NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
You've had 65+ posts on this board since creating your account. Every single one has been about yourself or related to promoting yourself for this job.

You haven't talked at all about the team or roster leading up to or post FA.

So to me it seems like you're just trying to use this forum to plug yourself for the job and once you get/don't get that use out of the community here you are gone. If it was the Flyers/Ranger/Islanders/NJ etc. with a PxP vacancy I am sure you would be on their forum trying to sell yourself.

Gotta be honest none of this feels authentic.
He's a strange one, huh? I've never heard of anyone getting a job through self-promotion on an obscure hockey fan message board. Most normal people get an entry-level job in the industry and climb the ladder. Odd.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
Listening to you call games would be the dark side.

You don’t care about the team. You are just trying to get a job from the wrong people.

We have no say in the matter
I'm trying to get Bruins fans excited about the possibility of me being the team's play-by-play announcer while I still consider myself an active candidate, especially in hopes that enough positive reaction could eventually result in action. While I've certainly earned a lot of criticism, I'd say it's been a successful endeavor and that a decent number of people who were exposed to my calls seem to like them, and some have outright stated they hope I get the job.

He's a strange one, huh?
man you have no idea

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
He's a strange one, huh? I've never heard of anyone getting a job through self-promotion on an obscure hockey fan message board. Most normal people get an entry-level job in the industry and climb the ladder. Odd.
I don't consider HFBoards obscure, I think it's the most popular hockey message board that exists.

I've dedicated the last decade of my life to hockey broadcasting and I have called as many games as I can possibly do. I've worked with a lot of junior teams who have been good to me and want me to call their games.

I'm not sure why it's a requirement that I have to "climb the ladder". I'm ready now. If the Bruins position became available one year earlier, I would not be pursuing it so hard. But last season, everything clicked. And it's because I'm a lot more than just Big Call Guy. I start the broadcast, introduce myself, give a pregame, read the full line charts, call the game, analyze what's happening during breaks, and get you right through the 60 minutes or however many are played in that game, recap the end, maybe 3 stars of the game, good night.

It's a well-oiled machine. I raise the theatre curtain on the grand gladiator spectacle and I close it, that's my job. That's why I've devoted myself to hockey and not other sports, because it's the grandest M-F'ing thing that exists. I"m there for every goal, save, hit and fight.

I also don't think it should be discounted that I'm a local guy, and despite what some of you are saying, I do care about the Bruins. I was in disbelief at last year's Game 7 loss to the Panthers. I was ecstatic when Pasta scored the Game 7 winner this year vs Toronto. I was here, too, when the Blues beat them in the Stanley Cup and I was sad for Bruins fans on that day as well. I've been all over the U.S. and I came to New England for the hockey broadcasting opportunity. I made it work, and I'm still here.

Jonathan Stan

Jun 21, 2019
I'd assume most of those national guys try to educate the audience during their call due to the higher volume if random viewers vs the regional networks that have the same audience every time. It's annoying for those of us that follow the sport but probably really helpful and interesting to people trying to learn the game and the players/teams/etc.

McDonough isn't an exciting pick but I'd be fine with him. Probably a short term hire, can't imagine he has too many years left.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Regarding McDonough I would be surprised if he's your next PXP man. And here are a few reasons why:

1.) At ESPN every one of their NHL PXP people do not do a local team regularly. McDonough, Wischusen, Levy, Monaco, Buccigross, etc. Not sure why McDonough would break the mold if he's expected to continue to be not only one of ESPN's NHL voices, but their lead guy.

2.) During the NHL season Sean only does maybe one or two NHL games during the college football season. That's usually opening night and then the Black Friday game. He starts ramping up after the new year. If he were to take the Bruins TV job he's looking at a very busy fall. I don't know if at his age he wants to be that busy.

3.) If he were to take the job and keep his ESPN CFB job as their #2 PXP man, then that will force him to skip some Bruins games. Who will fill in for him? I guess Faust if he doesn't find full time employment elsewhere. Does NESN even want to have to find a replacement when Sean has national commitments? Jack Edwards, during years of good health, didn't ever have to take games off to my knowledge for national gigs.

Edwards and Brick called at least one Bruins games for VS back when the NHL was affiliated with that channel. From what I remember, he toned it down on the local homerism and slipped into his National broadcast shoes ( mostly ).

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I would be shocked if McDonough returned to full time local sports. Unless he does something similar to what he does for the Sox, a few Bruins games a year. He is the best in the business and has a full time national schedule in multiple sports. It makes absolutely zero sense for him to become the full time B's announcer at this point in his career. And, once again, NESN doesn't pay. He's not coming. Never was.

Reactions: drkfluff

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
I wish you nothing but the best of luck @jimmccabe40 , but this campaign has run its course here. Respectful request to end it. Thank you.
I've got nothing left, I've done everything I planned to do. While it's been a little tough not to take some of the things I've read here personally, I want to overall thank this community for putting up with my "politicking" and say "thanks" to any supporters that are here.

But I want to say additionally that based on the back-and-forth I've had, I still think I have a shot, so right now I'm just waiting.

Last edited:

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
You've had 65+ posts on this board since creating your account. Every single one has been about yourself or related to promoting yourself for this job.

You haven't talked at all about the team or roster leading up to or post FA.

So to me it seems like you're just trying to use this forum to plug yourself for the job and once you get/don't get that use out of the community here you are gone. If it was the Flyers/Ranger/Islanders/NJ etc. with a PxP vacancy I am sure you would be on their forum trying to sell yourself.

Gotta be honest none of this feels authentic.
I thought it was established earlier in this thread that I'd stick around regardless because some of you said that's what you wanted. I'm a man of my word and I said I would. I don't know my future, who does? but if this doesn't work out, regardless I think I can say I've become a fan of the Boston Bruins and that's that.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I've got nothing left, I've done everything I planned to do. While it's been a little tough not to take some of the things I've read here personally, I want to overall thank this community for putting up with my "politicking" and say "thanks" to any supporters that are here.

But I want to say additionally that based on the back-and-forth I've had, I still think I have a shot, so right now I'm just waiting.
Work for free, NESN will hire you on the spot!

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
Work for free, NESN will hire you on the spot!
1720641545916.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad