Unpopular opinions

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
On Gretzky’s 18th birthday (January 26, 1979), he’s now an Oiler and team owner Peter Pocklington rips up that 7 year personal services contract he bought from Skalbania and signs Wayne to a new 10 year personal services contract at a centre ice ceremony.
I think it was actually a 20-year contract.
Of course, Eric Lindros was unbelievably litigious and his family never hesitated to call upon the courts if they believed “the system” wasn’t what was best for the kid. That story is a book.
91S5vdCrdBL._SY522_.jpg

If it wasn't for David Steckel, Sidney Crosby would have this additional hardware on his c.v.:

2 Hart
2 Art Ross
1 Rocket Richard
1 Stanley Cup
1 Conn Smythe

He would have been anointed as one of the Top 5 ever at the end of the 2017 season and McDavid vs. Crosby comparisons would seem far fetched right now.

My Best-Carey
Yeah, this is more than a stretch.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If it wasn't for David Steckel, Sidney Crosby would have this additional hardware on his c.v.:

2 Hart
2 Art Ross
1 Rocket Richard
1 Stanley Cup
1 Conn Smythe

He would have been anointed as one of the Top 5 ever at the end of the 2017 season and McDavid vs. Crosby comparisons would seem far fetched right now.

My Best-Carey

I don't see him having three Conn Smythes in his career. If the Penguins had won the Cup in 2011, 2012 or 2013, they might not have acquired Kessel and made some of the other changes that helped them win in 2016 and 2017. The Smythe Crosby won in 2016 was weak and disputed. I think he would have needed a considerably better performance to win that year if he had already won a Conn Smythe.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Why does he get a second Hart and Art Ross without Steckel though? Malkin was exceptional in 2012 and I'm not sure how it plays out if Crosby is reasonably healthy.
Going without saying the following is speculation and there are hundreds of possible outcomes but Crosby was trending for about 130 points in 2010-11 before Steckel. Without the concussion, it is not unrealistic he wins Ross/Hart/Richard that year and keeps rolling the next year and easily beats Malkin's 109 points the next season playing at the same level. So there's the two additional Art Ross and possibly Harts and a Rocket.

As far as the Cup, in 2011 a peak Crosby could've easily made the difference in a 7-game loss to TB. And word was Malkin was ready to return for the second round. So, you have a healthy Pens team with Crosby playing his best hockey in the final eight. Not a lock for the Cup, but likely a favorite.

Also, 2012 Crosby was not the same player and had just played only 22 games that year after sitting out more than a year. Had he been completely healthy it is not outrageous to say the debacle vs. the Flyers doesn't happen and again the Pens are lined up for a Cup. So, 2011 or 2012 could have been Cup years, maybe both (that's a bit of a stretch), again without Steckel.

Even 2013, when PIttsburgh was soundly beaten by Boston in ECF, Crosby had slightly diminished as a player post-concussion and who knows. And the broken jaw from the Orpik blast late that season may have triggered extra symptoms due to the previous concussions.

There is the theory that Crosby was ramping up to a new level before Steckel and even was trending up to that new peak and was robbed by the concussions so everything post-Steckel was sort of blunted even to today.

My Best-Carey

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Apparently comparing the value of longevity vs peak is a deeply offensive topic.

I truly had no idea how upset people would get over that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby wins the Art Ross, Rocket, Hart and Lindsay in 09/10 if the Pens did not win the SC the year before. He had Cup hangover for the first 1/4 season.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Isn't Dave Keon considered one of the best Leafs of all time
Depends by who,

here yes:
also here:
Here in a list that start after the expansion and cut the first half of his Leaf career and Smythe
Still included has an extra 11 for respect

But when random fan vote:

Down to number 8.

Scotty Bowman had him above H.Richard, Messier, Ray bourquer, Sakic, Yzerman, etc... so according to some even he is regarded as the best leaf ever he can still be underrated by some, hfboards had him #99 below Mark Howe, Elmer Lach, Tim Horton in the last top 100 of all time for example.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Outside of maybe 2000 Playoffs. Bobby Clarke never put together a team good enough to win a Stanley Cup during the Lindros era. So it's no wonder he never won one.
This to a tee. Outside of the legion of doom line and Brind Amour they had nothing. Desjardins was a border line legit number 1 dman and the goaltending was always a carousel and they always filled out the bottom 6 with tough guys. How anyone thought they would beat a much deeper Detroit team in 97 is beyond me. Bringing Recchi back in 99 helped and bringing Primeau in in 2000 did as well but that team in 2000 was still thin very thin in the bottom 6 fs and bottom 4 d.

Reactions: Dale53130

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
. Desjardins was a border line legit number 1 dman
It depends on what we mean by legit number 1 dman, if we mean would have been the number 1 on your median D core team...

From 99 to 01 he was 5th in the NHL for the most minutes played (4th in minute per games),
Norris..: 4-5-10
all star: 2-2-13

8th among defenceman in points in the league while playing of the first PK units for his team type of player.

Seem like he reached top 16 D in the league clearly with some margin.

Outside Lidstrom-Bourque-Macinnis-Pronger-Blake-Zubov-Stevens (some debatable), I am not sure who would have been more number 1 than Desjardins during that time.

Could be a bias of being a Mtl fans, my bar for who would have been a number 1D or first liner on my team was quite low... Malakhov when from number 1 issh on my team to number 4 on the Devils and Rangers right after.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This to a tee. Outside of the legion of doom line and Brind Amour they had nothing. Desjardins was a border line legit number 1 dman and the goaltending was always a carousel and they always filled out the bottom 6 with tough guys. How anyone thought they would beat a much deeper Detroit team in 97 is beyond me. Bringing Recchi back in 99 helped and bringing Primeau in in 2000 did as well but that team in 2000 was still thin very thin in the bottom 6 fs and bottom 4 d.
Outside of maybe 2000 Playoffs. Bobby Clarke never put together a team good enough to win a Stanley Cup during the Lindros era. So it's no wonder he never won one.
I think this is hindsight bias.

The 97 Flyers were an absolute runaway train in the playoffs until they met Detroit.

The Rangers were such a neat team that year with Gretzky and Messier (f*** Messier, but that was to come) giving it one last hurrah. And then the Flyers came in and just dominated them.

Then, against Detroit the prevailing wisdom was that Konstantinov would be used as a fire against fire sort of match up.

It's a somewhat underrated coaching genius move of Bowman where he completely outmatched Terry "we're choking" Murray by putting the cerebral Lidstrom and Murphy against them and shutting them down.

But nobody saw that coming at the time. Everyone was measuring the Flyers for cup rings. So to use hindsight bias to say 'nobody thought they could do it' is just factually incorrect.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
But nobody saw that coming at the time. Everyone was measuring the Flyers for cup rings. So to use hindsight bias to say 'nobody thought they could do it' is just factually incorrect.
I do remember favoring the Flyers that year and my friend that played and knew hockey way more than me, just said: Detroit did just beat Colorado, the Flyers has no chance as almost a matter of fact.

When the Wings won against the 107 points Sakic-Lemieux-Kamensky-Forsberg-Young-Ricci-Keane-Deadmarsh Avs, we should have knew without a doubt they were heavy favorite.

Klemm-Gusarov-Miller-Lefevre-Ozolinsh-Foote, those are all Top 4 or better ds that would on some team play 22+ minutes in the playoff type, with Roy in net. Forsberg as often was not fully there, but still, that was a better team than the Flyers that just won the cup and sound logic.

But yes nobody thought is incorrect... I thought they could, but in hindsight they never faced a RedWings-Colorado team in their journey, not close to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I think this is hindsight bias.

The 97 Flyers were an absolute runaway train in the playoffs until they met Detroit.

The Rangers were such a neat team that year with Gretzky and Messier (f*** Messier, but that was to come) giving it one last hurrah. And then the Flyers came in and just dominated them.

Then, against Detroit the prevailing wisdom was that Konstantinov would be used as a fire against fire sort of match up.

It's a somewhat underrated coaching genius move of Bowman where he completely outmatched Terry "we're choking" Murray by putting the cerebral Lidstrom and Murphy against them and shutting them down.

Of course, the Rangers were top heavy too, especially after all the injuries they sustained. The first time I saw Dallas Eakins was as an AHL defender they called up to play as a winger against Philadelphia.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Red Wings win the 2009 Stanley Cup if the NHL doesn't force them to play their next playoff series before they are ready.
But they took the first two games at home in that series. Hard to say they weren't rested or well-prepared to start.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
That may be true. But Lindros could have stayed in Quebec after being drafted and teamed up with Sakic, Sundin, et al, for multiple Cups if he hadn't been such horse's ass in the first place.

My Best-Carey

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think the Flyers were heavy favorites before the 1997 Finals. They were probably more talked about by the hockey media because they were the new, shiny toy, but I don't think hockey people distinctly favored them. Detroit's problem with media hype then was that they'd developed a bit of a choke reputation, and had already had their Finals hype two years earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad