although I don’t remember them, the Bruins certainly wouldn’t be what they are today without them. I’m certain of that. From everything I’ve ever heard about those guys, they saved the Bruins.

Phil Esposito is the greatest goal scorer the Bruins have ever had to date, and I doubt anyone would debate that. If he has some kind of grudge with Jeremy Jacobs, or if Esposito isn’t the nicest guy on earth - I don’t care. I’ll be the first in line to thank him for his lasting contribution to Boston sports history.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I've been lucky enough to meet Orr and Esposito. Bobby lived up to his reputation as being a deity but Esposito was just as nice. He was doing old timers games to help vets who had all the money from the PA swiped by Eagleson and were struggling. The game I met him at was in Worcester and he took time for everybody long after the game was done.

Besides anybody that still hates JJ is OK in my book.

While this reunion will be bittersweet and another unkind reminder of how old I am getting it would be great to see all the surviving members of that Cup team back together.

I've met Bobby a couple times. The first time was at his sports camp in Orillia Ontario. I was 5, my big brother was attending the camp. My dad had painted a watercolor of Bobby circling around the net with the puck. Dad sent me and my sister (who was 4) to ask Bobby to autograph it. We crossed the tennis court where Bobby was standing and I squeaked out a "Excuse me Mr. Orr, can you sign this picture my father painted?" He replied, "Sure, and call me Bobby." He signed the picture, then got down on one knee (his good one) and talked to us as if we were lifelong friends.

Later on in my brother's stay, he picked up my month old infant brother, held him up over his head, and asked him if he was going to play hockey someday. Since back in those days you wanted a baby Christened before going on a long trip, my parents had him Christened just before we left. I distinctly remember my dad saying to my mom after Bobby picked him up "Now he's really been Christened!".

Everything good ever said about that man (was there ever anything bad?) is true 100 times over.

Oh and the autographed picture? Still have it today, and 50 years later it is still the only autograph I've ever gotten.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Esposito claimed in his book he left a huge deal on the table with the WHA because he wanted to stay in Boston. He wanted a no trade clause as part of the Bruins deal but Harry gave him his word he wouldn't move him. Months later he was on his way to NY. I'd be ****** to.

Dallas Smith was suppose to be part of deal instead of Vadnais but he didn't trust Harry and had a no trade in his deal. The trade almost feel apart because of it.

I think we can all agree that sometimes Harry Sinden was a dick.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My mother’s 5 best friends all time included Phil’s first wife Linda and mother of his 2 oldest children. They as in Phil & Linda remained somewhat friendly to her death about 8 -10 years ago. Linda’s second husband was a good friend of mine and would stay with us when he traveled - he played on those powerhouse Nebraska football teams in the early 1970’s that were loaded with future NFL stars

I was a few years older than the Espo girls and would sometimes go to games with them when he was here. His youngest passed away a few years ago - very sad. She had 2 boys

my father was friends with Phil but not overly close but he was still over the house quite a bit. He would play street ball with us and in the driveway street hockey, As a kid I liked him but he definitely was outgoing. I remember him catching a 751? Tuna - the Boat in back of us we used to go tuna fishing

Everyone took a rod and Espo hit - I can still see it hanging from the dock at Danversport

it’s sad he doesn’t associate with the Bruins - he was a lot of fun as a kid

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
My mother’s 5 best friends all time included Phil’s first wife Linda and mother of his 2 oldest children. They as in Phil & Linda remained somewhat friendly to her death about 8 -10 years ago. Linda’s second husband was a good friend of mine and would stay with us when he traveled - he played on those powerhouse Nebraska football teams in the early 1970’s that were loaded with future NFL stars

I was a few years older than the Espo girls and would sometimes go to games with them when he was here. His youngest passed away a few years ago - very sad. She had 2 boys

my father was friends with Phil but not overly close but he was still over the house quite a bit. He would play street ball with us and in the driveway street hockey, As a kid I liked him but he definitely was outgoing. I remember him catching a 751? Tuna - the Boat in back of us we used to go tuna fishing

Everyone took a rod and Espo hit - I can still see it hanging from the dock at Danversport

it’s sad he doesn’t associate with the Bruins - he was a lot of fun as a kid
There is a certain irony that after the 72 Summit Series he would have a Russian son in law.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is a certain irony that after the 72 Summit Series he would have a Russian son in law.
They lived next door to Mike Allstott the former Bucs FB. I was invited down never made it unfortunately. . Yah Alex Selivanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad