2011 Stanley Cup ESPN 30 for 30: I'm Just Here for the Riot

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A couple of things I remember vividly:

- a buddy who is a casual Bruins fan called with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd period of Game 7 to congratulate me and I told him to f off and not jinx it.
Once the CBC ended their coverage I called him back and he suggested going downtown just to see what was happening. I did think about it but finally decided just to stay home and watch TSN and Sportsnet at 11 pm for the post game interviews. It was about 20 minutes later that another friend called me and let me know that downtown Vancouver had become a warzone. :amazed:

- at the time I was bartending at a place called The Ice Bar in Vancouver ( Kingsway and 12th ) and there was a regular there that was an OK guy but was tight as hell with his money and was always asking for free beers. My bartending motto was that I never gave anything to customers that would ask for free stuff but if you were polite and a half decent tipper I would occasionally give you a drink on the house. Anyway - this guy wore the same well worn army jacket every day of the year regardless of how cold or hot it was. So a few days later he came in wearing this brand new Roots jacket - it was a letterman style jacket with patches of the Original 6 NHL teams on the arms. It was a very nice looking jacket and cost about $450. It used to be on display in the window of their man Vancouver store on Robson Street and that store was one of the stores that was heavily looted that night so I knew damn well where that jacket came from. So of course I asked him when he got it and how much it cost and he told me some BS story about how his GF bought it for him as a birthday gift and he had no idea how much it was. I knew he was full of sh*t and I'm pretty sure that he knew that I knew he was full of sh*t. :laugh:

Maybe cell phone pictures were not of great quality back then ????
Wow, great stories. Interesting about the jacket.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
These riots were way worse than I ever thought. It is amazing that both teams were able to get out safely.
I had season tickets in 304 at the time and 2 of the people in our section went to Game 7. They said they got stopped on their way out of the arena by security and told they had to remove any trace of Bruins gear for their own safety. Crazy to think that your fandom would put you in danger.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Pretty sad if you ask me. I hope some got arrested for it.
It’s reprehensible. I think the people that are in it did get arrested.

I had season tickets in 304 at the time and 2 of the people in our section went to Game 7. They said they got stopped on their way out of the arena by security and told they had to remove any trace of Bruins gear for their own safety. Crazy to think that your fandom would put you in danger.
You always expect to get heckled but it’s unnerving to think your fandom could cause you to be hurt

Reactions: Ladyfan

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
ESPN finally announced the date ( June 4th ) that this will air. Man I hope TSN gets around to airing this too.
TSN2 - Saturday June 8th, 12am Eastern, 1am Atlantic.
ps just noticed you got it!

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TSN1 5:00 Pacific Weds
According to my Telus on-screen listings here are the air times over the next 2 weeks:

Wednesday ( June 5th ) 5 pm Pacific / 8 pm Eastern on TSN1
Friday ( June 7th ) 1:30 pm Pacific / 4:30 pm Eastern on TSN2
Friday ( June 7th ) 9 pm Pacific / 12 am Eastern on TSN2
Sunday ( June 9th ) 2:30 pm Pacific / 5:30 pm Eastern on TSN1 and TSN4
Monday ( June 10th ) 10:30 pm Pacific on TSN2 / Tuesday ( June 11th ) 1:30 am on TSN2
Saturday ( June 15th ) 3 pm Pacific / 6 pm Eastern on TSN4

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It was 1984 and I was 14 and we traveled across Lawrence to the Tower Hill neighborhood because my brother had a baseball game.

Just as the game was ending, we could see smoke coming from the housing projects that were down the hill from the ballpark.

Just thinking it was a fire, for convenience (not safety) my grandfather headed home in the opposite direction, through Methuen.

The typical drive home would have taken us right past the fire…..which was actually the flashpoint of this riot.

Could have been a very dangerous situation for us and TBH, my guess is that if my dad wasn’t on a business trip and was the one driving, he probably would have driven home the normal way.

Luckily, my grandfather’s age and wisdom helped him make a better decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
IMG_0168.jpeg

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just finished watching the documentary. Wow. IMHO that was one of the best 30 for 30's I've seen in a long time. I'm probably gonna need a couple days to process my thoughts on this, but here's a few off the top of my head...

1. This wasn't a sports documentary. This was a documentary on the human condition.

2. The steps that Vancouver took to expose the perpetrators were fine in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of sympathy for the consequences that those involved had to deal with.

3. I love the fact that they referenced the '94 riots as well, for the benefit of the younger audience. I remember the '94 riots and also remember back in 2011, people talking about he '94 riots as a point of pride, and wanting to uphold tradition in some warped perspective.

4. I really appreciated that they called out the Social Media Mob as well as the ACTUAL MOB. The mob mentality exists on the internet, just as much as it does on the street. Even more so. I thought they elegantly drew a similarity between the crowd beating up and kicking a guy on the ground, during the riot, with people kicking people when they were down on social media as well. I get that those are 2 totally different situations, but I'm glad the documentary pointed it out.

5. On a lighter note. I absolutely laughed my ASS OFF, when the rioter described breaking into a store, shoplifting a bag of chips and the jar of maple syrup, and then smashing the maple syrup on the sidewalk as he left. I can't think of a more Canadian, nor more pathetic, thing to do during a riot if I tried. I couldn't stop laughing.

That last thing I'll say, is that I couldn't help but notice how many people were young and in their late teens to mid-twenties. It made me reflect on what I would have done at that age if I was in that situation. If I were in a similar situation cheering for my team in an outdoor venue, with my college buddies and shit-faced since 2pm.......I'd like to think that I'd have been smart enough to have been able to walk away. But if I'm completely honest, I'm not 100% sure that I would have.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just finished watching the documentary. Wow. IMHO that was one of the best 30 for 30's I've seen in a long time. I'm probably gonna need a couple days to process my thoughts on this, but here's a few off the top of my head...

1. This wasn't a sports documentary. This was a documentary on the human condition.

2. The steps that Vancouver took to expose the perpetrators were fine in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of sympathy for the consequences that those involved had to deal with. When you shit the bed, you also have to clean the sheets.

3. I love the fact that they referenced the '94 riots as well, for the benefit of the younger audience. I remember the '94 riots and also remember back in 2011, people talking about he '94 riots as a point of pride, and wanting to uphold tradition in some warped perspective.

4. I really appreciated that they called out the Social Media Mob as well as the ACTUAL MOB. The mob mentality exists on the internet, just as much as it does on the street. Even more so. I thought they elegantly drew a similarity between the crowd beating up and kicking a guy on the ground, during the riot, with people kicking people when they were down on social media as well. I get that those are 2 totally different situations, but I'm glad the documentary pointed it out.

5. On a lighter note. I absolutely laughed my ASS OFF, when the rioter described breaking into a store, shoplifting a bag of chips and the jar of maple syrup, and then smashing the maple syrup on the sidewalk as he left. I can't think of a more Canadian, nor more pathetic, thing to do during a riot if I tried. I couldn't stop laughing.

That last thing I'll say, is that I couldn't help but notice how many people were young and in their late teens to mid-twenties. It made me reflect on what I would have done at that age if I was in that situation. If I were in a similar situation cheering for my team in an outdoor venue, with my college buddies, and shit-faced since 2pm.......I'd like to think that I'd have been smart enough to have been able to walk away. But if I'm completely honest, I'm not 100% sure that I would have.

Mayor Menino was against watch parties because he knew Boston.

My vivid memory was leaving Rogers Arena at roughly 9:20 PM local time and a Vancouver police officer told us to take off our brand new Bruins hats and asked where our hotel was and we said Seattle and he barked - go there NOW.

He then said take Route 1A and your GPS will correct itself to get you on the 99. We got to Seattle around 11:30 PM - We were listening to 98.5 on Sirius/XM and we were oblivious to the riot until we got to border.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

2. The steps that Vancouver took to expose the perpetrators were fine in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of sympathy for the consequences that those involved had to deal with. When you shit the bed, you also have to clean the sheets.

That last thing I'll say, is that I couldn't help but notice how many people were young and in their late teens to mid-twenties. It made me reflect on what I would have done at that age if I was in that situation. If I were in a similar situation cheering for my team in an outdoor venue, with my college buddies, and shit-faced since 2pm.......I'd like to think that I'd have been smart enough to have been able to walk away. But if I'm completely honest, I'm not 100% sure that I would have.
My parents faces would’ve shown up in my head. I also know that my spidey senses would’ve taken over and told me not to do it. Not how I was raised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad